• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kevin Hogg

President
I have no doubt this has been done to death before..but you can never reminisce about great days too much! Reading the memories of Nobbler & co about two visits to Newport in 68 ..what other memorable away days come to mind.

A few starters to think about.
Lincoln '69 (was too young but heard the stories)
Derby x 2 in the 70's
The classic Mansfield trip
Southport in late 70's
Exeter '76 also known as Cidergate!

So what are your clasic games, who was there and what happened?

I have no doubt this has been done to death before..but you can never reminisce about great days too much! Reading the memories of Nobbler & co about two visits to Newport in 68 ..what other memorable away days come to mind.

A few starters to think about.
Lincoln '69 (was too young but heard the stories)
Derby x 2 in the 70's
The classic Mansfield trip
Southport in late 70's
Exeter '76 also known as Cidergate!

So what are your clasic games, who was there and what happened?

Kevin,
Like you I didn't go to the Lincoln game but I've also heard a few stories about it from people who were on the coach.Leasky's one man charge on the Lincoln has surely gone down in the history books.

Went to both Derby Cup games.Got nicked at Derby station after the first game.Did write up an account for Leasky but don't think he's ever used it.

Also went to the Mansfield Cup game but by car with my aunt driving and Alf Smirk as a fellow passenger.

Good times but different times.

In the recent past Southampton x 2.

Just a good day out, fancy dress, loads of us, a good sing-song, good respect for Alan Ball - rip, singing " kay-sa-ra x 3 etc, we're going to Shrewsbury" raised a good laugh all round the stadium ..

In the recent past Southampton x 2.

Just a good day out, fancy dress, loads of us, a good sing-song, good respect for Alan Ball - rip, singing " kay-sa-ra x 3 etc, we're going to Shrewsbury" raised a good laugh all round the stadium ..

Was living abroad for the Alan Ball game. remember Saints in the FA Cup in the 90's? Miserable. We had lost the game before I got to my seat!!

Was living abroad for the Alan Ball game. remember Saints in the FA Cup in the 90's? Miserable. We had lost the game before I got to my seat!!
The confetti was still settling and we were one down.
Torquay - being the first fans to use their brand new....terraces!
Grimsby - promoted? Oh ****
Swansea - promoted? Oh yey
Chelsea - last minute equaliser, very last minute game saver

Kevin,
Like you I didn't go to the Lincoln game but I've also heard a few stories about it from people who were on the coach.Leasky's one man charge on the Lincoln has surely gone down in the history books.

Went to both Derby Cup games.Got nicked at Derby station after the first game.Did write up an account for Leasky but don't think he's ever used it.

Also went to the Mansfield Cup game but by car with my aunt driving and Alf Smirk as a fellow passenger.

Good times but different times.

leasky"s one man charge at Lincoln ..............it was arranged that way we all done a one man charge to get into them greasers it was payback.......................had to give them no warning infiltrate their end singulary worked a treat.

Stockport (late 80's I think) footie in the park before a 2-0 win and promotion then waving goodbye to the Wolves fans who had turned up hopeing we would lose

Southport for me... Oz, joe and franky Taylor saving our asses, as we were set upon by a bunch of blokes chucking bricks at us.
Secondly Workington and a weekend in Blackpool.

Southport for me... Oz, joe and franky Taylor saving our asses, as we were set upon by a bunch of blokes chucking bricks at us.
Secondly Workington and a weekend in Blackpool.

Adding to the southport game....On the way up a load of Portsmouth fans thinking we were spurs & trying to smash our coach up! They were ok when they found out we were southend And playing Bristol city fans at 10 am in the morning - 45 a side football in a service station - they were on there way to Liverpool

Stockport (late 80's I think) footie in the park before a 2-0 win and promotion then waving goodbye to the Wolves fans who had turned up hopeing we would lose

This is one of my favourites. Was living in Rye House at the time. Coming down to get the coach was fine, the day was immense (threw a sickie too). Getting dropped off at some godforsken hour on M25 A10 turn then realising Rye House was further than I thought was less fine

Had some great away days over the years, some of the best were where the result was incidental.

