• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jam_Man

Life President
I started supporting Southend as a kid, and have been on and off over 30 years (with plenty of years constantly going and a massive chunk where I didnt go at all).

In that time I've seen promotions with Dave Webb's team, Tilsons promotions, beating Man Utd etc but today was without doubt the best day I've had in all those years.

Getting promoted to Division One for the first time with Webb and back to the Championship with Tilson were incredible times, yet both occurred when I wasnt there on the day, ie Swansea/Bury. The home game against Bristol City when we won the actual title was a pretty special experience of course, one memory right up there with the best.

However today just tops it all.

I've said before that getting promoted in the play-offs is the best way to get promoted, and that has proven to be so true. Thank you Morecambe, you did us a massive favour. It would have been great to win up there and be promoted, but there is no way that would have felt half as good as I felt this evening.

We got to Wembley about 2pm, we were far too early and it was raining and cold and miserable, but we were in good spirits. We got interviewed on BBC Essex along Wembley Way, probably because there wasnt much option at that time, then we headed to the Civic Centre just to get warm and dry where we stayed till about 3-00pm before venturing out to soak up the atmosphere (accidentally spending 20 minutes in the Wycombe "pub" area).

The game was not a classic in the football sense, but you will never beat drama like that. I thought we were the better side without being able to say we clearly deserved to be winning, yet somehow we found ourselves behind, and typically to one of those sods law goal when it hits Bentley on its way out. Cue a 20 minutes or so of despair, it was over, we had lost. I had already cleared our seats and had my bag on my shoulder as I couldnt bear to see Wycombe celebrating for any longer than I had to. Then it went in and everything changed. We went berserk and that feeling was incredible, and we hadnt even won the game, just managed to stay in it to penalties.

Even in penalties we looked like we may have lost it again when Coker missed, yet every player after kept burying them and whilst they did I felt Bentley would stop one, and he did. Cue incredible scenes of relief and celebration, well most of you know as you were there.

My kids attend football because I do, today they experienced it I felt for the first time as supporters, my son got into the game and the experience in a way I've never seen before, he was so into the celebrating and enjoying the success it was brilliant to see. Ive personally not felt as emotional before as I did when that penalty was saved.

Having that experience with my family, the fact we have been in this league for 5 years after years of financial problems and disappointments in 2 play offs and missing out on the automatics just made this priceless for me.

Brilliant stuff, and Ive not even drunk a drop :smile:

One point I have to mention, all the talk in the past of daytrippers ruining the atmosphere was again totally dismissed.

The supporters today from both sides were fantastic. Less than half full and still we got that kind of atmosphere.

Again, just added to a magical day.

I have been present at every promotion game since Stockport away in the 80s. I have always maintained that Bury away benji and all that was the best.
I can finally say I have a day to top that. We just scored a last gasp extra time equaliser...at Wembley. ...then a youth team product steps up in the penalty shoot out and becomes a legend. To top it all the atmosphere on there today was amazing...just amazing a team a town a community coming together for one magic evening. I love southend

Bentley playing a massive part, Payne a kid in his first season coming on and at his age taking a penalty and converting it.

Players that have been slaughtered this season like Bolger and Weston stepping up the plate and delivering.

Coker, who missed his penalty but kept us at 1-0 with that absurdly good challenge at the end he had no right to win.

Barrett burying his penalty and helping winning us promotion for the 2nd time at a final 10 years after the first.

The more I think about what happened today the more special it becomes.

I hope the team reads all these messages I really do! Well done yeeeelllowsss you all did a fantastic job!!!! Now go and get hammered!!!! Get shaggged!!!! You ****ing deserve it!

What an incredible day. Just got back to Southend. I lost belief near the end of extra time I have to admit, but they come good. What great penalties!!!!

from despair to elation in a second. amazing. after Timlin scored his penalty i knew we would win, but a few minutes after they scored we were done, we'd given it all and come up short. then we scored. i was shaking, every nerve in my body was on fire. then penalties and the tension but we won the toss and went first. i was confident then, but Coker missed. i just knew Bentley would save one then the pressure told.

Even Myles Weston did the business, i'll never criticise him again (until next season).

amazing, i've never known a turn around like it. Amazing

Last edited:
It was quite simply unbelievable, I simply couldn't believe that Wycombe's final penalty hadn't gone in for about 5 minutes afterwards. Couldn't be prouder of our fans, and the team, who never give up, never surrender.

I remember being in Cardiff for Wrexham and Lincoln. I wad 7/8 years old and although I followed Southend, I didnt really feel that I supported them. That day in Cardiff when Freddy banged it in, I became a supporter. Lifelong. Today, 10 years later, I'm proud to say I'm still here not wishing it to be any different. The scenes when Pigott scored that goal. Oh my God.

As the clocks disappeared from the big Wembley screens at the end of extra time i found myself thinking 's**t this has gone pear shaped'! Then i'm thinking of the key players whose contracts are up for renewal and if we don't score they're going, and were back to 'throw a six and start again'

Oh me of little faith

Great thread. I can honestly say this doesn't top the Bury experience given the historical context of the game. Im sitting here trying trying to work out where this ranks and i think it tops the Swansea, Millenium promotion, Peterboro and Stockport days. So many other great days in our history eg Bristol City and Man U and the Tottenham 3-2.

For the week i've had, for the day i had yesterday, for the sheer rollercoaster of emotion this has to rank second. I am emotionally worn out ! There's much more to come later.

Im hoping we gained some new fans yesterday too.

As to the atmosphere. TOP CLASS ! Naturally a five minute lull when we went behind but soon picked up again.

A great day with memorable scenes at the end. 20000 Sarfenders united in joy and such relief after 120 minutes of typical League 2 football.
The game summed up the season, a roller coaster of ups and downs culminating in a sweet victory and trophy, brilliant.

Just how many sufc fans attended the day , i can tell you watching from a stream here in Melbourne you were all great ,what a noise you made ,congratulations everyone of you, and as for the players ,well ! you certainly lost that tag of chokers , brilliant fight back ,and Piggott may never dona SUFC shirt agin ,but he will remember this all his life ,thank you all for a sleepless night and for finally after 60 years supporting SUFC ,i have witnessed them ( albeit via a stream ) gaining promotion.
:smile:

Great thread, great day, amazing atmosphere (my voice has completely gone and I can't remember ever doing so much singing for 145 minutes) and a once in a lifetime set of circumstances at the end.

I just got back to Dublin, have had no more than two hours sleep straight since Thursday and have spent hundreds and hundreds but it was totally worth it. What a day to be a Shrimper.

Back