• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Blue Boar & The Spread Eagle Pubs

Used to love the Cork and Cheese in the mid to late 80s, it was our go to pub for after work shenanigans on a Friday night. The landlord (or possibly owner) that I remember was Peter Miller, as I recall, he sold up - or left - and went to set up a hotel in Le Touquet. Don't remember any topless barmaids!!! :Stunned:

Used to love the Cork and Cheese in the mid to late 80s, it was our go to pub for after work shenanigans on a Friday night. The landlord (or possibly owner) that I remember was Peter Miller, as I recall, he sold up - or left - and went to set up a hotel in Le Touquet. Don't remember any topless barmaids!!!:Stunned:

There wasn't any topless barmaids in the time you quoted, mid to late 80s, but there definitely was in the time I quoted in the late 70s. As confirmed by Gt Yarmouth Shrimper. Not something a young man would forget. Didn't know where to put your eyes sometimes.
It did pack the pub out at the time, nearly all men. I think they only did it Friday night and all day Saturday. So it had the desired effect. I think it lasted less than a year as these were the times of Mary Whitehouse, and I think there was some sort of sexploitation campaign against the pub.

Last edited:
Used to love the Cork and Cheese in the mid to late 80s, it was our go to pub for after work shenanigans on a Friday night. The landlord (or possibly owner) that I remember was Peter Miller, as I recall, he sold up - or left - and went to set up a hotel in Le Touquet. Don't remember any topless barmaids!!! :Stunned:
No there were no topless barmaids in the 80's but My Father did tell Me stories of the 70's.
As at college in the mid to late 80's was a regular haunt.
My wife and I used to both go there before before Fantasy's(remember that).
Strangely We never met there, but did become our regular.
The guy who run it and was resident Dj was called Chris! but iirc the owner was related to the Monty family.

No there were no topless barmaids in the 80's but My Father did tell Me stories of the 70's.
The guy who run it and was resident Dj was called Chris! but iirc the owner was related to the Monty family.

Did your dad mention the topless barmaids in the 70s?

The southend tech do”s at fantasy we’re epic, I haven’t thought of that for a long time ( and lunch in the Chinese on Fridays). Cheers for making me smile

Just seen pictures of the blue boar pub and they are definitely trying to make this a southend supporters pub, are away fans expected to go to railway or into town centre now ?

The Blue Boar is up for sale. The guide price is £200,000. Michelle and Alan will continue to run the pub and continue to pay rent.

Very busy on match days but like a morgue during the week.

Why did the leave the spread which has so much more space, and an outside area for live music and bbqs etc. Since then it's completely died a death.

Railway is the best option

Why did the leave the spread which has so much more space, and an outside area for live music and bbqs etc. Since then it's completely died a death.

Must admit since I've experienced a bit of claustrophobia that I used to find it a bit difficult to manage The Spread before/immediately after home games. That and my hating of plastic glasses. Oh, and the really loud music too (after games).

Never been to The Railway (in Prittlewell) but have often passed it after having a pint or two in Rochford before games, then getting the train in. Nice and quiet in most of the pubs there (and good beers in particular at The Golden Lion and Miley) which accords with my increasingly old codger/Victor Meldrew perspectives.

Last edited:

I *THINK* Michelle ran both but fell out with the owners of the spread and walked away. They all migrated across with her to the boar.

Must admit since I've experienced a bit of claustrophobia that I used to find it a bit difficult to manage The Spread before/immediately after home games. That and my hating of plastic glasses. Oh, and the really loud music too (after games).

Never been to The Railway (in Prittlewell) but have often passed it after having a pint or two in Rochford before games, then getting the train in. Nice and quiet in most of the pubs there (and good beers in particular at The Golden Lion and Miley) which accords with my increasingly old codger/Victor Meldrew perspectives.
To be honest I could never get on with the Spread . I know that 50 odd years ago a certian Southend Legend and his crew drank in there before the games , so everyone else did . It became a bit of a tradition to drink in there and a few years ago Old Leigh Comm all met there as a reunion before all going to a game for old times sake .

Railway by far the best one around the ground in my opinion. Nice pub well looked after, good selection of beers in glasses, excellent service and nice garden area.

The railway is the best been drinking in there for for a few years

Spread Eagle was far better than the Blue Boar. It feels like an old couple down sizing to a one bedroom bungalow from living in a three bedroom house. I really don’t like the Boar and I miss the Spread and I’m sure everyone else does. All good things come to an end though.

To be honest I could never get on with the Spread . I know that 50 odd years ago a certian Southend Legend and his crew drank in there before the games , so everyone else did . It became a bit of a tradition to drink in there and a few years ago Old Leigh Comm all met there as a reunion before all going to a game for old times sake .
Was that I.L. ?

But the Blue Boar is all caught up with our founding myths! It has to be supported (well, in my view, anyway).

But the Blue Boar is all caught up with our founding myths! It has to be supported (well, in my view, anyway).

Yeah but that was when it was a proper pub. It's probably only a 3rd of the size it once was. 40 odd people in there and you can't move.

Railway has decent beer. A larger floor space and a nice beer garden. Still only 5 mins from the ground.

Not knocking the staff in the boar but it's a mismatch in what is on offer.

Back