• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

cluniemore

The Wee Birdie
A wee birdie ask me to explain too the fans the difficult time a club has in the none playing months. Firstly most footballing people are on holiday between early may and early july. So when trying to add to your squad the main difficulties are having all parties available thus the time span in signing a player is greater. Keeping it a secret is even harder, press men have no stories to fill papers so they go with hearsay and gossip. Twitter is also a source for these starved reporters and this leads to a lot of frustrating stories which turn out untrue. The official website has come in for criticism which wee birdie feels is a bit unfair due to the time the club are taking to confirm our signings. It has pushed the club to give out certain stories well before completion, this is worrying the manager because he has seen so many deals fall through, he asks the fans to be patient and be assured that the club is working hard to bring several players to the club and the fans will be first to know, to try a give an insight to the fans the manager and ceo travelled yesterday and met a player and agent, they had permission from the players club to meet they agreed a deal and travelled home thinking everything was agreed only for the manager of other team to scupper the deal. They thought of making that signing public but thankfully didnt, he hopes the fans understand why from that story why its a slow process the meetings continue today keep the faith.

The wee birdie will have to learn that there are some who will not understand the reasonableness of the above post and that sometimes it's best to just say nothing. You can't reason with some people.

A wee birdie ask me to explain too the fans the difficult time a club has in the none playing months. Firstly most footballing people are on holiday between early may and early july. So when trying to add to your squad the main difficulties are having all parties available thus the time span in signing a player is greater. Keeping it a secret is even harder, press men have no stories to fill papers so they go with hearsay and gossip. Twitter is also a source for these starved reporters and this leads to a lot of frustrating stories which turn out untrue. The official website has come in for criticism which wee birdie feels is a bit unfair due to the time the club are taking to confirm our signings. It has pushed the club to give out certain stories well before completion, this is worrying the manager because he has seen so many deals fall through, he asks the fans to be patient and be assured that the club is working hard to bring several players to the club and the fans will be first to know, to try a give an insight to the fans the manager and ceo travelled yesterday and met a player and agent, they had permission from the players club to meet they agreed a deal and travelled home thinking everything was agreed only for the manager of other team to scupper the deal. They thought of making that signing public but thankfully didnt, he hopes the fans understand why from that story why its a slow process the meetings continue today keep the faith.

Yeah but where's the tour gonna be?????:smile:

So basically you are telling us what we already know. Oddly though, its the close season for all clubs and so many players have already been transferred to clubs in all divisions including our Lg 2. As for fans will be first to know, I doubt that will be as a result of the club informing us. News is normally broke through forum members that know the tea lady's thirteenth cousin twice removed, or the Evening Echo. Mind you it was nice to see that yesterday you failed to get one of your targets. Over the years of being a Blues supporter I have been told of more players we failed to sign than those we did sign. As for the OS I cannot remember the last time I looked at it. If it were in the slightest interesting or informative it might encourage people to look at it and then see offers/sponsors etc but as it is, I could post a naked picture of my hairy butt on the OS and then take bets as to how many days would go by before anyone noticed.

I don't think people were moaning as such about players being signed not being announced on the OS but more so there was no mention of the players who we let go.

Not even a 'thank you and all the best for the future'

The only one that went on the OS was the story about Anthony Grant leaving who left with all our blessing after he stayed when it would have been very easy to jump ship 2 years ago.

There was however no mention when we released Liam Dickinson.

Why do agents go away this time of year? This is their busy period. They have the whole season to go on holiday.

They only work January, June & July.

Personally I am greatful that the wee birdie gives us the info he/she does. Its not like we have ever had this source of info before and its good to get a glimpse of what is going on.

I think the Wee Birdie needs to understands whatever the club do some posters on here will always moan.

Blimey, 4.52am, hopefully the early Wee Birdy can capture us a few big worms in the transfer market!

Personally I am greatful that the wee birdie gives us the info he/she does. Its not like we have ever had this source of info before and its good to get a glimpse of what is going on.

I think the Wee Birdie needs to understands whatever the club do some posters on here will always moan.

I totally agree with this post... In any business there are always things you want to say but can't risk until the last minute. If the player mentioned in the original post had been announced and then the deal fell through the amount of criticism on here would have been immense. I for one are very grateful to see the posts from Cluniemore and the Wee Birdie. I'm quite happy to sit here assuming the board and Mr PS will always do what they think is the best for the club even if we don't always agree!

Roll on 18th August! UTB! :loyalsupporter:

No qualms with that post. As DtS said some will always complain whatever. Sign of the time really, we live in an instant age with twitter and club forums etc, we all crave news all the time instantly. Im sure the discussions on here about transfers could be found on other clubs' forums. Football fans tend to be of a similar ilk, ie we all like a good moan!

Someone should explain to the wee birdie the difficult time fans have in the none playing months. There are a few brave souls (less now than before) that spend their time camped out near the Boots & Laces, desperately scanning a piece of waste land for the least sign of activity, their hearts jumping a beat whenever a JCB or Caterpillar passes by. If you think that may be a waste of time you will equally have sympathy for the one or two, uncomfortably residing in their cars overlooking the main entrance to Roots Hall keen to be the first to record the appearance of a group of djellaba wearing investors in animated conversation with a man only visible by his fine mane of hair.
However, for the majority of us there are no performances to pick over, no criticism or praise for players or manager, no quandaries about team selection, tactics or injuries..................Oh yes! the close season is a dull time for us supporters..............apart from SPECULATION! Speculation is our manna from heaven. Every morsel of rumour is eagerly analysed and dissected, squeezed until the last drop of information is extracted. There are prayers offered to attract those of some talent who are rumoured, even slightly, to be interested in signing. Then there are those of us who recoil in horror at the prospect of other players arriving and one can sense the sheer sense of felief, when this doesn't come to pass. If only the wee birdie could know how many players have had a virtual career at our club, without coming anywhere near signing a contract, he would be amazed.
Rumour and speculation is OUR close season game..............it will always be so. Many of the things written are hyperbolic and sometimes in the realms of fantasy, others are much closer to the mark......we have quite a few good detectives on here and there are always snitches willing to divulge some scrap of information, be it true or false. When the little birdie reads these stories, I can imagine his moods changing from hilarity to incredulity and sometimes from frustration to even anger. Well, there is probably no harm in all this ..........as long as what is written doesn't hamper or risk endangering any negotiations taking place........there again, how can we ever be sure when that is the case. Like the cats in his garden the wee birdie will have to rest vigilant but accept to live with this menace.
By the way, I'm not prying, but was it a long fruitless trip yesterday i.e. 314miles (round trip) ...............or was it shorter and more like 179miles? Of course, I wouldn't infer ANYTHING from your answer! :winking:

You get up early these days Scriv!! :blush:

Back