• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

mrsblue

Banned
Cold light of day .

Its obvious the player budget was fairly decent this season,question is will Ron be happy with 7th considering Scunthorpe and Fleetwood finished higher with smaller crowds and I guess smaller budgets.

My view is we started the season looking relegation fodder,yet some appalling results coupled with strange decisions eventually derailed the PO push.

The 6 games against Gills Shrews and Vale only yielded 2 points from 18....you cannot drop that many points against struggling opponents and expect to go up.

I still think Phil is a lucky manager,when we really need a result he doesn't quite deliver...the PO was there for the taking but we blew it in some style too.

Those 4 defeats in 5 or 6 losses in the final 13 games is a painful pill to take.

Last edited:
I'm shocked mrsblue, this is an entirely new view from you. Normally you are so optimistic. Never mind, new topics like this are always welcome on the Zone

I'm shocked mrsblue, this is an entirely new view from you. Normally you are so optimistic. Never mind, new topics like this are always welcome on the Zone

Was you at Charlton RHB?

Signing Nouble was mental,however playing him in such a vital game was shocking decision making....just plain crazy.

I'm glad that Shrewsbury, Gillingham and Port Vale have been brought up, here.

Add Peterborough and we have the four clubs that we were supposedly meant to follow the lead of, in terms of quality early signings and how to run a club.

The league table tells the rest.

I'm glad that Shrewsbury, Gillingham and Port Vale have been brought up, here.

Add Peterborough and we have the four clubs that we were supposedly meant to follow the lead of, in terms of quality early signings and how to run a club.

The league table tells the rest.

Yet we dropped 16 points against those 3 badly managed clubs.

Gills under Scally have been chopping and changing all the time,plus yo yoing between league 1 and 2.
Vale are by many accounts broke.
Shrews are a small club where league 1 survival is indeed success for them.

The table doesn't lie. Like many teams we're decent on our day but just a bit too inconsistent and perhaps lack some
mental toughness, so let's hope PB & RM address that for next season. If that happens, and if we hang on to our better players plus two or three quaility additions we should certainly be up there, hopefully a bit higher. I very much doubt we'd have won the playoffs anyway given our stuttering form of late.

Yet we dropped 16 points against those 3 badly managed clubs.

Gills under Scally have been chopping and changing all the time,plus yo yoing between league 1 and 2.
Vale are by many accounts broke.
Shrews are a small club where league 1 survival is indeed success for them.

I think the point made, was at the start of the season, some where saying it was a disgrace that we didn't "improve" our playing staff as aggressively and quickly as these sides and yet, come the end of the season each of these teams would have swapped with us. Over the season patterns of games appear , for example we beat Sheff Utd 0-3 at their place. The Gillingham away game was a travesty on the first half with the most appealing officiating .. but hey, I look at the season. The season on the whole, as an improvement, both in terms of personnel as playing style. We continue in the same vein and we will be fine ..

One final point, you state that Scully chopped and changed too much, having an adverse affect on Gillingham and yet again, earlier in the season the Brown Out were massive and whilst some asked for patience for some of the players to return, some were shouted down with the demand for change. Change isn't always the answer, patience and continuity often are.

I think the point made, was at the start of the season, some where saying it was a disgrace that we didn't "improve" our playing staff as aggressively and quickly as these sides and yet, come the end of the season each of these teams would have swapped with us. Over the season patterns of games appear , for example we beat Sheff Utd 0-3 at their place. The Gillingham away game was a travesty on the first half with the most appealing officiating .. but hey, I look at the season. The season on the whole, as an improvement, both in terms of personnel as playing style. We continue in the same vein and we will be fine ..

One final point, you state that Scully chopped and changed too much, having an adverse affect on Gillingham and yet again, earlier in the season the Brown Out were massive and whilst some asked for patience for some of the players to return, some were shouted down with the demand for change. Change isn't always the answer, patience and continuity often are.

The truth is we started the season in spectacular bad form ,our formed changed after the Rochdale debacle,the run in we died a death.

Been told many times the altercation after Dale which cost Adam dearly was the turning point as Phil was transfixed by holding teams and nicking points,some of the performances I've seen have in truth been criminal,whilst some selections left us baffled.

The truth is we started the season in spectacular bad form ,our formed changed after the Rochdale debacle,the run in we died a death.

Been told many times the altercation after Dale which cost Adam dearly was the turning point as Phil was transfixed by holding teams and nicking points,some of the performances I've seen have in truth been criminal,whilst some selections left us baffled.

Seriously .. this is broken record ... yes we started poorly , no one argues this .. ( is the new " we won the play final in spite of PB ) .. other teams started well after 12 games and ended up in a relation scrap ... it's what happens in leagues. You concentrate on negatives and harp on about them, others look at negiatives and see what can be done to change them, whilst also dealing there was now positives than negatives ..

