• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Day the Immigrants Left

steveo

mine to stay the same please
Evan Davis investigates the impact of immigration on the employment market in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, by challenging local people to take over a number of the jobs normally done by foreign workers. Moving beyond the workplace, he also explores how the town's public services, such as schools and the NHS, are coping with the demands of new arrivals

Might be a subject for discussion tomorrow - BBC1 9pm

Does look good , they had Evan Davis a local man on BBC nes this morning , and he himself was surprised by how hard the "immigrants" do work.
However Wisbech has a very long tradition of migrant and foreign workers going back a few hundred years due to it being fen land .

After conclusively proving immigrants work harder I would imagine the BBC will now be replacing it's management with hard working Poles so they can provide a more cost effective service.

Last edited:
I think it showed the best of British initiative.

The guy who went to work in the curry house ended up getting a free slap up meal when he was supposed to be working and the fruit pickers did less work than the poles and still got there wages made up to minimum standards.

a proud day for thinking outside the box.

What a load of rubbish. Throw brits into jobs they have had no training or experience in then slag them off when they can't work as good as immigrants who have been doing it for ages.

If I was put in an indian restaurant tonight with no training or experience, I would not be able to cope. That guy didn't get much help at all, but the Indian guy in charge was fair to him.

Typical BBC, make the brit look bad and the immigrants look good

Yeah it was a weird one.

Shame that no-one was given skilled jobs they were vaguely trained in. The carpenter did well and the chef could have done had he not had 'food poisoning'.

Enjoyed some of the science behind it and thought the BBC Interviewer asked some interesting questions to redress the balance of pro-immigrant views of the school teacher and farm worker.

I dunno, thought it was quite interesting...

What a load of rubbish. Throw brits into jobs they have had no training or experience in then slag them off when they can't work as good as immigrants who have been doing it for ages.

If I was put in an indian restaurant tonight with no training or experience, I would not be able to cope. That guy didn't get much help at all, but the Indian guy in charge was fair to him.

Typical BBC, make the brit look bad and the immigrants look good

Err.... they were unskilled labour.

The Farm manager said that usually new recruits were up to speed within 3-4 hours

and how exactly does training help if you can't be bothered to turn up on the first day (1 in the veg factory and 3 at the restaurant) ?

Fair play to the two blokes at the veg factory who after a shaky start did well and the Chippy , I thought the girl at the Asparugus farm did ok, just got on with it without complaining despite being "not ideal phyically" for that type of work.

I thought it gave a good balance , it showed that not all people out of work are workshy and are willing to do what it takes, unfortunately the youngsters did not come over too well.

Interesting comment from the Veg factory owner that job applications from locals had dropped before the EU change allowed him to recruit.

Didn't see the actual programme itself but I did see an interesting discussion about it on Newsnight last night featuring the farmer,one of the workers and the Govt Minister concerned plus his Shadow.

Last edited:
Err.... they were unskilled labour.

The Farm manager said that usually new recruits were up to speed within 3-4 hours

and how exactly does training help if you can't be bothered to turn up on the first day (1 in the veg factory and 3 at the restaurant) ?

Fair play to the two blokes at the veg factory who after a shaky start did well and the Chippy , I thought the girl at the Asparugus farm did ok, just got on with it without complaining despite being "not ideal phyically" for that type of work.

I thought it gave a good balance , it showed that not all people out of work are workshy and are willing to do what it takes, unfortunately the youngsters did not come over too well.

Interesting comment from the Veg factory owner that job applications from locals had dropped before the EU change allowed him to recruit.

The guy that turned up for the Indian restaurant job was thrown to the lions. No training, no help, nothing.

If you believe that the immigrants working on the farm just turned up and were up to speed just like that, you have been fooled. The immigrants that do that type of work have been doing it for years, floating around europe. Although only manual labour, they are skilled at what they do.

The guy that turned up for the Indian restaurant job was thrown to the lions. No training, no help, nothing.

If you believe that the immigrants working on the farm just turned up and were up to speed just like that, you have been fooled. The immigrants that do that type of work have been doing it for years, floating around europe. Although only manual labour, they are skilled at what they do.

Yeah I reckon any one of us lot who post in the Curry Thread would struggle to tell a Chicken Bhuna from a Chicken Dupiaza.

He was a bit harshly dealt with but that's because his team let him down and he had to do front of house work. But he came off well I thought, he went back in, got involved and the BBC overlaid a bit of Coldplay's 'Clocks' over his efforts which is always a ringing endorsement.

That was one case where it was not really fair. Interesting comments from the curry house owner / punters though that he'd never want to see a westerner working there though as it'd spoil the experience.

Would it? I wasn't so sure...

That was one case where it was not really fair. Interesting comments from the curry house owner / punters though that he'd never want to see a westerner working there though as it'd spoil the experience.

The Mumtaz Mahal in Benfleet employs western staff. I think the Hasina in Eastwood does as well.

Interesting comments from the curry house owner / punters though that he'd never want to see a westerner working there though as it'd spoil the experience.

Surely to say that is racist?

Surely to say that is racist?

Westerners arnt a race per sa just a geographical view point ;).

It was an interesting programme but as commenedted on by Snajiva Bhaskar this morning on the wright stuff , an economic migrant from a society where you will die if you don't get work (his father was such a person) is always driven more and the two types of people are nearly incomparable. If your in your own "country" your normally driven by less desperate motives .
As for the Asparagus farm , the younger guy had ADHD , of which teh supervisor was probably unaware (i.e he was getting distracted by other things ) and clear didnt understand. And as much as i hate to say it its a supply and demand industry if everyone self grew the farmer wouldn't be in the position to do it .

There is larger issues of necessity of supply and demand that also need to be addressed here. But the lad in the Curry house did do very well, and as already mentioned the patron's/owners views expressed a mentality of mainting a certain product image as well.

The Potato supervisor at the begining trying to say that the job was more important then a person's health was another point of ingrained ignorance .

Are English workers worse , propably not have they been given a over extend self of being too good for somethings (again as a Danish buissness woman commenting on a talk show this morning said , yet found no problems with Scots Welsh or Irish ) ? Maybe , but as also brought up the work ethic was there 10 years ago , it didn't vanish over night , and neitehr did the immigrants appear , though 2.2 Million of English are believed to be economic migrants.

Last edited:
ADHD

Even bloody Attention Deficit Disorder is being show in HD these days...

If you have ADHD , the wind , people , sun light, incests, bird's, depends on his severity really . Your attention can be say like an excited toddler but of course your an adult .
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Makes more entertaining telly ....

I would like to think I have an active mind however I managed to hold down a job in a sponge factory for over a year.

If anything there were more distractions due to the different sponge types (scourer, massage, novelty animal shape etc.)

I worked on a mushroom farm for a while as well and still managed to keep my eyes on the road.

Last edited:
Back