• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good read - I'm a big fan of Daniel Taylor's stuff.

I may have to whisper this quietly on a Southend site, but I'm tempted to go to the Boleyn Ground one last time. I've only ever been for an FA Youth Cup game (Glen Johnson scored three times for West Ham in the first ten minutes and I *think* it ended 3-0) and would like to sample it for a slightly better attended game.

I went to West Ham yesterday, after a couple of season ticket holders couldn't go. First premiership game for about 6 or seven years. We met up with some other friends and went to the Black Lion mentioned in the article.

In the days of Friday night (cheaper) football I often used to go to a London game If I wasn't playing on a Saturday, mostly West Ham. So for me it was a trip down memory lane.

Have to say like all modern fans there was plenty of loud groans if the ball was played back to the keeper or a pass didn't quite come off. I guess if they want the perfect player they have no choice but to move stadiums and already they have priced their season tickets to low for what they expect.

My very early football was all non league, my Dad was the Trainer (as they called it in those days) for Woodford Town . A lot of the grounds I visited in those days have gone, Woodford, Brentwood , Chelmsford and Wimbledon amongst others. Since then there's been Highfield Road, The Dell, Ninian Park, County Ground Newport, Layer Road, Filbert Street, Gay Meadow and I dont go away much...

Just been totting up 'dead' grounds I have been to, and there are not too many...

Highbury
Highfield Road
Manor Ground
Elm Park
Underhill
Church Road (Hayes)

And from another sport, St Helens RLFC's Knowsley Road. An absolute ********, but a great atmosphere!

Just been totting up 'dead' grounds I have been to, and there are not too many...

Highbury
Highfield Road
Manor Ground
Elm Park
Underhill
Church Road (Hayes)

And from another sport, St Helens RLFC's Knowsley Road. An absolute ********, but a great atmosphere!

The Dell, Saltergate, Gay Meadow, the Victoria Ground, Boothferry Park, Millmoor, Belle Vue, Feethams etc etc:sad:

A few "new" grounds didn't last long -The Reynolds Arena at Darlington and the Dr Martins ground at Rushden and Diamonds spring to mind.

The Old Den, Layer Road and Belle Vue were horrible and needed to go.

Mansfield have turned their rat hole into 3/4 of a good ground.

He is spot on about Goodison...it's an amazing experience there, almost like you've gone back in time. I should be heading to Villa Park for the first time later this season, really looking forward to that one.

Layer road, Highbury, baseball ground, the Victoria ground, Leeds Road off the top of my head. I also went to Liverpool to stand on the kop before they seated it...not a Liverpool fan just wanted to be able to say I stood on the old kop....always shuts up armchair pool fans

A few "new" grounds didn't last long -The Reynolds Arena at Darlington and the Dr Martins ground at Rushden and Diamonds spring to mind.

The Darlington (Reynolds) Arena still exists and is used by Darlington Mowden Park Rugby Club.
Nene Park at Rushden still exists but I think it is due to be demolished?
Underhill was being used by London Broncos for training and under 19 games last season but not sure if that is still so?

As far as football grounds that no longer exist I have been to:-
The Stadium Southend (Greyhounds and not for football)
Eastville (Bristol Rovers)
Highbury
Highfield Road
Old Show Ground (Scunthorpe)
County Ground (Northampton)
Sealand Road (Chester)
The Dell
Roker Park
The Den
Layer Road
Victoria Ground
Springfield Park (Wigan)
Burnden Park
Leeds Road
Ayresome Park
McCain Stadium (Scarborough)
Goldstone Ground
Maine Road
Belle Vue (Doncaster)
Gay Meadow
Saltergate
Elm Park
Manor Ground
Filbert Street
Ninian Park
Vetch Field
Baseball Ground
The Hockey Stadium thing
Fellows Park
Watling Street (Dartford)
Recreation Ground (Grays)
New Writtle Street (Chelmsford)
Church Road (Hayes)
Claremont Road (Hendon)

Probably a few more that I can't remember.
So add to that list soon Boleyn Ground & maybe Nene Park & Underhill
Grounds I'm not sure about Millmoor & Withdean I think they both still exist but not used.

Also some grounds have changed totally since my first visits and I mean all four sides/stands have changed - Dean Court, Wembley, Meadow Lane, Gresty Road, Priestfield Stadium. Quite a few clubs have changed 3 stands since I have been going.

I know there are some of our fans out there that have been to quite a few more demolished/closed grounds than that lot above.

He is spot on about Goodison...it's an amazing experience there, almost like you've gone back in time. I should be heading to Villa Park for the first time later this season, really looking forward to that one.

Why don't you wait until Southend play there next season.

Went there once to see a Southend legend lift a trophy....spot of rep for the first person to correctly name the game to which I am referring.

I may have to whisper this quietly on a Southend site, but I'm tempted to go to the Boleyn Ground one last time.

me too, just for a piece of football history. i was hoping we'd get them in the FA cup so hoping they are at home in the 3rd round coz the league games are really expensive

I went to West Ham yesterday, after a couple of season ticket holders couldn't go. First premiership game for about 6 or seven years. We met up with some other friends and went to the BlackLion mentioned in the article.

In the days of Friday night (cheaper) football I often used to go to a London game If I wasn't playing on a Saturday, mostly West Ham. So for me it was a trip down memory lane.

Have to say like all modern fans there was plenty of loud groans if the ball was played back to the keeper or a pass didn't quite come off. I guess if they want the perfect player they have no choice but to move stadiums and already they have priced their season tickets to low for what they expect.

The football team I used to play for in the mid-70's (in the Forest and District league)used to use the Black Lion every Sunday night after games.Made some Monday mornings a bit problematic (especially as I had a co-ordination meeting at Harrow Probation Office,first thing on Mondays).Nice boozer.

The football team I used to play for in the mid-70's (in the Forest and District league)used to use the Black Lion every Sunday night after games.Made some Monday mornings a bit problematic (especially as I had a co-ordination meeting at Harrow Probation Office,first thing on Mondays).Nice boozer.

:off topic:
I have no idea what your criminal past (if indeed it is just limited to your past) has to do with the topic. I hope you passed probation before fleeing to Spain.

One thing I'm gutted about being my age is that i missed out on so many old school grounds. :thumbdown:

One thing I'm gutted about being my age is that i missed out on so many old school grounds. :thumbdown:

Me too. Although I did get to play at Bournes Green, Thorpedene, Hinguar, Greenways etc, and that was before secondary school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back