• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Damned United - Trailer online

Good picture of Sheen as Clough...though he does look more like the guy from thr Carry on films who's name eludes me!!

Good picture of Sheen as Clough...though he does look more like the guy from thr Carry on films who's name eludes me!!

Do you mean Kenneth Williams? Who he's played in a tv drama...
_44702823_sheen_kwilliams_bbc_226.jpg

here's the trailer for The Damned United...
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LYzsswqPk6s

I really want to watch it, and read the book!

Saw a trailer on tv the other day (maybe this one .. can't view youtube at work) and it looks a good film .. i'm not sure whether to read the book first though :unsure:

The book is good, but it's not the best work on Clough, primarily because it's a fictionalised account. You never know what you're getting. Plus it's got that David Peace style to it that gets on your tits after a while.

"Southend lost. Always losing. Lose. Lose. Lose. Used to be in with a shout of the play-offs. Not anymore. Not now. Now. Now. Now we have a significantly weaker squad. Significantly. Significant. I like drinking tea. Tea! Just tea. ****ing. Tea. Southend lost."

And so on...

Far better is the exquisite 'Provided You Dont Kiss Me' by Duncan Hamilton, his first autobiography simply entitled 'Clough - The Autobiography' and, if you can find it, there's a Tony Francis biog from the late 80s which is excellent and far more perceptive than most of the love-fests you get from journos. Also, have a look out for something called 'Football Fables'. It's not particularly great, but the last chapter is a double header on what it was like to play for the man.

Best sports book I read was Cascarino's biog. But I can't wait for Wignall's piece de reistance.

Chapter 1: I never got what I wanted for Christmas
Chapter 2: I never got what I wanted for my Birthday
Chapter 3: I never got that first kiss
Chapter 4: I never got any backing at Southend
Chapter 5: I never got a chance
Chapter 6: I never got what I deserved.

Chapter 1: I never got what I wanted for Christmas
Chapter 2: I never got what I wanted for my Birthday
Chapter 3: I never got that first kiss
Chapter 4: I never got any backing at Southend
Chapter 5: I never got a chance
Chapter 6: I never got what I deserved.

Chapter 4:

I neva got no pashion, Ron sez. I dont beleev im. Es torking rubish.

I just watched that youtube clip and it is indeed the clip i saw on telly the other night, looks a cracking film but, as suggested, i think i'll read the book first

Back