• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Bolton effect

IloveShrimp

Director⭐
With it now looking as though Bolton are getting their act together, surely it is unfair that some teams would have played them twice (Rochdale three times) before the January transfer window and whilst they are weak. This has meant that those teams have gained an advantage because they played them whilst they were poor. It could make a huge influence in the promotion/ relegation battles and already has done so in the cup.

Surely the Bolton matches should have been postponed as Burtons were, until Bolton’s issues were resolved making sure of an equal playing field and being fairer to all clubs?

There is a thread on the Bolton forum listed as the Bond effect

On the face of it, it does seem quite unfair, but they got a point at Wycombe and you can only play with what you've got. We've lost all 6 games to teams who have been "lucky" enough to play us when we have been de-motivated and tactically a shambles, call it whatever you like. So Bolton have got some new players and a manager in but it may take a few games before they get to hold their own. As for us, we still currently have Mr Bond and it's my belief that as soon as that changes we'll start winning and climbing the league but who knows? We really might be dreadful under any manager.

But we may get to play a side when they are decimated through injuries and suspensions, so is that an unfair advantage? I know it's not the youth team, but they have won 1 more point than us and that was against Wycombe, who we lost to. Rochdale have played both them and us, so are probably lucky.

None of this absolves the EFL by the way, who have in my opinion played an absolute shocker. I don't know the differences between Bolton and Bury and why the clubs were treated differently, but it's all down to club ownership and making sure the clubs are being run properly.

We made Rochdale look like Barcelona at times.

Those young Bolton players will be better for the experience and had the backing of the fans all the way through .. be interesting to see how many of them go on to have successful careers. What a baptism of fire.

It doesn't really change the fact we have lost of all our games so far. The Bury and Bolton situations have screwed up the league but it is what it is.

On the face of it, it does seem quite unfair, but they got a point at Wycombe and you can only play with what you've got. We've lost all 6 games to teams who have been "lucky" enough to play us when we have been de-motivated and tactically a shambles, call it whatever you like. So Bolton have got some new players and a manager in but it may take a few games before they get to hold their own. As for us, we still currently have Mr Bond and it's my belief that as soon as that changes we'll start winning and climbing the league but who knows? We really might be dreadful under any manager.

But we may get to play a side when they are decimated through injuries and suspensions, so is that an unfair advantage? I know it's not the youth team, but they have won 1 more point than us and that was against Wycombe, who we lost to. Rochdale have played both them and us, so are probably lucky.

None of this absolves the EFL by the way, who have in my opinion played an absolute shocker. I don't know the differences between Bolton and Bury and why the clubs were treated differently, but it's all down to club ownership and making sure the clubs are being run properly.

They got their point against Coventry, who we also lost against....

When a team weren’t lucky enough to play Bolton in August get relegated by 1 point or goal difference behind Gillingham who benefited from a 5-0 victory on Saturday is when it becomes unfair.

The whole thing has become a farce. Bolton clearly have a lot more recent history and are a far bigger club than Bury which is probably why they did not suffer the same fate, plus that were able to fulfil most fixtures. They are still to be punished for postponing the Doncaster fixture.

If Bury had been allowed to stay in the league an ever growing number of clubs would be playing rearranged fixtures in midweek.
There would also be the precedent set should any other club get themselves into this mess, knowing that the ultimate sanction wouldn’t be inflicted.

Aldershot, Wimbledon, Newport County, Accrington have all eventually recovered. A new club will eventually form... may be the Neville’s will sell their shares Salford City and finance a club in Bury. Their mum was the Club Secretary.

Farewell game and “thank you from the fans” for a lot of these Bolton youngsters. In fact the youngest team in their history tonight. Already 1-0 up against Bradford. What a bizarre season this is...

I said the same on the Sunderland Message Board: There is absolutely nothing wrong with teams playing Bolton while they are/were a weaker side. Last season we were (arguably) a better team with Maja in the side. We lost him in January, does that mean anyone who played us after January are at an advantage?

Teams buy, sell, promote youth, release, and loan players throughout the season. I see no problem with teams playing Bolton twice before January.

It looks like there wasn't much advantage in playing Bolton before the takeover, they lost 6-1 today against mid-table Rotherham.

Wasn't expecting this news tbh, had us dead and buried, now we have a chance of staying up, can understand the anger towards us, but blame the EFL, they are incompetent.

Setting a very dangerous precedent this and is a joke of a decision. Say none of our injured players are free come December 21st, we have a few more injuries and maybe a suspension or two.
May as well just not turn up for the game all we'll get is a suspended 3 point deduction and half suspended £20k fine. Play the game at a later date when more players are free.

Doncaster's reaction will be interesting, kind of hope they refuse to play the rearranged fixture.

Absolute joke of a decision. If it had been a smaller club than Bolton, such as us, you can guarantee the points would have been deducted. If you fail to fulfill a fixture surely you should lose points? ?

Absolute joke of a decision. If it had been a smaller club than Bolton, such as us, you can guarantee the points would have been deducted. If you fail to fulfill a fixture surely you should lose points? ?
Even at local kids football if you can't fulfil a fixture you lose the points.

I guess the powers thought there'd already been a backlash with the Bury situation and erred on the safely side this time.

Setting a very dangerous precedent this and is a joke of a decision. Say none of our injured players are free come December 21st, we have a few more injuries and maybe a suspension or two.
May as well just not turn up for the game all we'll get is a suspended 3 point deduction and half suspended £20k fine. Play the game at a later date when more players are free.

Doncaster's reaction will be interesting, kind of hope they refuse to play the rearranged fixture.

That's exactly what I was thinking. The FL have set a dangerous precedent here.

Wouldn't it be funny if every other club declared themselves unavailable for their match against Bolton?

It is unfair and thats the reason why it results in sanctions- trouble is EFL always bottle it with the bigger clubs. Were Bury & Bolton treated equally? And I suspect if it was Bury not Bolton the punishment would not have been suspended (the weak organisation's way of looking tough whilst in reality being the precise opposite).

Last edited:
Back