• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The dream is not over.

There is still hope, although things are bleak. I'm sure this will go down to the last game of the season. If we do go down it will not be the end of the world. We've been there before, and if anything the club then has to be run with a tinge of reality. Things were in dire straights at the bottom of the Fouth Division until Tilly took over and pushed us upwards, and it can be done again.
The crowds would drop to about 4.000 true fans. However, because there will be so much room for improvement things can look positive again quickly.

The thing Tilly did was get us playing football again instead of "kick and run" under previous managers. It would also make us work hard to dig up rough diamonds like Freddy.

As a life long fan of over 40 years, I don't need convincing that Tilly has been one of the best Managers we've ever had and I hope he stays.

Spot on.

Hooper had chance after chance and to be fair he just didn't click down here.

Hooper started 12 League matches in 2 seasons for us and did he not play as a winger in most of those matches I can't remember? I wouldn't call that chance after chance. Anyway I agree with the rest of your post.

There is only so far that this argument can go. Unfortunately, as much as we'd like it to be different, most of the players in the squad do not have the sort of emotional attachment to our club that we as supporters do. This is a job for them. They have mortgages to pay and families to feed, just like every normal person does, and it's completely understandable that their passion to play for the club has been undermined if their wages are not being paid.

I know that, as an employee, I'd feel hugely let down and undervalued/at the bottom of the priority list if I were in their positions. The first rule of any football club, rugby club, Formula 1 team, paperclip-making factory, or whatever else, should always be to look after the employees/players first. Everything else should come second. If it's anything different, then you're risking the morale of the whole team/entity and, as a result, its performance. That's a little thing called business mismanagement.

How correct is this post!

The first thing I was taught by my father in business... "NEVER mess with peoples wages!"

Oh and lets not forget that all the other staff have not been paid either, they don't get paid by the players union.

Last edited:
When we drew with Exeter I said we was down and I am sticking with that, I did also say we would not win another game this season, we got one against wallsal but still thought we would go down, the lads just seem to want to throw every chance away, especially after the bristol game.

There is 4 winnable games, but I can't see us getting them all. Sorry for my negativeness.

OK I've stayed away from posting on the board for a record 5 months I think. Sadly in a couple of weeks time I'm thinking this could be a ShrimperZone "A Memorial To Southend United Football Club" board. I can't believe the enormous amount of people that seem to have blind faith that Ron will pull a rabbit out of the hat in a couple of weeks time. This club is ****ED. Even Anton Johnson failed to achieve that. We can barely afford to switch the lights on. Any player of any worth has gone and from the day we gave Adam Barrett a four year contract life as all been downhill.

Apart from Francis and Grant (and Baldwin) I can't see anyone of any quality left in this club especially Johnny Nerd. Got a long throw ? Great. Got anyone with the braincells to make use of it ?

Tilly if you had any brain cells left you'd walk away while you still retain some dignity with the full thanks and admiration for what you have achieved over the years.

As for Ron Martin. I can't even begin to put into words what his spectacular failed gamble means for my life.

Gower/Maher - Christophe/Laurent -somewhat different in class. I remember people laughing at Bramble. If he was here now he'd be our best forward. That's how bad life has become.

Last edited:
Back