• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Class of '20

Does anyone else have the feeling that this season could go very well, other clubs will be in the same boat, cutting squads, budgets and relying on youth.

We have some really talented youngsters that have 'already' gained experience at a higher level, we're a big club in L2 and if we get the kit right this season :-) then it could be very successful.

Listening to the boys on Custard Splat saying they'll be happy to avoid the drop, we're better than that. Ok, recruitment on the limited experienced players is key (wouldn't mind Luke P coming back) and the recruitment on the manager of course.

The high risk factor is Ron paying players on time but he's had months to design a mitigation plan.

This could be the start of a new chapter (or is it the 4 JD's ive just had talking !!!)

I am one of the optimistic ones. I also know some people involved at the club are as well, a few tongue in cheek comments about placing a bet on Charlie Kelman winning the league two golden boot with most goals.

But I am aware we need 2 or 3 experienced additions. All in all I am extremely curious about the whole thing, and most of all, so excited to get back watching the boys.

New manager, new season, new outlook. Lets make it a good'un

I wish I could be optimistic. But sadly the facts outweigh the hopes and dreams at the moment.

I’ll be glad to get back to watching live football at The Hall, but my expectations of it, are low.

Sorry xx

I think that the team that finished the season before lock down was really mustard.
The youngsters were class, they looked real good keeping the ball on the floor and passing it back and forth with confidence, then bang,, goal.
They really did play for the badge and not so much the money.
They were forced to play at a higher level than they should have normally been.
But by heck, they grabbed the bull by the horns and ran with it as far as they could.
So yes, we are going to get promoted as champions next season.
Come on you blues.

Does anyone else have the feeling that this season could go very well

...no!

TBH, I’d settle for survival, just avoiding relegation, this coming season. Of course, this view is based on current situation and, who knows, Ron could finally crack open the fabled war chest (yeah right!!), but I just can’t see us getting out of L2 in under 3 years.I see this being the worst predicament we’ve been in since Tilly took over nearly 20yrs back.

...no!

TBH, I’d settle for survival, just avoiding relegation, this coming season. Of course, this view is based on current situation and, who knows, Ron could finally crack open the fabled war chest (yeah right!!), but I just can’t see us getting out of L2 in under 3 years.I see this being the worst predicament we’ve been in since Tilly took over nearly 20yrs back.

L2 is all about 1-2 year contracts so clubs are down to their barebones, there is no £ in the game this season especially in the lower leagues so clubs will rely on their youngsters, this is where we have a massive advantage.

Some of these lads are v talented, hungry and have been at the club for years so will play for the badge.

Currie would be a perfect fit and hopefully can recruit some experienced players!

We also need to play our part in supporting the younger players

At the moment no.

We might have some great youngsters but I feel like we are going to concede a goal every time we give away a corner or the ball is put high into our box and we could be playing more teams doing that next season than teams playing it out from the back.

Why are we? So why did we not concede every set piece against Wimbledon, Tranmere, Accrington, Lincoln, Bristol Rovers at the end of last season where we had positive results with the youngsters?

Of course you can have that opinion, but at least back it up with some statistic or reasoning. Spouting negativity with no basis is just does not make sense.

Why are we? So why did we not concede every set piece against Wimbledon, Tranmere, Accrington, Lincoln, Bristol Rovers at the end of last season where we had positive results with the youngsters?

Of course you can have that opinion, but at least back it up with some statistic or reasoning. Spouting negativity with no basis is just does not make sense.

Just had a look at the last eight games and it works out a goal a game.

Bristol Rovers - none

Oxford - A penalty from one cross and a goal from another

Burton - Volley from a cross and a bundled goal from a cross

Gills - Header from a cross

Coventry - none

Peterborough - Header from a corner

Blackpool - Header from a cross

Lincoln - Header

But yeah we don't let many goals in from corners or crosses into the box.

Just had a look at the last eight games and it works out a goal a game.

