• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cinema - verdict?

• Total voters

Southend_Lady

Ginger Sam
I havent been for a long time but actually quite enjoy going. I do think that unless you bag up an orange Wednesday ticket/voucher, that it is very overpriced especially by the time you have paid £15 for a box of popcorn and £9.95 for a drink.

However I still like the whole cinema experience and films always seem to look better on the big screen especially with the modern surround sound business thesedays. My bf hates the cinema and thinks it is boring, Im wondering if there is a way I can drag him along when a film comes up that I want to see, perhaps a sneaky hand job or blowy in the back row might be enough to make it worth his while.........

How many of you go to the cinema and do you think its worth the money???

I go occaisionally - however even if I use my old student card it's still a fiver a ticket which is only just reasonable. Once you've bought a drink and some snacks the price becomes silly. How can they justify charging £3 for half a litre of fizzy drink?

My local cinema is about £6-7, and you can have a pint while watching the film. Popcorn is all air, so take a bag of Licorice Allsorts with you that you bought at the supermarket.

Job done.

:D

Im wondering if there is a way I can drag him along when a film comes up that I want to see, perhaps a sneaky hand job or blowy in the back row might be enough to make it worth his while........

Samantha, I'm not easily shocked as you know but............

How Rude!!!

In terms of the actual question at hand. Both me & the Mrs love the cinema, before Grace came along we had those UGC (now Cineworld) monthly passes (which for £10 meant you could go as many times as you liked). Sundays we often used to get up for the first opening and then go to another 1 or 2 films too after. One year I think between us we'd seen 83 of Empire's top 100 movies of the year (mostly together obviously!)

Last edited:
I'll go along with you instead.:angel:

Form an orderly queue!

A man who can't see the true beauty in Pan's Labyrinth/Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind/Amelie is half a man and not worthy of your lovin'.

However, this doesn't count if it's any Adam Sandler film or some horror nonsense with power tools (unless it's the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre).

My local cinema is about £6-7, and you can have a pint while watching the film. Popcorn is all air, so take a bag of Licorice Allsorts with you that you bought at the supermarket.

Job done.

You've got a good cinema then! ;)

The one near me doesn't serve alcohol (although I don't blame them, as it IS in Romford) :(

Well, he is after all a male and I was trying to get into his mindset of what might make the cinema a more enjoyable experience for him.

I'm now imagining how cinema companies could come up with an ad campaign to discourage heavy petting in the cinema like they've done with mobile phone use! ;)

A man who can't see the true beauty in Pan's Labyrinth/Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind/Amelie is half a man and not worthy of your lovin'.

2 of them 3 made me cry, in fact I'm worse now with Amelie, everytime I see it.

*** reaches for a hanky, sniff, sniff sob ***

I'm sorry, but it's just not on! Sit still, be quiet, mobile off and make sure you suck your Werthers Originals quietly, and certainly no fruity action - there's a FILM to be watched!

I just cant sit on my **** for that long without moving. Unless im playing poker, granted!

Kev

I like going to the cinema and prefer seeing the films on the big screen. The one thing that puts me off is other people. The amount of times ive had a good film ruined by some bint asking continual questions all the way through it (to be fair its usually the other half) or having your chair kicked, or having to stand up every 5 seconds because someone has the bladder the size of a teabag.

All in all - if you can guarentee me an almost empty cinema with "normal" people in it id take the cinema every day of the week.

I like going to the cinema and prefer seeing the films on the big screen. The one thing that puts me off is other people. The amount of times ive had a good film ruined by some bint asking continual questions all the way through it (to be fair its usually the other half) or having your chair kicked, or having to stand up every 5 seconds because someone has the bladder the size of a teabag.

All in all - if you can guarentee me an almost empty cinema with "normal" people in it id take the cinema every day of the week.

I find the best time to go is late at night - the screens are empty so you can pick a seat clear of other people, and you don't get stupid chavs throwing popcorn at each other and disturbing the film.

You've got a good cinema then! ;)

It's the Greenwich Picture House in Greenwich, and the missus and I have a wee routine: pint in The Greenwich Union, dinner at Tai Won Mein (a cheap but superb Chinese in Greenwich - usually no more than £5-7 a head), and then grab a pint (glass of wine for the lady) at the cinema bar to take into the cinema with us.

It's a thoroughly good experience all round.

We're members at the cinema, which gets us 4 free tickets a year and then discounts every other time you go. I think you'd only need to go another couple of times a year for it to be economically viable, and I reckon we go at least every other month.

:)

And why not? (as Barry Norman used to say) - after all, it's a very easy way to escape the cares and woes of one's everyday life...

:)

Thankfully, our cinema does have a 'cheap tickets' night, where if you have a voucher tickets are £2.50 and even if you don't they're only £4.
Unfortunately it's a Tuesday, when I'm usually busy :p

I find the best time to go is late at night - the screens are empty so you can pick a seat clear of other people, and you don't get stupid chavs throwing popcorn at each other and disturbing the film.

Or watch some intense German art-house cinema - not enough car chases or pointless explosions for your average plebian.

The one thing that does annoy me are the cinemas that dont allocate you a seat. Its all well and good when its not busy and you can select where you want to sit, but when its opening night of a film and really busy and you've got people dotted around that dont want to sit right next to the strangers and leave a one chair gap. If you get there a bit late you'll find yourself scurrying around trying to make people move up one so you and your partner or mates can actually sit together. It would be far easier to allocate everyone seats but allow you to choose when its not busy.

Or watch some intense German art-house cinema - not enough car chases or pointless explosions for your average plebian.

Quite true. The only films that get really busy are intensively advertised blockbusters or action films. The more interesting offerings are shunned by the chav element - I remember watching Pan's Labyrinth at the Cinema on a Friday evening and the cinema was practically empty.

Back