• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Coulson problem

Coulson has no legs; Hobson has....?
His heading is often awry, as Brown remarked; and his passing and tackling worry me more than anything else.
You would like to think a Hobson would be on the end of set pieces at corners and free-kicks, but...?
A new centre back is the answer, but I doubt the budget will run to it, and who's decent that hasn't already got a club?

Coulson has no legs; Hobson has....?
His heading is often awry, as Brown remarked; and his passing and tackling worry me more than anything else.
You would like to think a Hobson would be on the end of set pieces at corners and free-kicks, but...?
A new centre back is the answer, but I doubt the budget will run to it, and who's decent that hasn't already got a club?
Accept some of that but also our player of the year in the league with some outstanding efforts

I appreciate the comments but one thing to point out though, Coulson didnt exactly get the right pre season and I do wonder if this has caught up with him somewhat?

Phil Brown drummed on about the importance of the signings being sorted early to make sure they benefitted from the gruelling pre season planned but we are signing people like Atkinson so have been out of the game for 12 months plus I think our reputation is literally in tatters and players wont risk it... so we end up with what is left. If the players Phil really want wont sign you take what you can get.

So basically it's still all Ron's fault for ****ing up in the past... what can we expect. If you have a family and a mortgage would you go to the club that always pays on time or the one that doesn't always pay on time and this has been confirmed by ex players on social media.

Sadly our club is an absolute mess and potential players know this

Its a first for me, a manager tailoring his line up to protect an old defender....

Every opposition manager will look to exploit his lack of pace, which makes him a liability.
When you have a particularly good player and you set up your team to suit that player you're 'playing to your strengths'.

With PB setting up to suit Coulson, is this a rather bizarre case of 'playing to your weakness'?

I appreciate the comments but one thing to point out though, Coulson didnt exactly get the right pre season and I do wonder if this has caught up with him somewhat?

Phil Brown drummed on about the importance of the signings being sorted early to make sure they benefitted from the gruelling pre season planned but we are signing people like Atkinson so have been out of the game for 12 months plus I think our reputation is literally in tatters and players wont risk it... so we end up with what is left. If the players Phil really want wont sign you take what you can get.

So basically it's still all Ron's fault for ****ing up in the past... what can we expect. If you have a family and a mortgage would you go to the club that always pays on time or the one that doesn't always pay on time and this has been confirmed by ex players on social media.

Sadly our club is an absolute mess and potential players know this
This is a fair point but it should be noted that players like Coulson and Atkinson are being picked over players who had full pre-seasons in Hobson and Ferguson.

This is a fair point but it should be noted that players like Coulson and Atkinson are being picked over players who had full pre-seasons in Hobson and Ferguson.
I don’t really get Atkinson being brought in. Makes no sense to me. Sad to see really, like McCormack last season but worse. Coulson is a big unit and can defend, he’s just slow. Ferguson, I’d still play him in front of the defence but what do I know.

Last edited:
I agree about Coulson’s lack of pace being exposed being a continuing worry, however in his favour is the way he heads the ball away which leads to far less goals being conceded from set pieces than the last few seasons.

What we need is someone who reads the game and heads the ball like Coulson, but has the legs of Hobson. Unfortunately we either can’t afford them or they wouldn’t want to play in the National League. Therefore we’re left with leaving him out and lacking heading ability (e.g. Hobson’s sideways header against Aldershot which directly led to a goal) or building a system around him.

Back