AB has gone. End of, not good enough, not better than Ferdinand and Thommo and AB Wa sask part of the poor start where we shipped goals.

Got you annoy me, trying to have a healthy reasoned debate you but you just can't can you ..

......Over the season patterns of games appear , for example we beat Sheff Utd 0-3 at their place. The Gillingham away game was a travesty on the first half with the most appealing officiating .. but hey, I look at the season. The season on the whole, as an improvement, both in terms of personnel as playing style. We continue in the same vein and we will be fine ....

I didn't find it very appealing but I think I know what you mean !

I'm not sure what pattern emerged with that Sheff Utd away win but it was our first point of the season and we then didn't have the same result in two consecutive games until November.

Yep, that's it in a nutshell.

Seriously .. this is broken record ... yes we started poorly , no one argues this .. ( is the new " we won the play final in spite of PB ) .. other teams started well after 12 games and ended up in a relation scrap ... it's what happens in leagues. You concentrate on negatives and harp on about them, others look at negiatives and see what can be done to change them, whilst also dealing there was now positives than negatives ..

AB has gone. End of, not good enough, not better than Ferdinand and Thommo and AB Wa sask part of the poor start where we shipped goals.

Got you annoy me, trying to have a healthy reasoned debate you but you just can't can you ..

Having a reasoned debate consists of people willing to engage without saying stuff like "God you annoy me" how is that debating?...you don't like my view which is fine.

Cold light of day .

Its obvious the player budget was fairly decent this season,question is will Ron be happy with 7th considering Scunthorpe and Fleetwood finished higher with smaller crowds and I guess smaller budgets.

My view is we started the season looking relegation fodder,yet some appalling results coupled with strange decisions eventually derailed the PO push.

The 6 games against Gills Shrews and Vale only yielded 2 points from 18....you cannot drop that many points against struggling opponents and expect to go up.

I still think Phil is a lucky manager,when we really need a result he doesn't quite deliver...the PO was there for the taking but we blew it in some style too.

Those 4 defeats in 5 or 6 losses in the final 13 games is a painful pill to take.

We should won more of those but that is football. Why do you think Brown should be sacked when we have come 7th?

In these our budget is around midtable, but it doesn't mean anything really. We look like being one of the strongest teams next year.

We can judge a season on how many times mrsblue has got it wrong. PB, Cox, Ranger, Ferdinand, Fortune and Robinson have all been a success. The funny thing is even Jason Williams has proved mrs wrong.

We should won more of those but that is football. Why do you think Brown should be sacked when we have come 7th?

In these our budget is around midtable, but it doesn't mean anything really. We look like being one of the strongest teams next year.

I have never ever stated Phil should be sacked ,I'd be shocked if Scunny and Fleet had larger budgets than us.

Truth is we are where we are,but it could have been vastly different if Fortune hadn't become the yesterday man when he clearly proved he can still do a decent job.

We can judge a season on how many times mrsblue has got it wrong. PB, Cox, Ranger, Ferdinand, Fortune and Robinson have all been a success. The funny thing is even Jason Williams has proved mrs wrong.

PB.....he blew the PO by omitting Fortune in vital games and hardly playing him during the run in.
Cox has done ok.
Ranger has missed plenty of games.
Fortune has been decent but still shocked at his contract
Robbo is decent and I never stated anything bad about him apart from dodgy knees
Williams was messed about here terribly.
How about Nouble and Hines which I said at the time they were stupid signings.
I said Hunt was a stupid signing.
I said Moons was a bad signing
I said Woodrow and Shaw were bad signings.
I said Corr doesn't like playing the role Phil insisted on,Corr confirmed this.

justsaying

PB.....he blew the PO by omitting Fortune in vital games and hardly playing him during the run in.
Cox has done ok.
Robbo is decent and I never stated anything bad about him apart from dodgy knees

justsaying

As we are talking about this season and the future your examples have an air of desperation about them.

Your only Brown out life line seams to be Fortune not playing at Charlton. Now I Know the Bolton game was one of those that you couldn't be bothered with but Fortune came on as sub in that game. Did he score ....No....Was he lazy and didn't come back into the box for that 90th minute corner....Yes. If he had done his job would Bolton still have scored......We will never know but that's why he found himself sitting on the bench the following Saturday.

Cox has done ok.

justsaying

Genuine question.

Who would you keep from the current squad and lets have half a dozen names of players we can afford and have no fitness issues who you would sign to improve the squad and put us in a position to finish higher than seventh next season?

First and foremost lets hear who would improve at this level on Cox ('done ok')

Back