• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kevin Hogg

President
Whatever the rights & wrongs of taking a chance on Freddy...it really does look as though the club is determined to go forward.
If you look at the investment in the playing staff (good and not so good) since January, it is difficult to criticise the club for lack of ambition or for failing to support the manager.
There are many who have doubts about Ron Martin but since I came back in February - there is an undoubted determination about the club.
Many will say Ron is investing because we "have" to be promoted. Isn't that why every club invests in playing staff? To succeed.
Southend United has the look, feel and smell...of success!

I think we will still be player with a budget no greater than last year. Just we have manged to get a numbers of earners off the books PS wanted rid of (not least Mr Paterson) and so we have money in the budget to invst else where. And a smaller squad = more left for the players we do have and investing in the right ones.

See nothing to suggest that we aren't just building very very nicely indeed

No cast your mind back to the latter stages of last season we ended light up frount Our main striker Dicko broke a bone and was out for the run in .Freddy was not fit but battled on Harris just couldnt run and Benyon was not up to much and was banned for 3 games .So more forwards may help the cause .

No cast your mind back to the latter stages of last season we ended light up frount Our main striker Dicko broke a bone and was out for the run in .Freddy was not fit but battled on Harris just couldnt run and Benyon was not up to much and was banned for 3 games .So more forwards may help the cause .

Sorry but that's harsh on Harris, that's not his game and has never been his game. For me Harris was one of our better players for the last couple of months of the season, coinciding with Freddy's arrival. We played more to Harris' strengths after Dicko's injury.

Bear in mindDicko didnt score in his last 8 games and we were in terrible form up until when he got injured. When Freddy came back we went from about 16th in the form table to 2nd. This was mainly because we changed the way we were playing due to the strikers we had, no bad thing.

Don't disagree but with all the players Sturrock has brought into the club, doesn't anyone else worry that we are over stretching ourselves a little? We have signed more forwards than the Harlequins !!!

We are kept to a strict budget so not that worried as long as players get paid. If we are unable to pay players it wont because we have one or two players too many, but that we have no money to pay any of them.

Dont forget some of the players that left like Grant, Dickinson and Paterson would have been earing a fair bit.

Whatever the rights & wrongs of taking a chance on Freddy...it really does look as though the club is determined to go forward.
If you look at the investment in the playing staff (good and not so good) since January, it is difficult to criticise the club for lack of ambition or for failing to support the manager.
There are many who have doubts about Ron Martin but since I came back in February - there is an undoubted determination about the club.
Many will say Ron is investing because we "have" to be promoted. Isn't that why every club invests in playing staff? To succeed.
Southend United has the look, feel and smell...of success!

Yes considering the disappointment of last season things have been very positive. This all started when Freddy came back on loan. Im not really sure what the rights and wrongs of signing him would be, he is no more of a risk than any other player we could sign and the one thing he brings is excitement and positivity to the club.

We have not lost anyone other than Grant that Im bothered about and have made some decent signings.

The main thing for me is style of play, if we revert back to the way we were playing in January, with absolutely no entertainment and having one shot on target every two games then it will account for little. If we continue where we left off the end of the season (bar the Crewe games) then we could be in for an even better season.

Yes considering the disappointment of last season things have been very positive. This all started when Freddy came back on loan. Im not really sure what the rights and wrongs of signing him would be, he is no more of a risk than any other player we could sign and the one thing he brings is excitement and positivity to the club.

We have not lost anyone other than Grant that Im bothered about and have made some decent signings.

The main thing for me is style of play, if we revert back to the way we were playing in January, with absolutely no entertainment and having one shot on target every two games then it will account for little. If we continue where we left off the end of the season (bar the Crewe games) then we could be in for an even better season.

The rights and the wrongs could be: We are obviously going to the wire in terms of wages...for a player that has shown almost zero form in 5 years.
I am not against it and this is a positive thread. But...blinkers off. Freddy has been poor, injured or sitting on his arse for 5 years!
That is the reason for my "rights and wrongs".

I am a Freddy fan...but lets be honest. Huge risk..but worth the risk in my opinion.

The rights and the wrongs could be: We are obviously going to the wire in terms of wages...for a player that has shown almost zero form in 5 years.
I am not against it and this is a positive thread. But...blinkers off. Freddy has been poor, injured or sitting on his arse for 5 years!
That is the reason for my "rights and wrongs".

I am a Freddy fan...but lets be honest. Huge risk..but worth the risk in my opinion.

Your points are certainly valid, but they also apply to the Championship, not league two.

Id rather risk £2000 on Freddy than £1000 on a player who has never done anything anywhere. Its not like we are going to be attracting any proven goal scorers in this league.

We took a risk with Corr and got a season out of him, and then a years salary down the toilet, I dont see Freddy as half the risk as Corr and doubt he will spend the season injured.

Back