• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The clear out

Which players will still be here next season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Supporters arent willing to watch national league football,being in this division is killing us and so obviously we wont sell as many s/c compared to previous seasons? Fans are fickle.
Our average home crowd this season was 5773 - 19 of the 24 teams in League 2 had a lower average crowd than that (Colchester’s is 2813, less than half ours).

A third of the teams in League One had a lower average home crowd than us too (and they get away fans from Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Portsmouth, Ipswich etc. rather than Weymouth, Eastleigh and Solihull etc.).

Your argument that “supporters aren’t willing to watch national league football” isn’t supported by the facts.

Our average home crowd this season was 5773 - 19 of the 24 teams in League 2 had a lower average crowd than that (Colchester’s is 2813, less than half ours).

A third of the teams in League One had a lower average home crowd than us too, and they get away fans from Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Portsmouth, Ipswich etc. rather than Weymouth, Eastleigh and Solihull etc.).

Your argument that “supporters aren’t willing to watch national league football” isn’t supported by the facts.
And when has that ever stopped @Shrimpet steve?

If we are to push for a playoff space we need to do the following in my opinion:

Retain:
Arnold
Ralph
Hobson
Bridge
Atkinson
Andeng Ndi
Davies

Keep or replace with better :
Ogogo
Akinola
ANG
Demi

Gamble on a couple of the youth players and release the rest

Very unlikely
Very much off topic, but it's not at all unlikely when there's so much speculation surrounding both after effects of having Covid or having the jabs! While agreeing that there is absolutely no chance we'll re-sign him, there's no need to be so harsh and dismissive.

Last edited:
If we are to push for a playoff space we need to do the following in my opinion:

Retain:
Arnold
Ralph
Hobson
Bridge
Atkinson
Andeng Ndi
Davies

Keep or replace with better :
Ogogo
Akinola
ANG
Demi

Gamble on a couple of the youth players and release the rest
I'd much rather keep Dunne than Atkinson if we're wanting some experience in the middle. The old duracell batteries have slowed down a lot in Will in recent games.

I'd be keeping Arnie, Ralph, Hobbo, Bridge, Demi and maybe either Dunne or Atkinson (not both!)

Benton and Coker possibly if we're going down the B Team route.

Leon Davies was terrible on Sunday….anyone know what he’s got to offer because I haven’t seen it in about 6 games?
Maher and Currie were on to him all game Sunday with little effect….who scouted him is a worry!

Really sad to see Lewis Gard go but not surprised. Maher seemingly has little time for attacking midfielders and with Wood, Coker and Benton we had four players all competing for the occasional unused sub spot on the bench. That he couldn’t get into the side ahead of the husk of Will Atkinson always meant he was on borrowed time.

That said I’m not sure it’s the wrong decision. Injuries robbed him of two years of development and Covid cut short his season when he looked like he was about to establish himself as the pick of the next wave of youngsters. Like Sam Barratt he’ll be a big what if.

It’ll be interesting to see what he does next. A drop into part-time football seems likely but whether he bounces back will depend on whether his heart is still in it after this latest setback. He can knuckle down and get to the best fitness of his life (I was disappointed that he couldn’t play much more than an hour on his final appearance) or he can move onto the next stage of his life and start a new career that will last longer than the next decade and just play for fun. And if he does the latter he’s a fun player to watch, one who’ll make whatever team lucky enough to grab him a much, much better passing team with his movement opening up space and making his teammates consequently look better. Much like he would have improved us had he been given more opportunities alongside Neal instead of the shadows of Dunne and Atkinson.

He won’t be the only flair player to depart but if we want to play a more defensive midfield then we badly need to upgrade that position, particularly with the excellent Neal returning to his parent club. Stories of Dunne’s deal being dependent on matches played (it was very much announced as a two year deal) means we have a very real opportunity to reshape that midfield. Dunne and Ogogo are likely on decent contracts, Atkinson less so but releasing those three should free up wages to invest in a younger, quicker and better on the ball midfield.

We have a track record of not paying players wages on time. It's not very desirable to join us over Gills. Plus we are non league unless we offer big/more wages you will usually choose football league over non league
The old distinction between league and non league has in imo been largely blurred with promotions and relegations over a number of years now, leading to the current situation of the national league being fully professional and the quality of football generally on a par with L2, this was not the case 20- 30 years ago! The football pyramid seems to be working with poorly run clubs falling down and teams coming back from their disastrous past!

Really sad to see Lewis Gard go but not surprised. Maher seemingly has little time for attacking midfielders and with Wood, Coker and Benton we had four players all competing for the occasional unused sub spot on the bench. That he couldn’t get into the side ahead of the husk of Will Atkinson always meant he was on borrowed time.

That said I’m not sure it’s the wrong decision. Injuries robbed him of two years of development and Covid cut short his season when he looked like he was about to establish himself as the pick of the next wave of youngsters. Like Sam Barratt he’ll be a big what if.

