• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Damned United

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Quick review as Mrs Slipperduke is waiting to be taken out and treated right.

Exceptional. Utterly charming. There's loads of bits that are out of the timeline, loads of quotes that are attributed to the wrong people and loads of absolute fantasy, but after a while you stop caring. Besides, only an utter geek like myself would notice half of it.

Michael Sheen is superb, he captures Clough perfectly, much more accurately than Peace does in the book. Colm Meaney is Don Revie. He really is.

Calling it the best football film ever doesn't do it justice, becasue there's only one other worthy of a place in your DVD collection and that's Mike Bassett. This is a quality, quality film.

Good to hear Slips, can't wait to see it, don't know when I am going to fit it in though!

I'm really looking forward to seeing this, heard good things, and love the book

Calling it the best football film ever doesn't do it justice, becasue there's only one other worthy of a place in your DVD collection and that's Mike Bassett. This is a quality, quality film.

I enjoyed Fever Pitch, even if it wasn't anything like as good as the book.

Looking forward to seeing this next week.

Mrs went to see this last night whilst I was at the Hartlepool game (Cloughie connection there) and gave it a big thumbs up.

Anyone else see the excellent 'Clough' on ITV Wednesday night? Top drawer documentary. On ITV. Honest.

Mrs went to see this last night whilst I was at the Hartlepool game (Cloughie connection there) and gave it a big thumbs up.

Anyone else see the excellent 'Clough' on ITV Wednesday night? Top drawer documentary. On ITV. Honest.

Saw the documentary which was excellent and as you say on ITV.:stunned: I don't I'll bother with the film however.

Saw the documentary which was excellent and as you say on ITV.:stunned: I don't I'll bother with the film however.

Excellent review of the documentary here

As Giles Smith points out, great to see a programme where they only spoke to people who were really involved, not just speak to a weather girl who saw Clough on telly once.

Excellent review of the documentary here

As Giles Smith points out, great to see a programme where they only spoke to people who were really involved, not just speak to a weather girl who saw Clough on telly once.

Great public service there, Uxbridge- the boy Smithy done good! ps check out a response to Smithy article in the footnotes & critic's view of Bobby Moore- he clearly forgets the fantastic 'ball winning foot-in' against Pele in 1970, one of the finest tackles I've seen...

Definitely interested in seeing it, but probably wait until the DVD. The documentary however was fascinating stuff - that's the Forest I remember! Not the side they are today.

I think the key thing to bear in mind is that the majority of the book was pure fiction, and wrote by an authorwho hates Yorkshire and Leeds. The film is even further from the book and perhaps further from reality itself.

Enjoy both for what they are and don't pay too much notice to what he claims happenend. I am looking forward to seeing the film, we get quite a bashing but whats different.

Another thing to consider also is a few Leeds players, Johnny Giles especially obtained a Court order to stop the intended portrayal of himself being shown. This is probably because of the reasons mentioned by toellandback. It is well known that a fair numbers of Leeds players said either he goes or we do!

That said, I intend going to see it!

Quick review as Mrs Slipperduke is waiting to be taken out and treated right.

Exceptional. Utterly charming. There's loads of bits that are out of the timeline, loads of quotes that are attributed to the wrong people and loads of absolute fantasy, but after a while you stop caring. Besides, only an utter geek like myself would notice half of it.

Michael Sheen is superb, he captures Clough perfectly, much more accurately than Peace does in the book. Colm Meaney is Don Revie. He really is.

You've obviously not seen ' soccerdog' then ??

There's loads of bits that are out of the timeline, loads of quotes that are attributed to the wrong people and loads of absolute fantasy, but after a while you stop caring. Besides, only an utter geek like myself would notice half of it.

Not the only one.

Went to see it at the Odeon yesterday at 2.30pm. Fittingly there were only 11 of us in there. Being the youngest by a good 20 years, though, I felt oddly out of place.

First of all the plus points. Michael Sheen is so good in the lead role it's as if Brian Clough has come alive before you. That mischievous, cocky Teesside burr hits your senses and, well, he simply looks the spitting image at times. Uncannily brilliant. The actor playing Don Revie does an amazing job, too, looking and talking just how I remembered The Don. Jim Broadbent camps it up as Derby chairman Sam Longston excellently too.

As for the minus points, the numerous and persistent inaccuracies regarding quotes, matches played and dates soon become irritating for those of us who remember those times. For something that was billed as a fictional portrayal based upon fact it was disappointing to have either researched things so lazily or think the entire audience would just go along with it. The way the Leeds United side were portrayed throughout the Revie era, as a bunch of selfish, cheating thugs, was appallingly untrue, too, and Johnny Giles in particular must be livid with the film makers.

On the whole, if you love football watch the Clough documentary on ITV instead. If you love brilliant leading role performances go see the film and treat it all as fiction. And if you're a Leeds United fan it's probably best to stay away from both..

Glad to see its getting decent reviews, looking forward to seeing it in the week.

I really want to see the film, Micheal Sheen is a superb actor. I enjoyed the book as a work of fiction although Peace's style got on my nerves, my nerves, my nerves.

Thought the Clough documentary was fantastic, and liked the Leeds players contributions, I thought they were the most telling in terms of the criticism of the book.

I really liked the film, Clough is no where near as aggressive as he is in the book, no burning of Don Revie's desk etc. But really worth watching.

Back