• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Beefy

Life President
http://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/newly-branded-captains-suite-3712485.aspx

So the Club are re-branding the 110 Club as The Captains Suite and will theme it around five iconic captains of the Club's past and want the fans to chose who those five are. Firstly, I love this sort of stuff - I'm all for the greats of the clubs past (and Kevin Maher) being honoured and remembered in any fashion. Secondly, I'd be keen to hear from some of the more seasoned posters here about some of these names and why they deserve my vote.

You assume Maher & Barrett are locks for this. I was surprised/disappointed that Chris Powell didn't make the cut - he was captain when I first started going every week and is therefore the first person I associate with the position Southend captain. But I don't know a huge amount about some of the older names on the list.

The options are:
Kevin Maher
Paul Clark
Alan Moody
Adam Barrett
Dave Cusack
Joe Jacques
Jimmy McAlinden
George Molyneaux
Peter Watson
Peter Clarke

They look like they were scraping the bottom of the barrel with Peter Clarke, IMO.

Agreed Beefy; this is A Good Thing.

I do hope we don't have too much recency bias though. Jimmy McAlinden was well before my time (indeed, before my Dad's time!) but I've read about him in various Southend history books and he's got one of my votes. If he doesn't get in and Peter Clarke does just because he played for us relatively recently, that would be a shame.

For the record, I voted Maher, Barrett, Clark, (all personal memories) Moody and McAlinden (read plenty about them)

Uncle Leo said:
Agreed Beefy; this is A Good Thing.

I do hope we don't have too much recency bias though. Jimmy McAlinden was well before my time (indeed, before my Dad's time!) but I've read about him in various Southend history books and he's got one of my votes. If he doesn't get in and Peter Clarke does just because he played for us relatively recently, that would be a shame.

For the record, I voted Maher, Barrett, Clark, (all personal memories) Moody and McAlinden (read plenty about them)
I'd agree with those...

Peter Clarke !!!!?????????? You're having a laugh :omg::omg::omg:

I'd rather vote for Captain Birdseye than old Captain Chaos

John White should be there instead , as he always gets overlooked these days for the captains armband

Paul Clark
Adam Barrett
Kevin Maher
Peter Watson
Joe Jacques

Paul Clark
Adam Barrett
Kevin Maher
Peter Watson
Joe Jacques

Surprised to find Jacques in the 10, let alone the 5.

Good player for sure but only played the equivalent of two season's football spread over three seasons two of which we finished 17th and 18th in Division Four. His final year was somewhat better culminating in our promotion at Scunthorpe. Our first promotion - I guess that's why he's there.

Why not keep it just as the 'Captains Suite' and have as many pictures of captains that the club has copies of.
Hold on they won't be able to do that as they have probably sold the pictures on eBay.

First name as captain of Southend United would be Alan Moody.
Maher
Barrett
Paul Clark
McAlinden....based on reading the club history

Surprised to find Jacques in the 10, let alone the 5.

Good player for sure but only played the equivalent of two season's football spread over three seasons two of which we finished 17th and 18th in Division Four. His final year was somewhat better culminating in our promotion at Scunthorpe. Our first promotion - I guess that's why he's there.

He gave John Kurila a run for his money with the crunching nature of his tackles and, as you say, he captained our team to their first promotion in 66 years. RIP.

Agree that John White should at least be on the list.

Alan Moody would definitely top my list followed by Kevin Maher and Paul Clark. Probably then should be some representation of the real past.

i think the three who have lifted a trophy: Mickey Stead, Kevin Maher and John White. I would add Alan Moody and whoever the clubs first ever captain was to the list.

Cant understand why you get a trophy for winning the play offs. I'd have preferred automatic promotion every time.

ps the club's first captain is on the list - George Molyneux.

Cant understand why you get a trophy for winning the play offs. I'd have preferred automatic promotion every time.

ps the club's first captain is on the list - George Molyneux.

Champions or a win at Wembley. Nothing in between.

Back