It’ll be interesting to see what he does next. A drop into part-time football seems likely but whether he bounces back will depend on whether his heart is still in it after this latest setback. He can knuckle down and get to the best fitness of his life (I was disappointed that he couldn’t play much more than an hour on his final appearance) or he can move onto the next stage of his life and start a new career that will last longer than the next decade and just play for fun. And if he does the latter he’s a fun player to watch, one who’ll make whatever team lucky enough to grab him a much, much better passing team with his movement opening up space and making his teammates consequently look better. Much like he would have improved us had he been given more opportunities alongside Neal instead of the shadows of Dunne and Atkinson.

He won’t be the only flair player to depart but if we want to play a more defensive midfield then we badly need to upgrade that position, particularly with the excellent Neal returning to his parent club. Stories of Dunne’s deal being dependent on matches played (it was very much announced as a two year deal) means we have a very real opportunity to reshape that midfield. Dunne and Ogogo are likely on decent contracts, Atkinson less so but releasing those three should free up wages to invest in a younger, quicker and better on the ball midfield.

Has Gard been announced? Apologies if I have missed it

The old distinction between league and non league has in imo been largely blurred with promotions and relegations over a number of years now, leading to the current situation of the national league being fully professional and the quality of football generally on a par with L2, this was not the case 20- 30 years ago! The football pyramid seems to be working with poorly run clubs falling down and teams coming back from their disastrous past!
That’s not what people were saying last year when we were relegated to it, so you may have to have experienced it to know that.

ps The division isn’t fully professional - there are a handful of semi-pro sides. Not sure what the situation will be with the 4 promoted sides.

I think that's a little unfair on Atkinson who I think has been generally been good since Maher came in, despite being in the twilight of his career. I also don't think many people would or should have been advocating playing an unproven Lewis Gard in our midfield in our time of crisis. He's at an age where he just needs refular football now, but I don't think he's at the level required to be a regular here. So it's probably best for both parties that he move on.

Opinions are like arseholes I guess, everyone has one. But the coaching team has watched Gard every day on the training pitch and in U23s games. I trust them more than I've trusted anybody involved in this football club over the last 6-8 years to make the right decisions.

Agree think slightly harsh saying Maher doesn’t like attacking midfielders though hasn’t really had any good ones

I think that's a little unfair on Atkinson who I think has been generally been good since Maher came in, despite being in the twilight of his career. I also don't think many people would or should have been advocating playing an unproven Lewis Gard in our midfield in our time of crisis. He's at an age where he just needs refular football now, but I don't think he's at the level required to be a regular here. So it's probably best for both parties that he move on.

Opinions are like arseholes I guess, everyone has one. But the coaching team has watched Gard every day on the training pitch and in U23s games. I trust them more than I've trusted anybody involved in this football club over the last 6-8 years to make the right decisions.
Agreed

Good luck to Gard in the future if true, I think these are good signs already though. Management know they are going to have to be ruthless if we want a promotion push next season.

I wouldn't've been advocating playing Lewis Gard at the time of crisis (he was on loan at Heybridge Swifts at the time anyway), but I'd've liked to have seen him playing the last 8-10 games of the season, once that glimmer of a play-off spot had disappeared, to see if he was robust enough to consistently start Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday in a first-team environment. For me, when he's played in the first-team he's not looked out of place, but the question mark has been over whether he would be strong enough to play a significant part of the season, largely due to those two terrible injuries he's suffered.

But I doubt many people at the club know more about Lewis' capabilities than Kevin Maher, and if Kevin and the team don't feel there's a role for Lewis next season, then I can accept that. I hope Lewis can get a full season under his belt next season, at whatever level he ends up, and can start to work his way back up the pyramid.

Agree think slightly harsh saying Maher doesn’t like attacking midfielders though hasn’t really had any good ones
Neal aside, he hasn’t had good defensive midfielders either but that hasn’t stopped him picking them….
But the coaching team has watched Gard every day on the training pitch and in U23s games. I trust them more than I've trusted anybody involved in this football club over the last 6-8 years to make the right decisions.
That’s surely not saying much!

I support the current management team but that doesn’t mean I’m going to agree with every decision they make. They’re not going to get every decision right (much like us fans won’t get every decision right - but it’s usually harder for us to be proved wrong) and I’m not going to like every decision they make but expressing disagreement with decisions doesn’t mean I don’t support them. It’s been such a divisive time the last few years that we need to move past that so every decision doesn’t feel like a referendum on the management. It’s fine to debate a decision and that doesn’t mean you are calling for their head. They need time to implement their vision but it’s also fine to flag what we’d have done differently in their shoes.

I get that they are working off more information than I have (although I don’t think you are right when you say u23 games as I don’t believe Gard actually ever lined-up for the u23s in the Maher era, although he played (and scored) in the B team game v Brentford) but as we’ve been safe for months I’d have liked to have seen more of Gard, more of Wood and these last few weeks more of Benton and Coker, particularly alongside Neal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back