• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Coulson problem

I disagree - actually, I think Coulson is a far better player, but similarly to Anton, his legs aren't what they were and he therefore has to try to not leave himself exposed to someone running at him.

Of course, any opposition scout with any clue will tell opposition managers that that is exactly what they should do. Brown and Fagan need to counteract that by not leaving him to be exposed - no way should he ever be last man as he was on occasion on Tuesday.

Coulson looks bang average, not the sort of player to base your team around anyway.

Reminds me a lot of Graham Bressington, there was obviously a player in there a few years ago, but the body has long since given up.

So its good is it, that we are having to protect a player who is so slow that we have to organise the system around him and hope to God it works, which of course it hasnt. Coulson was shot 2 years ago as others outside the club advised

The turning circle of a tanker with sails is not a great investment if you wish to move your business forward

Yes they are. And if Ron hadn’t panicked and brought back Brown,under MM ,we’d now be watching a much younger,still developing,commanding pairing of Hobson and Cordner
Did you see Cordner last night?

We probably got the slowest backline in the league in Coulson, hobson and white. My nan could run faster than these 3.
Although that’s not actually our back line and why Ralph is at centre-half despite everyone on here trying to move him back to left-back.

But it’s not just the slow centre-halves; we need to look at the lack of pace in midfield with Dunne and Atkinson, the lack of pace at wing back with Demitriou and Bridge, Dalby up front. Brown has been able to remake the squad over the summer - a luxury denied to Molesley - but has assembled a distinctly unbalanced squad.

Coulson is an excellent centre back, wins his headers, strong and reads the game well. But his legs have well and truly gone, so any time he gets into a running race, he’s badly exposed.

As we saw at Aldershot, it took one player with a bit of pace to pick the ball up and just breeze past him. It worries me that teams will start deliberately targeting him. That’s obviously why Brown was playing 5 at the back with Ralph next to him to stop him being too exposed. But all that does is just upset the balance of the rest of the team.

So what’s the answer? Leave him out. From what I’ve heard it was no secret last season his legs had gone, so I reckon we can put this down to another bit of poor recruitment.

Although that’s not actually our back line and why Ralph is at centre-half despite everyone on here trying to move him back to left-back.

But it’s not just the slow centre-halves; we need to look at the lack of pace in midfield with Dunne and Atkinson, the lack of pace at wing back with Demitriou and Bridge, Dalby up front. Brown has been able to remake the squad over the summer - a luxury denied to Molesley - but has assembled a distinctly unbalanced squad.

The reason why ralph is centre half is due to the lack of pace the other 3 have.

I questioned are recruitment in the summer regards to their ages. I remember saying the signings looked solid signings for this league but needed the next batch of signings in around 23-29 mark...... unfortunately we only brought in couple youngsters on loan and will Atkinson who best days are behind him. I agree we have got an unbalanced squad. Maybe Brown missed judge this league thinking if I sign experience that will get us near the top end of the league. Clearly its not working.

Its a first for me, a manager tailoring his line up to protect an old defender....

Every opposition manager will look to exploit his lack of pace, which makes him a liability.

I disagree - actually, I think Coulson is a far better player, but similarly to Anton, his legs aren't what they were and he therefore has to try to not leave himself exposed to someone running at him.

Of course, any opposition scout with any clue will tell opposition managers that that is exactly what they should do. Brown and Fagan need to counteract that by not leaving him to be exposed - no way should he ever be last man as he was on occasion on Tuesday.

The difference is, Anton had a youngster next to him. We can't play Coulson and White in a back 4 (I would argue that we can't play them together in a back 5!!).

The reason why ralph is centre half is due to the lack of pace the other 3 have.

I questioned are recruitment in the summer regards to their ages. I remember saying the signings looked solid signings for this league but needed the next batch of signings in around 23-29 mark...... unfortunately we only brought in couple youngsters on loan and will Atkinson who best days are behind him. I agree we have got an unbalanced squad. Maybe Brown missed judge this league thinking if I sign experience that will get us near the top end of the league. Clearly its not working.
And it will only get worse with the heavy pitches over the winter months

We will probably exercise his year contract extension and he is one of the better paid players at the club. No one will want a past it person on big wages. We will just have to get used to him being in the team for a couple of seasons. Nothing can be done. Bit like with Ron really. We just have to sit it out and wait for them to go

I still cant help wondering if Ron is a little unsure on what to do with Phil, and wants to give him at least 10 games to see if he can win more than one, then the other urgent and decisive action would be to act on Contracts. Atkinson is only on 5 months I believe. Cancel that now. Pay up Coulsons one year. Send back Kargbo and Dennis. Quickly bring in better loanees if possible.

See if Aki and ANG can be accomodated and if Rons pledge of more funds is real , see if we can buy in a decent left centre back and or midfielder. Need to act either way soon before our relegation battle intensifies''

Bring on Howard and utilise Rush more ??

Back