• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Tilly/Brush need to mix it up as we have the blend of the team all wrong at the moment.

Fact - Since we beat Canvey 2-1 we haven't scored a goal from open play.

Fact - From what I hear we haven't actually created too many chances either... last year we had more shots than any other team in the division.  This year we are not making the chances to miss... and that is a REAL worry.

Fact - We haven't won a league match since Easter Monday v Darlington - and we came back from 2-0 down in that one!

Fact -  We haven't kept a clean sheet since March 3rd v Boston away; that's 16 league games.

Firstly Edwards and Prior are too similar.  If he plays them together then IMHO he would also have to play either Barrett or Hunt who are slightly quicker.  Perhaps a 5 man defence is a possibility for away games.

The full backs pick themselves to a degree.

Midfield - this is where the real problems are.

Gower - an imitation of last seasons player of the year.  The only player however who CAN create something so he must start (if fit).

As for the rest - Maher, Hunt, Pettefer, Corbett, Bentley, Wilson, Bramble, Husbands... all these players can play midfield (obviously some better than others) and we have Jay to come back when fit.  But with our lacklustre performances so far we have to seriously look at the supply line.

Bentley is box-to-box and will chip in with a few goals a season.  He is worth a place in the middle.

Maher?  Right - please note I AM NOT SPECIFICALLY HAVING A POP AT KEVIN MAHER!  But in 2 out of 3 league games he has failed to rally the troops and find an extra gear when necessary.  Tilly has to relieve him of the captaincy and fast!  

It is no good playing Wilson, Hunt or Pettefer in the same midfield as Maher.  None of them create anything.  Consequently either Husbands, Corbett or Bramble must be on wide right (and Tes is still suspended).

Up front we could have Michael Owen and Ruud Van Nistelrooy but if the midfield don't supply then they wouldn't  score.  But my preferred partnership is Broughton/Corbett at  the moment.

Consequently I woul have the following team for Saturday (fitness permitting)

Griemink

Jupp
Barrett (capt)
Edwards or Prior
Nicolau

Gower
Maher
Bentley
Husbands

Broughton
Corbett

Subs

Flahahan
Dudfield
Gray
Hunt
Pettefer

This sort of team has a much better feel IMHO.  However, whether Tilly has the bottle to make such radical changes so early in the season I am not sure.  I somehow doubt it.

It definately is getting that correct combination of midfielders servicing the correct forwards who compliment each other. Until that happens I think we are going to struggle. Tilson has to be brave and do manager things, whether they are popular with some of the players who feel the first team is a given right. We have 5/6 players biting at the bit to have a run out in the first team. If they are given the chance they should grasp it with open arms and pressure for the position

Craven gave Jupp the MOTM award. If going absent without leave for Rochdale's first goal and slipping before they scored their second gives him this right then I am astounded. Yes, he gets forward, but like, Gower, if it breaks down, he forgets that it is his job to track back. Playing one wide midfielder and three central midfielders, expecting one of the three to fill the other wide spot is ludicrous when we have Corbett available who can fill either wide role or move up front, has the ability to track back and is not scared to get in where it hurts. What really does he have to do if Tilson cant even find a place for him on the bench. We can only hope that Tilson doesnt have the same favourites rule as Rob Newman which, based on present performances would prove disastrous!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Aug. 16 2004,00:05)]Tilly/Brush need to mix it up as we have the blend of the team all wrong at the moment.

Fact - From what I hear we haven't actually created too many chances either... last year we had more shots than any other team in the division.  This year we are not making the chances to miss... and that is a REAL worry.

Fact - We haven't won a league match since Easter Monday v Darlington - and we came back from 2-0 down in that one!

Fact -  We haven't kept a clean sheet since March 3rd v Boston away; that's 16 league games.

Firstly Edwards and Prior are too similar.  If he plays them together then IMHO he would also have to play either Barrett or Hunt who are slightly quicker.  Perhaps a 5 man defence is a possibility for away games.

Gower - an imitation of last seasons player of the year.  The only player however who CAN create something so he must start (if fit).

As for the rest - Maher, Hunt, Pettefer, Corbett, Bentley, Wilson, Bramble, Husbands... all these players can play midfield (obviously some better than others) and we have Jay to come back when fit.  But with our lacklustre performances so far we have to seriously look at the supply line.

Bentley is box-to-box and will chip in with a few goals a season.  He is worth a place in the middle.

Maher?  Right - please note I AM NOT SPECIFICALLY HAVING A POP AT KEVIN MAHER!  But in 2 out of 3 league games he has failed to rally the troops and find an extra gear when necessary.  Tilly has to relieve him of the captaincy and fast!  

It is no good playing Wilson, Hunt or Pettefer in the same midfield as Maher.  None of them create anything.  Consequently either Husbands, Corbett or Bramble must be on wide right (and Tes is still suspended).

Up front we could have Michael Owen and Ruud Van Nistelrooy but if the midfield don't supply then they wouldn't  score.  But my preferred partnership is Broughton/Corbett at  the moment.

