• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BoyWonder2

2024, the year of the Shrimpers 🍤 ⭐
I've read many threads on here over the past 2-3 weeks about the problems that people think we have at the Club and I have resisted posting in some threads and thought I'd put my views across in this thread.

The biggest problem that has faced us this season, which hasn't been a problem in any other season under Tilly, is the injures and suspensions we have picked up.

Think back to our League Two and League One promotions, even our Championship relegation and our trip to the play-offs last season, we had a very settled team throughout the season. My guess would be in the first two seasons I mentioned is we probably used around 20-23 players in all. Know I don't know that for a fact, I'd like someone to provide them if possible. This season we have been hit with injuries to Revell, Laurent, Mildenhall, McCormack, Freedman, Barnard etc and suspensions to Clarke and Barrett with Grant missing on Tuesday night. We have probably used around 30 players already this season, I mean just look how many loan players have been used Harding, Sawyer, JFC, Feds, Milson, Stanislas, Robinson, HRK I think is the complete list.

The best example to show is tuesdays opponents Leeds. This is the starting line up that player in our 1-0 win back on 28th October:

Feds, Francis, Clarke, Barrett, Harding, Betsy, JFC, Sawyer, HRK, Laurent and Revell.

Now if we was to play the starting line up from yesterdays game (Which we can't due to Grants suspension) it would read:

Mildenhall, Sankofa, Francis, Barrett, Herd, Betsy, JFC, Grant, Moussa, Barnard and Walker.

That is 7 different players, not including Francis playing out of position as well. That is where the problem lies. How many times have we played the same starting line-up 2/3/4 games in a row. I'd be amazed if we had.

Now this is a massive, massive week for the Club. Take away Leeds as anything we get there is a bonus, but we have a full week to look at getting some bodies into the Football Club, then our biggest game of the season at home to Bristol Rovers. We are still 8 points clear of the drop zone, as results went our way yesterday, plus we have a game in hand over Orient.

It isn't panic stations yet. There are still plenty of games to play and points to win but we have to start picking points up, especially at home. We have to make Roots Hall a fortress to come. Yesterday was disappointing, but lets move on from there, we can't change what has happened. There was some positives to come out of the game, Robinson looked useful, Grant was brilliant, Moussa played very well, Walker got plenty of support from the stands etc.

Ron Martin has stated money is there for Tilson to bring the right players in and by the looks of the names mentioned last week, we are looking at quality players who will improve the squad. We need to bring in the right players, players that will improve the squad, and not players just to make up the numbers. We have to get behind the players, the management, everybody.

I've read many threads on here over the past 2-3 weeks about the problems that people think we have at the Club and I have resisted posting in some threads and thought I'd put my views across in this thread.

The biggest problem that has faced us this season, which hasn't been a problem in any other season under Tilly, is the injures and suspensions we have picked up.

Think back to our League Two and League One promotions, even our Championship relegation and our trip to the play-offs last season, we had a very settled team throughout the season. My guess would be in the first two seasons I mentioned is we probably used around 20-23 players in all. Know I don't know that for a fact, I'd like someone to provide them if possible. This season we have been hit with injuries to Revell, Laurent, Mildenhall, McCormack, Freedman, Barnard etc and suspensions to Clarke and Barrett with Grant missing on Tuesday night. We have probably used around 30 players already this season, I mean just look how many loan players have been used Harding, Sawyer, JFC, Feds, Milson, Stanislas, Robinson, HRK I think is the complete list.

The best example to show is tuesdays opponents Leeds. This is the starting line up that player in our 1-0 win back on 28th October:

Feds, Francis, Clarke, Barrett, Harding, Betsy, JFC, Sawyer, HRK, Laurent and Revell.

Now if we was to play the starting line up from yesterdays game (Which we can't due to Grants suspension) it would read:

Mildenhall, Sankofa, Francis, Barrett, Herd, Betsy, JFC, Grant, Moussa, Barnard and Walker.

That is 7 different players, not including Francis playing out of position as well. That is where the problem lies. How many times have we played the same starting line-up 2/3/4 games in a row. I'd be amazed if we had.

Now this is a massive, massive week for the Club. Take away Leeds as anything we get there is a bonus, but we have a full week to look at getting some bodies into the Football Club, then our biggest game of the season at home to Bristol Rovers. We are still 8 points clear of the drop zone, as results went our way yesterday, plus we have a game in hand over Orient.

It isn't panic stations yet. There are still plenty of games to play and points to win but we have to start picking points up, especially at home. We have to make Roots Hall a fortress to come. Yesterday was disappointing, but lets move on from there, we can't change what has happened. There was some positives to come out of the game, Robinson looked useful, Grant was brilliant, Moussa played very well, Walker got plenty of support from the stands etc.

Ron Martin has stated money is there for Tilson to bring the right players in and by the looks of the names mentioned last week, we are looking at quality players who will improve the squad. We need to bring in the right players, players that will improve the squad, and not players just to make up the numbers. We have to get behind the players, the management, everybody.

