• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The coming season - a true test of Tilly and Brush ??

CC51DAS

President
I think its fair to say that T+B were great motivators and had great team spirit when we were over-acheiving (and Fredi was banging in the goals ) on our way up , and not so good at holding it all together when the wheels started to fall off once we realised we'd risen too high too soon .

But does anyone agree that the coming season will perhaps be the best test yet of their true ability as Managers - with no Fred to muddy the waters , a squad that has been assembled over several seasons and the Blues playing at a more realistic level of competition for a Club of our size and resources ??

It will be a true test yes, but either way they have done a great job at the club and have taken us to heights we haven't seen for years previously. They shouldn't be under too much pressure to perform, and feel that they could lose their job, we may have to find a new way to play to adapt to life without freddy, and sort of regroup as a team of players and individuals. I think mid table would be respectable next season. However, we should be aiming to get straight back to the league above, lets also wait and see who plugs the gap that Freddy has left.

Personally, I think they will feel under enormous pressure.

There will be a lot of people looking at his 'bouncebackability'. Also, without Freddy, our only consistent proven goal scorer, there will be an eye on his tactics in shaping the new team.

Don't forget, Tilson's ambitious and has won a lot of admirers in club management and was briefly involved in the England set up. He'll want to do well too.

I think he and Brushy will do a good job again this year as we'll be one of the stronger teams in the division.

Things will go our way this year...

The expectations are going to be too high this season. After two promotion seasons and a season in the championship I think a lot will be expecting us to be in the top four.

Whilst Im hoping we can do well this season personally I dont think we will be high flying and I wonder how supporters will act should we find ourselves 12th at Christmas...

Personally, I think they will feel under enormous pressure.

There will be a lot of people looking at his 'bouncebackability'. Also, without Freddy, our only consistent proven goal scorer, there will be an eye on his tactics in shaping the new team.

Don't forget, Tilson's ambitious and has won a lot of admirers in club management and was briefly involved in the England set up. He'll want to do well too.

I think he and Brushy will do a good job again this year as we'll be one of the stronger teams in the division.

Things will go our way this year...

Really hope you're right about this FS . I think you have hit the nail on the head when you say they will be under enormous pressure

When Tilly first started no-one expected anything , when we went up no-one gave us a cat in hell's chance . Through that period we had an ace marksman that no defence at that level could cope with , and the guile of the Goat , neither of which we will have this time round . When we started last season we all knew in our heart of hearts that anything above a bottom 3 finish would be a bonus .

But this year the expectation is justifiably higher .

I think theres life after Eastwood,and the sooner we get over him the better. But my thought is if we do well this season,and we go up again, which after all is what we all want,what then. we wont have Eastwood,we cant it seems sign and pay the wagesof the players we need to stay up. I no we have to play this season first,so lets wait and see how tilly and brush do this season.

It's going to be a tough season, and I don't think our results will match some people's expectations. The most important thing, I believe, will be to get a good start - if we struggle in the early part of the season it could mean a long struggle

It's going to be a tough season, and I don't think our results will match some people's expectations. The most important thing, I believe, will be to get a good start - if we struggle in the early part of the season it could mean a long struggle

Hopefully 9 points from the first 3 matches - or is that expecting too much ??

No for once Id like us to buck that little trend. Want nothing but a win against Orient and we really need a positive start.

If we can get 7 points from the first 3 games that would be a fantastic achievement....

We are looking very strong in mf now,for me thats where games are won or lost.You cant win games without the ball.Some off our shot shy strikers might just surprise a few people this season.

We are looking very strong in mf now,for me thats where games are won or lost.You cant win games without the ball.Some off our shot shy strikers might just surprise a few people this season.

I agree here - midfield is looking good for the coming season with plenty of cover. I also think with the lesser quality of striker and with a new face at CB we will be ok in defence. Our success this season will depend on whether our strikeforce is capable of sticking the ball into the net on a regular basis...

Exactly, we are against lesser teams and with what looks like a stronger midfield.

Up front is where we will find out whether we have a chance of pushing for promotion. If McDonald can do well and we get someone else who can score 10-15 we have a chance.

. When we started last season we all knew in our heart of hearts that anything above a bottom 3 finish would be a bonus . .

Sorry friend. But i for one, thought we would fare better than 4th from bottom! Dont go making excuses for tilson, brush, or the players. They all had a sh1te season. All this Sir this and Sir that. Its all b0llocks.
I'm all for wiping the slate clean but lets not go making excuses for what was a p1ss poor season from all aspects of the club. (with the exception of the support).

Sorry friend. But i for one, thought we would fare better than 4th from bottom! Dont go making excuses for tilson, brush, or the players. They all had a sh1te season. All this Sir this and Sir that. Its all b0llocks.
I'm all for wiping the slate clean but lets not go making excuses for what was a p1ss poor season from all aspects of the club. (with the exception of the support).

Fair dos - but I also thought we'd do enough to stay up even if underneath I felt we might be expecting too much .

Point is tho that you also seem to be holding quite high expectations for this year -true?

Last season i thought we could have done better. A lack of experience from all angles hindered our chances of survival but after christmas we showed fight and a decent team spirit. I think this can stand us in good stead for th coming season. I do not think think there will be as much pressure on the management in terms of tactical nous etc as the gap between these two league is huge. The chairman has shown he has faith and i think the growing support has shown that as well. Everyone hopes for promotion but i am not sure everyone is expecting it.

Fair dos - but I also thought we'd do enough to stay up even if underneath I felt we might be expecting too much .

Point is tho that you also seem to be holding quite high expectations for this year -true?

Dont know whats brings you to that conclusion? But funny enough, you are right! I do have high expectations for this season. I do believe that last season, our management were out of their depth. However, the bitter experience should stand them in good stead for the coming campaign.
Im no footballing guru but i can spot naivity a mile off...and i saw a lot of it last season.
I believe that tilson, brush et al will have learnt an awful lot from the shambles that was last season and if they haven't they deserve the chop!

Back