Griemink

Jupp
Barrett (capt)
Edwards or Prior
Nicolau

Gower
Maher
Bentley
Husbands

Broughton
Corbett

Subs

Flahahan
Dudfield
Gray
Hunt
Pettefer

This sort of team has a much better feel IMHO.  However, whether Tilly has the bottle to make such radical changes so early in the season I am not sure.  I somehow doubt it.
I think your wrong, I believe Dudfield has to play, he is by far the best striker at the club, but needs to be playing all match.

According to Football First

Poss Shots on Shots off
Rochdale - 46% 2 4
Southend - 54% 9 3

So we had plenty of chances to score at least one whereas Rochdale had 2 shots on and scored 2
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Aug. 16 2004,09:09)]According to Football First

Poss  Shots on  Shots off
Rochdale   - 46%         2             4
Southend   - 54%        9             3

So we had plenty of chances to score at least one whereas Rochdale had 2 shots on and scored 2
sad.gif
Wow, now I'm not saying you'd lie, but that is unbelievable. I saw us and we just didn't look like scoring at all at any point in the game. I have to admit though we did have a few chances, but there was at times it would seem an invisible wall round that goal. I think we should have some faith about our goals possibly. It must turn round at some point surely, but Barrett really should be played as captain he added an urgency against Rochdale when he came on for Prior.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (one flew over the cockles nest @ Aug. 16 2004,09:07)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Aug. 16 2004,00:05)]Tilly/Brush need to mix it up as we have the blend of the team all wrong at the moment.

Griemink

Jupp
Barrett (capt)
Edwards or Prior
Nicolau

Gower
Maher
Bentley
Husbands

Broughton
Corbett

Subs

Flahahan
Dudfield
Gray
Hunt
Pettefer

I think your wrong, I believe Dudfield has to play, he is by far the best striker at the club, but needs to be playing all match.
If Dudfield plays (and I agree he is a good striker - probably the best technically) then IMHO it is no good playing Broughton because Dudfield is not a "feeder".

Broughton is a big "hold-it-up-and-lay-it-off" type chap... and I think Corbett is the only person we have who is the type to feed off him successfully.

Dudfield isn't a target man and if we are looking to play with wide players then we need some height in the middle.

Dudfield and Gray could work but to be honest I don't think we have the midfielders to supply them. Whilst Maher occupies a central midfield slot we have to look at the supply coming fom the wings - hence the need for a big man in the middle. The only one of them we have is Drewe. Dudfield and gray don't work particularly well as partners to Drewe - hence the Corbett suggestion.

Having said that... if Corbett was to play in central midfield alongside Maher then maybe a Dudfield/Gray partnership could work out. Who knows?

I just think that unless we get something from Saturday then we could easily end up losing our next 2 (B Rovers and Macclesfield who are both in the top 3) which would leave us firmly rooted to th foot of the table with 6 games played and in a lot of trouble.

To be honest im not sure what team i would have. Surely we must play Dudfield. In his loan spell last year he scored virtually every game and looked extremely impressive. Sure he did ease off a bit towards the end of the season but why isn't he first choice? Tilly has got a choice to make does he want to do the Raneiri role where you keep swapping a certain few around until he finds the right mix. Or does he stick with this team and give it chance to prove itself. I am not worried about our poor start however if Tilson does stick with this team and we loose the next couple of league matches i would like too see changes made.

I think Jupp had a good game myself!
The 1st goal was great a one (when some of our supporters were saying it was a fluke made me laugh). The 2nd? Penalty, how could it be Juppy's fault.
If anyone's at fault it's the team!
tounge.gif

I think Dudfield needs to start. At Rochdale on Saturday it could be seen we had far more movement and runs off the ball from him when he came on as opposed to Gray who did not give us any movement up front. Think Dudfield set up a couple of one two's with Petts and we got round the back a couple of times but to no avail.

The problem at the moment is that Tilson is accepting the performances so far, even though only 3 games gone. The bench at Rochdale was Flahaven, Hunt, Wilson, Barrett and Dudfield - not many options, and with the likes of Husbands and Corbett being totally overlooked we have very few options to change. 3 central midfielders and Gower as the wide man doesn't work, we need options on the flanks as we have very little width, and to overlook Husbands and Corbett and stick with the squad that has produced 1 goal, that a penalty, from 3 games seems to be a recipe for disaster. Our set play from kick offs - long ball high and left to Broughton - every time, seems to suggest that we are tactically naive when basically we have a very good squad that is not being used to it's strengths. Only 3 games gone but it really has to be changed and if the current squad and tactics aren't working then the idea of a squad is to have competition for places which, by the exclusion of Husbands and Corbett, who are both hungry to play, then the pressure isn't on the chosen team especially when we have limitations on the changes by virtue of the selected substitutes.

Without the benefit of having seen the three games I'd suggest the problems are exactly the same as last year - see my various posts about a) lack of width as we're playing central midfielders on the wing b) Drewe's ineffectiveness and c) the need for a midfielder who does more than sit there like Maher.

In addition I'd have thought we have a lack of pace in the centre.

I'm not being funny, HKB, but what are you basing your opions on? Video highlights? Blues World commentary, or whatever's available in print?

Just wondering?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Aug. 17 2004,12:50)]b) Drewe's ineffectiveness
So was it his fault for the awful team performance against Cheltenham as well?

It was however partly his fault we walked away with one point from Lincoln rather than none!

Einstein

Back