Bristol Rovers - none

Oxford - A penalty from one cross and a goal from another

Burton - Volley from a cross and a bundled goal from a cross

Gills - Header from a cross

Coventry - none

Peterborough - Header from a corner

Blackpool - Header from a cross

Lincoln - Header

But yeah we don't let many goals in from corners or crosses into the box.

So its gone from every time we concede a set piece to actually just one a game in a division higher than the one we are about to enter.

Again, it's all perspectives. That stat we are debating can easily be rectified with a capable management team competing in a lower division.

So its gone from every time we concede a set piece to actually just one a game in a division higher than the one we are about to enter.

Again, it's all perspectives. That stat we are debating can easily be rectified with a capable management team competing in a lower division.

That's not what he said... he said it feels as though we will and I'm totally with that! We had next to no height. The fact we didn't concede more that way is probably down to the attacking teams failings than our defensive dominance.

We conceded 85 goals in 35 league games last season - that was 19 (NINETEEN!) more than the next worst defensive record (Bolton). I can absolutely see where "defender05" is coming from, we were truly shocking defensively in 2019/20 and problems like that don't just disappear overnight. We have an extremely young side with not many senior players and to go into a division like League Two which is renowned for it's aggressive play (which may well unsettle these youngsters) and direct style for many teams....yeah I'm worried. Very worried. The new manager appointment and whether he can get some decent senior players in will be absolutely critical to our survival next season - this isn't a time for Ron to be messing about with an inexperienced manager, what we BADLY need this time is another Sturrock.

That's not what he said... he said it feels as though we will and I'm totally with that! We had next to no height. The fact we didn't concede more that way is probably down to the attacking teams failings than our defensive dominance.

Yes but you're still not basing it off anything. He bought up a stat which showed that in the last 8 games of last season we conceded on average 1 goal from a set piece a game.

We are now in a lower division with players who would of learnt a lot from that experience in the deep end. At one point with the young players we had 6 games where we drew 4, won 2 and lost one. Seriously, all this negative conjecture is just a little bit over the top.

Im confident that we will be absolutely fine in league 2.

Unfortunately I can see another season of struggle if we don't get some experienced players in.

Personally I think we need a CB (hard as nails kind of player!), a ball winning CM, a creative winger and a target man/another forward .

No we need a man who can unite the players and have a happy dressing room, im of the opinion Currie can do this ,im sure he will be respected by the young lads as well as the seasoned professionals .He wasnt exactly a slouch in his playing days either so will know what is needed for us not just too survive but finish mid table or higher next season

Yes but you're still not basing it off anything. He bought up a stat which showed that in the last 8 games of last season we conceded on average 1 goal from a set piece a game.

We are now in a lower division with players who would of learnt a lot from that experience in the deep end. At one point with the young players we had 6 games where we drew 4, won 2 and lost one. Seriously, all this negative conjecture is just a little bit over the top.

Im confident that we will be absolutely fine in league 2.
So, do you think we will be fine in league 2 with the squad as it is currently?

So, do you think we will be fine in league 2 with the squad as it is currently?

Not quite. I said in my first post in this thread yesterday that we need 2 or 3 experienced additions to compliment the young players.

We already have a few experienced heads with Tim Dieng, Mark Oxley, John White, Nathan Ralph and Jason Demetriou. Chuck in 3 more and I will be confident of a stable season. (Dependant as well on what management team Ron appoints)

In Division 2 it is often a good policy to have plenty of height in a back four. I remember when Tony Pulis managed Gillingham to success the average height of their defenders seemed well over 6 foot. Plenty of goals come from set pieces.

Whilst a promotion push would be nice I hope the fans recognise that this is primarily a rebuilding season and don't start getting on the backs of the players if we aren't winning every week and kill their confidence, this will be the first season for a lot of them that there's any expectation on them to get results and it's going to take time for some of them to adjust.

Back