• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Blue Boar & The Spread Eagle Pubs

FD Shrimper

Schoolboy
Its been announced that home fans will be allowed in the Blue Boar pub for low category home games this season.

I think it said all home games, it will be away fans who are only welcome at low category games. Not sure where the away fans will drink now.

That doesn't make sense. I was told the Landlord of the Spread took over the struggling Blue Boar. He's now meant to run both. The only Southend fans that will probably go in the Blue Boar are the Spread patrons. So he's losing all that away fan business. That's the only reason that pub survives.

I used to nip in for a pint or 2 before a game in the last 5 or 10 years. Mind you I used to work the old music venue in years gone by so have some attachment to the place..

I find it strange that it isn’t the home pub given the history concerned.

I think I’ve only been in the Blue Boar a couple of times in nearly 20 years of supporting the team. The Spread is definitely the better pub but as I said I’m surprised the Blue Boar isn’t a home pub. Surely due to the demise of the Golden Lion?

The Golden Lion is a retro car and motorcycle parts shop now isn’t it?

Found this.

After years spent in a state of disrepair, the Edwardian-built Golden Lion, in Southend, has followed the Spread Eagle by being restoring to its former glory – but not as a pub.

Owner Richard King, 57, bought the building three-and-a- half years ago after it had already been vacant for a year. He quietly moved in his vintage car parts business, Karmann Konnection, in December, before finishing the facade’s restoration this month.

Now a sign hangs outside stating the nature of his business, even though he has lovingly restored the Golden Lion lettering both on the side and the front of the building, as well as replacing acid-etched windows, cleaning the brickwork and paying for a new lick of paint.

Mr King even stayed true to minor details by sourcing replacement bricks from a brickyard which closed down 12 years ago and tracking down 13 old chimney pots to replace the ones that had been removed.

The Golden Lion was built as a coaching inn in 1901 and currently houses tenants on the first and second floors.

Found this.

After years spent in a state of disrepair, the Edwardian-built Golden Lion, in Southend, has followed the Spread Eagle by being restoring to its former glory – but not as a pub.

Owner Richard King, 57, bought the building three-and-a- half years ago after it had already been vacant for a year. He quietly moved in his vintage car parts business, Karmann Konnection, in December, before finishing the facade’s restoration this month.

Now a sign hangs outside stating the nature of his business, even though he has lovingly restored the Golden Lion lettering both on the side and the front of the building, as well as replacing acid-etched windows, cleaning the brickwork and paying for a new lick of paint.

Mr King even stayed true to minor details by sourcing replacement bricks from a brickyard which closed down 12 years ago and tracking down 13 old chimney pots to replace the ones that had been removed.

The Golden Lion was built as a coaching inn in 1901 and currently houses tenants on the first and second floors.
I wonder how many hapless drinkers have wandered in their by mistake...

No beer today!!

I do wonder how hard hard it would be for SUFC to have one of those semi permanent marquees ( like Wycombe) selling beer in the car park or behind the north bank for away fans.

I do wonder how hard hard it would be for SUFC to have one of those semi permanent marquees ( like Wycombe) selling beer in the car park or behind the north bank for away fans.

Not very, but as one can see from the crumbling infrastructure at Roots Hall, the management are clearly not willing to spend money on a facility which is, supposedly, going to be replaced in the near future...

So Where will away fans drink now?

Nothing remotely near the ground.

Drinking near the stadium is **** poor these days.

The demise of the golden lion and the Nelson didn't. Help matters at all.

I guess the plough the cricketers or saxon king etc would be a good shout for the away lot now being a 10 min walk away.

Back