• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I don't know where he was from. Maybe you could tell us.

Nicky was seeing a bloke from Benfleet around 1982/83 who had a nasty reputation, hence the question. I won't say his name just in case it isn't who you mentioned in your post.

Nicky was seeing a bloke from Benfleet around 1982/83 who had a nasty reputation, hence the question. I won't say his name just in case it isn't who you mentioned in your post.

Having played football against teams like the Sam Lord and Creekside Saints that fits the description of every male in Benfleet during the 80's.:winking:

At a guess I would say no as she was seeing another famous Shrimper around the late 83 era. So I assume she met this guy some time after that.

One wonders how on earth the club recovered from that. It was about then I stopped going for a couple of years because it was absolutely dire in every respect.

Have to admit I did as well. Having 'got' into Marathon running and the birth of my first son, I had better things to use my leisure time on at weekends.

One wonders how on earth the club recovered from that. It was about then I stopped going for a couple of years because it was absolutely dire in every respect.

Have to admit I did as well. Having 'got' into Marathon running and the birth of my first son, I had better things to use my leisure time on at weekends.
How quickly it all collapsed, other threads talk of the crowd and atmosphere against Liverpool, yet only a few months after the Liverpool game we had at the time our lowest ever League crowd of just under 3,000. Things of course picked up a bit in the 1980/1 season, but by the time I started going regular 82/3 onwards and during the mid 80's football was on its last legs. Not just at Southend but all over the country.
How the club got through the 1984/5 season when our highest crowd all season was only 2,942 I will never know. Our local derby home crowd v Colchester was only 2,190 !!!

Loved Dave Smith , my first manager as a fan. Met him at the Odeon when he was a guest for the first showing of Escape to Victory" ( If Carlsberg did 11 yr old boy's nights eh ??)

Anyway , as a certified legend of the Club , if he's still fit enough to travel does the Club or maybe Shrimper Trust have a plan to bring him to a match and maybe do Q&A or presentation ??

Please let this happen before it's too late , we've had too many of instances of "if only they knew how much they were loved " lately .

That would be great..and very true.
Or at least get on the SHR.ZONE and we could write to him.
Just think whats happened to G.Taylor...it can happen quick

Back