Why dont we go to leeds with the same mentality as when we went to chelsea,id rather a point than a 4 goal thrashing?

Why dont we go to leeds with the same mentality as when we went to chelsea,id rather a point than a 4 goal thrashing?

Thats not for me to judge at the end of the day. I look at games at the start of the season and see where points are coming for e.g. home to Yeovil was one of those, and also where we wont pick up any points e.g. away to Leeds, Leicester.

IF we pick up anything at Leeds then its a massive, massive bonus but I wont be too downheartened if we lose there. More worried about Bristol Rovers at home on Saturday.

The original assumption is wrong. The players used last season:

Flavs, Collis
Gilbert, Hunt, Francis, Richards, Wilson, Barrett, Clarke, Hammell, Mulgrew.
Black, Scannell, Maher, Moussa, Bailey, Macca, Gower, Morgan, HRK, Grant.
L Clarke, Eric, Hooper, McDonald, Harrold, Bradbury, Walker, Barnard.

That's 29 players, 8 of them were on loan.

I can't remember if Paynter played before he was sold.

The original assumption is wrong. The players used last season:

Flavs, Collis
Gilbert, Hunt, Francis, Richards, Wilson, Barrett, Clarke, Hammell, Mulgrew.
Black, Scannell, Maher, Moussa, Bailey, Macca, Gower, Morgan, HRK, Grant.
L Clarke, Eric, Hooper, McDonald, Harrold, Bradbury, Walker, Barnard.

That's 29 players, 8 of them were on loan.

I can't remember if Paynter played before he was sold.

This is what I wrote:

"My guess would be in the first two seasons I mentioned is we probably used around 20-23 players in all"

They are the League Two and League One promotions.

Excellent points and sentiments on this thread - lets keep bumping it up and stay positive .

And I wouldn't be surprised if Hindle is right and we go to Leeds with a seige mentalitity and hopefully sneak away with something

Don't let OBL see that you have named our best 11 this season without mentioning Macca , you know how protective she gets over him , you may wake up with a horses head at the end of your bed

Don't let OBL see that you have named our best 11 this season without mentioning Macca , you know how protective she gets over him , you may wake up with a horses head at the end of your bed

:p What best 11? That was the starting 11 when we played them last, when Mr McCormack was still on the road to recovery!

Sorry, we've had no worse injuiries or suspensions than any other club but other clubs have good back up and competition. TIlly was very fortunate in his first 2 seasons that Flavs, Barrett, Maher, Gower and Freddy played virtually every game, they were the backbone of the side. Now we have no backbone at all. If he had spread the money and players more evenly- less centre mids and strikers and more wide players and defenders- we might not be so low in the table.

Sorry, we've had no worse injuiries or suspensions than any other club but other clubs have good back up and competition. TIlly was very fortunate in his first 2 seasons that Flavs, Barrett, Maher, Gower and Freddy played virtually every game, they were the backbone of the side. Now we have no backbone at all. If he had spread the money and players more evenly- less centre mids and strikers and more wide players and defenders- we might not be so low in the table.

I think we have been hit more than most on the injury front this season. Remember Cheltenham away where we only had 1 fit striker at the Club. We have the likes of Barney, Freedman, Revell, Laurent, Walker and Furlong all here at that time, you can't legislate for have 5 injured strikers at once.

Yes we was fortunate back then, and perhaps this is evening it up. You look at our back bone this season and Mildenhall has been injured, Clarke and Barrett both suspended, Macca has been injured for large parts, Moussa has been suspended, now Grant is suspended, JFC and Sawyer went back to their parent Clubs, and Revell, Laurent, Furlong, Freedman and Barney have all spent time on the side line.

We can't afford to run a Club that has 3/4 players for each position, it isn't viable, thats why we have players like Sankofa who can cover a range of positions.

I agree more should have been spent on the defenders, I can't defend that, except to say that we are obviously looking to strengthen that area. According to Andy_S, who has links with the Club, we are set to sign a left back. We have had bids turned down for Williamson of Wycombe and that Spurs defender turned us down on loan.

As for the wingers, we had Liam Feeney, Robert Milsom and Junior Stanislas all on loan at one stage of the season, plus HRK earlier on.

In terms of the spine of the team, I've had a little bit more of a look into it and this are the players that have played down the spine of the team this season:

Mildenhall, Feds, Joyce, Clarke, Barrett, Francis, Sankofa, JFC, Bailey, Macca, Sawyer, Grant, Moussa, Milsom, Freedman, Barney, Walker, Revell, Furlong and Laurent.

Thats 20 different players that have played through the middle of the team. Not hard to see where the problems lie...

Sorry to keep dragging this post up but having read RM's blog we only used 25 during our League One title winning campaign, and so far have used 31 this season.

Also, the amount of changes to the side from tonights game against Leeds, to the win back in October is 7 as well.

Back