• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Eh? How can we have regressed so far that we've "come to expect" racism from a crowd of drunk young men? Likening it to "banter that's gone a bit too far" is also appalling. Racism is racism, it's unlike any other form of chanting and should be immediately dealt with. Life-time bans for all involved, and I'd encourage those to have witnessed it report those involved.
First off I agree with everything else you have said, but a life-time ban seems too harsh in some circumstances. If a young 17/18 year old man has too much to drink and drunkenly blurts out a racist remark, obviously it is incredibly stupid but doesn't necessarily make that person a 'racist', just a spare of the moment idiotic comment fueled by alcohol and being part of a large group. In that situation, I think a 1 or 2 year ban would suffice, and if it ever happened again straight life time ban.

For the record I've never chanted anything racist at a football match and am certainly not condoning racism.

IF this is happening in TBV then all the other members of TBV have to stamp on it whenever it happens.

We cant have racism anywhere in the ground, to have it in the part of the crowd intended to improve the atmosphere would be a disaster.

First off I agree with everything else you have said, but a life-time ban seems too harsh in some circumstances. If a young 17/18 year old man has too much to drink and drunkenly blurts out a racist remark, obviously it is incredibly stupid but doesn't necessarily make that person a 'racist', just a spare of the moment idiotic comment fueled by alcohol and being part of a large group. In that situation, I think a 1 or 2 year ban would suffice, and if it ever happened again straight life time ban.

For the record I've never chanted anything racist at a football match and am certainly not condoning racism.

Sorry, I can't see how 'drink racism' should be treated any differently. Millions of people up and down the country can seemingly enjoy a few beers without casually discriminating against someone else's creed or colour, so I don't see why that should change if they happen to be at a football match.

There needs to be a no-nonsense approach to racism in football otherwise all we're doing is treading water.

Racism has no place in football or any football stadium so if true I hope the club are reading this or have been informed of the mindless minority and take stern action before the authorities take action against the club.

Sorry, I can't see how 'drink racism' should be treated any differently. Millions of people up and down the country can seemingly enjoy a few beers without casually discriminating against someone else's creed or colour, so I don't see why that should change if they happen to be at a football match.

There needs to be a no-nonsense approach to racism in football otherwise all we're doing is treading water.
I completely agree. What I'm trying to say though is if you make one mistake, blurt one word out in the heat of the moment/the emotion of the situation gets the better of you when you're say 14 years old you should be banned from the club you support for LIFE? Does that not seem harsh to you?

If it is a continual tirade of abuse then a life-time ban/police involvement is 100% deserved.

I completely agree. What I'm trying to say though is if you make one mistake, blurt one word out in the heat of the moment/the emotion of the situation gets the better of you when you're say 14 years old you should be banned from the club you support for LIFE? Does that not seem harsh to you?

If it is a continual tirade of abuse then a life-time ban/police involvement is 100% deserved.

I've managed to get to 44 without blurting out racist abuse, and I was a young person once, at a time where it wasnt even as frowned upon as much as now.

People need to know its serious and if its not obvious to them already, even at 14 (who is surely sober) then they deserve anything they get.

Now the discussion has evolved to include racism I think it should be visible to all at the moment.

Sorry people BUT I haven't got any sympathy for mitigation of young/alcohol etc, it is just stupid and loathsome; plus the youth today are better educated on diversity and human rights than any previous generation has ever been.
And where does the "if true" used by some posters on here originate? do the poster(s) suspect it is lies? made up? imagined? or are they simply hoping and believing it isn't still occurring? ......because believe me it is all to prevalent: and our fans generally, and thankfully, are far far from the worse offenders in football crowds: and we should all hope they improve.
I don't know about Police/FA crowd statistics etc BUT I would not be surprised if the stewards, at most grounds, are leaning towards a pretend at not hearing it; as to do something might generate an adverse rating for the club for being involved/reporting a "hate" crime thus "evidencing" an unpleasant factor in our crowds: when turning a blind/deaf ear means we (SUFC) have a statistically clear crowd for that type of incident.

well look at how many people are currently viewing the blue voice section - 0

A lot of folk check out the Forum page when they come on SZ. It shows the latest posts for all sections of the Zone, and if they are interested they will click the link accordingly. If this post had been on there you would have got just as many people reading it as you have on here. There is not a lot of point in having specific areas for discussion if people just post anything anywhere. I'm off to the butchers now to buy some bread and cakes, bye:facepalm:

I sit in the West, right alongside the Blue Voice, and didn't hear any racism last night, that doesn't mean it didn't happen of course. This always reminds me of an occasion in the South Upper, during Alvins reign when we drew 4-4 with York. A young gentleman who will remain nameless, decided very loudly to racially abuse Keith Dublin. As soon as it was heard, he was rounded upon by every supporter within earshot, and he was left in no uncertain terms that what he said was unacceptable. He sat down red faced, and that sort of abuse was never heard again.Even better Keith popped a couple of goals in to compound his embarrasment. That for me is all that needs to happen, that its wrong and wont be accepted from his fellow supporters. Its clear that this didn't happen last night. It might be that this person isn't actually racist at all, and just has some misguided notion that its acceptable banter to shout to at opposing players. Most of the abuse I heard directed at Akinfenwa last night was the predictable "you fat B*****D", which he's heard countless times before, and he seemed to take it in good spirit, even joking back to the fans. What is laughable though, is most of the people saying it aren't exactly athletes themselves.

I'd like to think (evidently perhaps a little naively) that such racism would have produce a similar response. I still hear sexism, homophobia and the kind of abuse some people were hurling at Akinfenwa regularly thrown around as 'banter' though, and it's ignored if not promoted at times (including on this here forum), but that's not just SUFC, it's a nationwide problem and most of us are guilty of it.

Cue the 'political correctness gone mad' brigade.

Thing is, it's perfectly possible, and relatively easy, to abuse another team's player without needing to resort to homophobic or racist insults, just don't understand why some people are unable to prevent themselves from doing so.

Back