Huddersfield Town..possibly in 77/78. Arranged to meet Oz's dad in a social club in South Yorkshire where it semi-kicked off with Sheffielld Wednesday. On to Huddersfield and the two most prominent members of the coach were dropped off to immediately have a go at some Hudds boys. We then got to the old Leeds Road ground. Violence was in the air. I was looking in the window of their club shop with a guy I think was called Rick Brown. Next thing I know? Rick?? has been punched straight through the window and is laying among the scarves..a piece of glass lodged a millimetre from his eye. The West Yorks police officer who stood maybe ten feet from the incident??? - told the attacker to "scarper". Trouble throughout the game..we had an Ozzie coach of maybe 45 and Huddersfield had most of the largest men in Yorkshire! It ended up going off in the seats..unheard of in those days.
On returning to our transport..the police boarded and arrested two gentleman for stealing a souvenir from a pub. "A gift from Blackpool" was the item..if my memory serves me correctly.
Ozzie and Joe ran a few of these hooli (err I was 15..a voyeur) coaches and each one had a story.
The happy bus enjoyed a 4-1 win at Newport County to virtually seal promotion in '78?? Another great day.

Huddersfield Town..possibly in 77/78. Arranged to meet Oz's dad in a social club in South Yorkshire where it semi-kicked off with Sheffielld Wednesday. On to Huddersfield and the two most prominent members of the coach were dropped off to immediately have a go at some Hudds boys. We then got to the old Leeds Road ground. Violence was in the air. I was looking in the window of their club shop with a guy I think was called Rick Brown. Next thing I know? Rick?? has been punched straight through the window and is laying among the scarves..a piece of glass lodged a millimetre from his eye. The West Yorks police officer who stood maybe ten feet from the incident??? - told the attacker to "scarper". Trouble throughout the game..we had an Ozzie coach of maybe 45 and Huddersfield had most of the largest men in Yorkshire! It ended up going off in the seats..unheard of in those days.
On returning to our transport..the police boarded and arrested two gentleman for stealing a souvenir from a pub. "A gift from Blackpool" was the item..if my memory serves me correctly.
Ozzie and Joe ran a few of these hooli (err I was 15..a voyeur) coaches and each one had a story.
The happy bus enjoyed a 4-1 win at Newport County to virtually seal promotion in '78?? Another great day.

Everton FAC '92

Kev I was standing next to rick that day ..... Amazingly enough when we got back home he was back on his CZ the next day!!!

I somehow knew this would end up be a thread about "the good old days of football violence".

Never quite understood the enjoyment myself.

My away day memories are a lot more recent than some on here but still good memories.

Southampton x2 - both good atmosphere although nothing to play for
Swansea - great game and promotion
Last minute equaliser against Chelski - great day as a whole and turned into a great night
Donny play-off defeat - A proud night to be a shrimper even if we did lose 5-1 that was a brilliant away trip

amazed no one has mentioned Bury away 1.0 our 1st ever promotion to the championship game :-)

Only because we've done that to death and everyone is bored with my story of writing my car off on the way to the game. Been to every promotion sealing away day over the last 30 years or so. Nothing beats Bury though Swansea was a great one. Run I the mill away days at the old Chesterfield and Shrewsbury grounds were among my favourite for pre match food and drink. Donny play off on THAT drinking coach with my shoulder in a sling and Harry Barris nudging me 3 or 4 times to add to the pain. Thankfully the game was a blur and the alcohol deadened the pain as well

Kev I was standing next to rick that day ..... Amazingly enough when we got back home he was back on his CZ the next day!!!

I must have been standing the other side of him. IIRC he was gobbing off at one Huddersfield lad and didn't notice the other bloke come up from behind him. Made a mess of his face but did nothing to harm his good looks.

I think Rick went through a name change to/from Brown. I seem to remember him being called Rick Monahon or something similar. Good mate at the time; be good to know where he is now.

By the way Kev; the souvenir was a Horse Brass nicked by one of my Basildon mates. Joe got collared for it and my mate was cacking himself for months that Joe was going to get hold of him.

Saw Joe at Fleetwood last season; I reckon he's still looking for my mate :)

Back