• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The current state of Roots Hall

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
I know Ron doesn't have a proverbial pot to **** in but Roots Hall seems to have gone to ruin.

I can only really comment on the west and the north (here say)

Today the turnstiles weren't working.
The toilets were a disgrace.
The ceiling was literally leaking with water and the floors were a health hazard.
There were holes in the ceiling by the west W block entrance.
The speakers are terrible and are obviously blown.

The North Bank capacity has been reduced by half as the toilets are no longer in usable in the North West corner and the concrete is crumbling.

We are told that there is a massive insurance premium each year just to be able to use the stadium.

Surely, we must now be getting close to the ground being condemned.

Years of neglect by a totally incompetent owner unfortunately and does make you wonder how long Roots Hall can be used without some work being done
Go fund me?

Seriously though if ron hadnt spent the last 10 years ****ing everyone off i guarantee there are enough trades and skills in our fanbase to fix most of the problems in the ground, plus assist with the financial, legal, marketing and commercial sides of the business either for free or mates rates.

Plus the floodlights seem to have fewer working bulb’s on a regular basis and it is a concern this could have a serious impact on a game soon.

And that scoreboard much like the team today was only half working.

Was at RH recently (west stand) for a night and day game and was aghast at the state of the place. How does it get a safety certificate each year?

The amount of bird **** on the steps at the South side of the West Stand was incredible.

It really is a piece of **** and will no way pass it’s safety certificate for next season. If we make it that far.

The amount of bird **** on the steps at the South side of the West Stand was incredible.

It really is a piece of **** and will no way pass it’s safety certificate for next season. If we make it that far.
It's down to the owner to maintain the standards of the stadium. The last time Roots Hall last been renovated as such was under Vic jobson, that was nearly 30 years ago.

Last edited:
The seat just infront of me was obliterated by a stray ball at the Wrexham game back in September and has been reported by myself constantly since aswell as everyone that’s bought that seat since yet as of todays game still hasn’t been replaced.

The old girl really is falling apart

Orient fan here in peace. I was dragged along by my son today, first time I’ve visited in years and couldn’t believe the deterioration and my son and I were discussing this on the way home. The standard of football wasn’t much better either unfortunately. I genuinely hope you pull things around as I always enjoyed our rivalry, but having visited today I do fear for you. Best of luck for the rest of the season.

Orient fan here in peace. I was dragged along by my son today, first time I’ve visited in years and couldn’t believe the deterioration and my son and I were discussing this on the way home. The standard of football wasn’t much better either unfortunately. I genuinely hope you pull things around as I always enjoyed our rivalry, but having visited today I do fear for you. Best of luck for the rest of the season.

The football today was dire, we have played well this season. Today it just didn't happen.

Its sad to see Roots hall on its knees.

I used to think Roots Hall wasn't bad little stadium, bit rough round the edges bit had that compact feel to it. Today it's a dump if I'm honest.
Unfortunately, I have to agree - Roots Hall is nothing short of a dump, and I am becoming embarrassed that fans have to put up with such poor facilities and standards.

As an exile who has a season ticket, the idea of doing a 400 mile round trip to visit a ground which leaves you with soaked feet trying to get to the toilets and aching legs because your seat is broken and doesn’t pull down (have reported this several times) is becoming less and less desirable.

Before you even get into the ground something is broken or not working- turnstiles not working. Little things like this are important to get right -for example, a young kid who might be going to his or her first game wants to experience what Roots Hall can be like - they’ve bought a season card, shown all their mates - get to the game and don’t even get to scan it.

All this adds up, and fast. People soon start turning away from coming to Roots Hall, and will advise others not to bother from the get go.

We all know who is to blame for this.

Ron Martin, you are a disgrace and should be ashamed.

On the positive side, at the Boreham wood game my print at home tickets worked at the south stand turnstile - first time ever

I know from our recent Liaison Meeting, that the Club is due to be having inspections on three stands next month. A large sum of money is necessarily having to be spent to pass these inspections, but in the meantime, other areas of the ground are fast decaying beyond repair.

It doesn't bother me not having branded hot drinks at the kiosks, it's much cheaper to make a cup of instant coffee or hot chocolate and to have a tea pot on the go but it's a basic right to expect to be able to safely use toilet facilities.

What on earth was the hold up exiting the West Stand yesterday as well? No-one seemed to go anywhere for about 10 minutes!

Last edited:
I expect next season will be the last time we be at Root Hall. The club had an straight choice, pay thousands to tidy Root Hall up or to pay staffs wages, if they pay to clean up Root Hall, instead of paying staffs wages, they get sticks from all of us. If they pay staffs wages instead of Root Hall, they get stick from all of us, we cannot win at all.

I know from our recent Liaison Meeting, that the Club is due to be having inspections on three stands next month. A large sum of money is necessarily having to be spent to pass these inspections, but in the meantime, other areas of the ground are fast decaying beyond repair.

It doesn't bother me not having branded hot drinks at the kiosks, it's much cheaper to make a cup of instant coffee or hot chocolate and to have a tea pot on the go but it's a basic right to expect to be able to safely use toilet facilities.

What on earth was the hold up exiting the West Stand yesterday as well? No-one seemed to go anywhere for about 10 minutes!
Interesting……
Is that usual? Mid season inspections?
Who’s ordered those inspections?
How much is being spent?

Are you able to say any more OBL?

I expect next season will be the last time we be at Root Hall. The club had an straight choice, pay thousands to tidy Root Hall up or to pay staffs wages, if they pay to clean up Root Hall, instead of paying staffs wages, they get sticks from all of us. If they pay staffs wages instead of Root Hall, they get stick from all of us, we cannot win at all.
You forget the bridging loan he has promised !!
But getting back to your post MM, as countless post have been before this shouldn’t happen or be in the position , so yes RM and those that stick with him at the club deserve all abuse he receives on forums and at matches, I would never go as far as outside his house as his family have no part in this, it’s down to one man only

Interesting……
Is that usual? Mid season inspections?
Who’s ordered those inspections?
How much is being spent?

Are you able to say any more OBL?
The Minutes have been approved and are waiting to be posted so I see no reason why I can't copy and paste directly from them:

In order to comply with the Club’s Safety Certificate, electrical testing and remedial works (if required) need to be taken to the East, South and North stands. Purely to test the East Stand will cost approx. £11k – this is something that has to be done, the East Stand is tested every year, and the other stands every other year. Unfortunately, the situation with Covid has pushed them all together this time. Without this, we would face the East Stand being closed. The testing works have already been commissioned and paid for.

Back