• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The dreaded blue screen of death

About a week ago, my beloved laptop choked on its porridge when I tried to shut the thing down. Using the usual Start-Shut Down method didn't work so I eventually resorted to the power off button.

For that sin, it rewarded me with the following and now won't launch windows even in safe mode.

Picture002.jpg

Any thoughts chaps?

Looks similar to mine, fried hard-drive I reckon!
You might still be able to get data off it if you attach it to a working PC and cradle and then skim the data off like a storage device!

Taken from a techy site.

Computer hardware wears out over time, it’s a fact. Your hard drive works constantly reading and writing data, and this (among other factors) may cause errors on certain parts of your system.

If you receive the “unmountable boot volume” error and have an installation disk, you still have a chance to save your system.

1. Insert your XP installation disk into an optical drive and boot up your computer.

2. When you see a welcome screen, hit the R key on your keyboard. This will enter you into recovery mode with a DOS prompt.

3. Now type chkdsk /p and hit Enter. This will launch a utility which will check for errors on your hard drive.

4. After the process is done, type fixboot and hit Enter to repair any damaged boot files which may have become corrupted. When asked to say yes or no, type the Y key on your keyboard.

5. Type exit and press the Enter key to reboot your computer.
If all went well, you should now be able to boot back into Windows without a problem!

Have you checked all the online solutions G? there are loads of hints as to what might be wrong.This is just one site of many.

http://www.acronis.com/resource/tips-tricks/2004/blue-screen.html

Hmmm... only confirms my fear of hardware failure.

Looks similar to mine, fried hard-drive I reckon!
You might still be able to get data off it if you attach it to a working PC and cradle and then skim the data off like a storage device!

As does this.

I have another laptop (which I'm using now). How do you do the cradle thing?

Taken from a techy site.

Computer hardware wears out over time, it’s a fact. Your hard drive works constantly reading and writing data, and this (among other factors) may cause errors on certain parts of your system.

If you receive the “unmountable boot volume” error and have an installation disk, you still have a chance to save your system.

1. Insert your XP installation disk into an optical drive and boot up your computer.

2. When you see a welcome screen, hit the R key on your keyboard. This will enter you into recovery mode with a DOS prompt.

3. Now type chkdsk /p and hit Enter. This will launch a utility which will check for errors on your hard drive.

4. After the process is done, type fixboot and hit Enter to repair any damaged boot files which may have become corrupted. When asked to say yes or no, type the Y key on your keyboard.

If all went well, you should now be able to boot back into Windows without a problem!

Right, sounds good. I'll let you know in about 3 days when I've managed to find that damn disk! If that doesn't work, I'm off to Cradles'R'us

I have another laptop (which I'm using now). How do you do the cradle thing?

Not sure exactly, DWB told me about this method after the IT guys at my work said it was totally dead. My parents desktop PC also recently had a major hard-drive failiure but they spent £100+ on data recovery apparently!

Last night I was so casually butt-raped by a Virus, I never saw the thing coming and it's destroyed my laptop.

It came on, and Avast spammed my screen with virus alerts to the extent that I turned the thing off. When I turned it back on again, half the programmes won't boot, there is no sound whatsoever and my wireless connection doesn't work (Well, it kind of does work... It's telling me there's no wireless connections in the area, when there are about 20). So that was awesome.

I tried to go through the System Restore route, but the ******* thing wouldn't even let me do that.

I rang up my PC Performance/Care plan, and they told me to back everything up that I wanted to keep and call back later, so they could talk me through resetting it to the factory default settings.

Knowing what some of these people can be like (Idiots)... Is this likely to work? I have a feeling that the virus may have just destroyed/deleted the drivers for the sound components and wireless modem.

About a week ago, my beloved laptop choked on its porridge when I tried to shut the thing down. Using the usual Start-Shut Down method didn't work so I eventually resorted to the power off button.

For that sin, it rewarded me with the following and now won't launch windows even in safe mode.

Picture002.jpg

Any thoughts chaps?

Take the HDD out, load into another PC as a secondary device and run a chkdsk on your HDD. once run, load back into your PC and boot up. If it powers up all good, if not you can at least load the HDD back into another PC as a secondary device and copy off all your documnets, photos etc.

If it does load up, may be a good idea to clone it if you can, then if it fails again/ permanantly you have a clone back up ready to go in.

Taken from a techy site.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE!!

However...

Bowing.jpg

Smiffy, your advice there worked like a charm.
I cannot thank you enough sir.

My laptop is running and all the data seems safe.

Really thought I'd lost it all - now where's that back-up drive!?

Hank

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE!!

However...

Bowing.jpg

Smiffy, your advice there worked like a charm.
I cannot thank you enough sir.

My laptop is running and all the data seems safe.

Really thought I'd lost it all - now where's that back-up drive!?

Hank

My way was if you didnt have your windows disc

Taken from a techy site.

I don't suppose anyone knows if the above will work with a Kernel Stack error ? My laptop got this Blue Screen on Sunday, it's been loading very intermittently since, but finally seems to have died a death. It loads the Windows XP page, but once the blue bar stops scrolling, it just sends me to a black screen saying I have a non-disk error.

Anyone any ideas ???

Last edited:
I don't suppose anyone knows if the above will work with a Kernel Stack error ? My laptop got this Blue Screen on Sunday, it's been loading very intermittently since, but finally seems to have died a death. It loads the Windows XP page, but once the blue bar stops scrolling, it just sends me to a black screen saying I have a non-disk error.

Anyone any ideas ???

Have a look here. I hope your anti-virus protection is upto date!

http://www.instant-registry-fixes.org/fix-stop-0x00000077-or-kernel_stack_inpage_error/

Back