• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The current state of Roots Hall

Not down to Tom that one, that was a SUCET initiative and they decided the grant wasn't worth pursuing with the move of scholars to Garons. Covered in Liaison Meeting Minutes.
Thanks for that Kay. Never bother reading liason minutes so that one obviously passed me by.

I remember however that the whole idea of the CEO’s proposed bike rack was to “make Roots Hall more green friendly” so people could cycle to the ground on match days - as discussed on a Zoom call I was on.

Lets hope so but very small for your fanbase, Orient or Col U would be far better especially for parking, we have (As you know!) around 700 spaces at Col U, 1000 across the road at the Park and Ride and the new Leisure Gateway should be open next season offering loads of eateries and extra entertainment, and 750 parking spaces some with charging points. https://northerngatewaycolchester.co.uk/leisure-park/
They're a long way from here though, mate. Many of our fan base follow us as we are their local team.

They're a long way from here though, mate. Many of our fan base follow us as we are their local team.

Yes that is always the issue, look at the state of Coventry City when they were ground sharing, if it comes to it the club will have to act and go pretty much wherever they can. Good luck folks, I hope it all works out for you.

Yes that is always the issue, look at the state of Coventry City when they were ground sharing, if it comes to it the club will have to act and go pretty much wherever they can. Good luck folks, I hope it all works out for you.
Thanks mate. As alluded to previously, we'd still need to find the funds to pay said club to share their ground aswell. It would have a huge impact on the condition of their pitch.

Billericay would be acceptable based on capacity and the ability to segregate.
Floodlights should also be 250 lux at their level so fine for NL.
The big issue there is parking, but they do/did have an arrangement with the cricket club.

I'd expect any local groundshare would require special dispensation from the NL on any shortcomings over and above the fundamentals.

The other less convenient options would be Daggers, Orient or, of course, Col U.
London Stadium would also be a possibility given the third party control of the venue.
They currently segregate by using a piece of tape and a couple of stewards, don’t believe that would be acceptable. There are a few fundamentals on which they not at a necessary standard.

They currently segregate by using a piece of tape and a couple of stewards, don’t believe that would be acceptable. There are a few fundamentals on which they not at a necessary standard.
That doesn't preclude them from being considered - that may well be the methodology they choose to adopt to save time and cost, particularly given that segregation at that level is pretty much unheard of.

The fundamental requirement would be evidence that one area of the ground can be effectively segregated both physically and from a safety management perspective - if there are methods of egressing spectators in separate directions then even better.

Ultimately it will be the call of the Safety Advisory Group.

Asides lack of turnstiles and exits, Blunts Wall Road is one of the bigger problems being it’s narrow and the only access-way to / from the ground for both home and away fans from Tye Common Road.

Last edited:
Reactions: GBJ
Lets hope so but very small for your fanbase, Orient or Col U would be far better especially for parking, we have (As you know!) around 700 spaces at Col U, 1000 across the road at the Park and Ride and the new Leisure Gateway should be open next season offering loads of eateries and extra entertainment, and 750 parking spaces some with charging points. https://northerngatewaycolchester.co.uk/leisure-park/
So many parking spaces ???
Your lot must actually be expecting us to be moving in for a while .
Either that or some ginormous away followings.

Will the bar where the ceiling fell in or have the Health and Safety shut it .

I honestly wonder whether they are waiting to see what league we are in next season before deciding to spend anything more on Roots Hall.

If a plastic pitch is acceptable in the NL, then a ground share next season and stopping throwing money down the drain at Roots Hall seems a distinct possibility to me. Just keep the offices open.

Billericay would be acceptable based on capacity and the ability to segregate.
Floodlights should also be 250 lux at their level so fine for NL.
The big issue there is parking, but they do/did have an arrangement with the cricket club.

I'd expect any local groundshare would require special dispensation from the NL on any shortcomings over and above the fundamentals.

The other less convenient options would be Daggers, Orient or, of course, Col U.
London Stadium would also be a possibility given the third party control of the venue.
This, having been through it myself. Ground grading is nuanced *but* there is a loophole I seem to remember which could help SUFC if we were looking to ground share with a current NLS team.

Grading is intended to get you to the level so that if you are promoted, it is just about acceptable - and you then have a period of grace to get it to the proper level.

I’d imagine that if SUFC were in the fortunate position of knowing (rather than hoping) that they only needed one or two seasons before moving, a deal could be proposed between other club and NL, with rent being put towards the improvements required on completion. Whether NL would accept of course is another matter, but there is the ability for grounds to be “promoted” and worked on.

I think the period of grace is 3 years from memory, but could be wrong. Obviously it is intended to apply to new grounds where the club have been promoted, rather than a ground itself being promoted via ground share. This could explain Dorkings situation having risen the leagues fairly quickly too.

As for how the NL would look at Roots Hall, seeing the pics here, lots of “ambers” on their spreadsheets! Doubt there’d be a red though as it is all fixable.

Last edited:
Of course it may be possible to continue to play at Roots Hall and just use 2 stands, the cost of repairing them to a safe condition may be less than the cost of paying someone else to use their likely smaller stadium. Take Billericay with a total capacity of around 4K, if the two biggest stands were structurally safe and cosmetically repaired it would probably give you a capacity of approx 6K which would mean 50% more income. Not nice but if it keeps the club in business for 2/3 years until your new facility is funded and built it would be worth it and the club stays in it's own area.

Of course it may be possible to continue to play at Roots Hall and just use 2 stands, the cost of repairing them to a safe condition may be less than the cost of paying someone else to use their likely smaller stadium. Take Billericay with a total capacity of around 4K, if the two biggest stands were structurally safe and cosmetically repaired it would probably give you a capacity of approx 6K which would mean 50% more income. Not nice but if it keeps the club in business for 2/3 years until your new facility is funded and built it would be worth it and the club stays in it's own area.
I think I need to go and have a lay down. I'm in agreement with a North Essex sheep worrier. Outrageous. Good Shout CaP.

Back