• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I've been meaning to start a College Football thread since the season started, and now that the Crimson Tide are number one in the AP and BCS rankings, I've finally got round to it.......

It pains me to say it, but I don't see Alabama as the Number One team in the country, but they will play Penn State for the BCS title if both teams finish undefeated. For my money, Florida is the best team in the US right now, and their pasting of the Bulldogs on Saturday was sweet revenge.

Check out this story:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3677325

I prefer the NFL in terms of the quality and style of play, but you can't beat the College Game for intense rivalries and good old fashioned hatred!

I don't really have a college team. It'd feel a little strange rooting for a college team. In the States college football is a bit like following lower league football. It is where all the passion and rivalry is, it's where you have actual connections with the team you follow - its either your old college or your local team and they have real roots to the community unlike NFL franchises which can be moved around the country. Like lower league football, they aren't millionaires (at least not yet) but you get to see some genuine stars on the way up.

Having said I don't support anyone, as a Bengals fan (1 and 8, get in there!), I've developed a healthy disdain for the Buckeyes (Ohio State - the 'the' is voluntary as far as I'm concerned), or at least their fans.

sort of a Penn State follower due to family connections, but fail to see what the fuss is about. school/college pride is one of the real cultural chasms between the US and the UK.

This clip is high school rather than college, but I've been watching it over and over again and it is still making me laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRkQJvEjhrY

Basically the QB is doubling up as the kick-off and so an opponent just goes and takes him out after kick-off. It cracks me up each time.

I've no idea what they're good at, if anything, but Oregon State are called the Beavers and this young lady once went there so they're ok by me

sarajeanunderwood1.jpg

I don't really have a college team. It'd feel a little strange rooting for a college team. In the States college football is a bit like following lower league football. It is where all the passion and rivalry is, it's where you have actual connections with the team you follow - its either your old college or your local team and they have real roots to the community unlike NFL franchises which can be moved around the country. Like lower league football, they aren't millionaires (at least not yet) but you get to see some genuine stars on the way up.

Having said I don't support anyone, as a Bengals fan (1 and 8, get in there!), I've developed a healthy disdain for the Buckeyes (Ohio State - the 'the' is voluntary as far as I'm concerned), or at least their fans.

Good analogy YB, except there's few lower league games where you get 100,000 fans. I recall playing football at University in London in front of the subs and a handful of girlfriends - not quite the passion for collegiate athletics in this country.....

Im a bit of a USC fan myself. Its probally started 5-6 years ago when Carlson parmer was the QB followed by the Reggie Bush era. Although they have only lost 1 game this year, their division has been poor at best. I also follow Boise State, mainly due to their blue grass and the fact their division is not one of the big divsions in the league, but tehy still go unbeaten nearly every year, but have to fight for a bowl game.
As for this year Texas Tech beating Oklahaoma is a bit task, while alabama have to take on their rivals Auburn. with this in mind I think Florida will be at the national Championship game.

All about the College Game for me now after that loss to the Cowboys. Still think Florida is the team to beat. The SEC title game should be huge.

Rusty!

Apparently I am a Notre Dame footie fan, does that include me?
I have an ND game shirt from the 90's that was the QB with #3 on it.
My friends went there you see and a friend also teaches there!

Rusty!

Apparently I am a Notre Dame footie fan, does that include me?
I have an ND game shirt from the 90's that was the QB with #3 on it.
My friends went there you see and a friend also teaches there!

The 'Fighting Irish' have a rich history in the College game but are something of an irrelevance now - they are having another forgettable season. They still attract huge crowds and have the clout and the money to bring in the best high school players but it just isn't happening for them in recent years.

No respect for the Tide in 'play-off' game

It won't happen often when a Democrat is in the White House (and for all you pedants out there, I know he's not in yet), but I agree. An 8 team play-off would be far more satisfactory than the current system.

The SEC Championship game between Alabama and Florida is effectively a semi-final for the BCS title game - but it's pure luck that it's worked out that way. The Big 12 title game, which could be the other semi if some common sense had been applied will instead feature twentieth ranked Missouri, who are going to get brutalised by the Oklahoma Sooners. USC and Texas are just looking in and hoping for the best.

The Alabama Crimson Tide, unbeaten and ranked number one, are a double digit underdog against the Gators. You think they're pumped up for this?

The Tide lose by 11. I know why I've never met a poor bookie now.

But didnt deserve to lose by 11.... dubious face mask call and an interception while chasing the game late......

Florida look good though, although if you listen to the commentators you'd think Tim Tebow had a golden co*k...... the guy is tough, a leader, but some of the balls he throws are awful

Back