• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The drugs debate once more....

Legalise the lot. Drug crime and drug barons disappear overnight.
The country save millions by not having so many drug investigators, the old bill who work for the drug squad can do things like arrest violent criminals.

No brainer for me.

Totally agree Steveo, also not only will we save money, we'll make it, think of the TAX!!! Also if drugs are legalaised, quality and the way in which people use them can be better controlled for people's safety.

It seems bonkers to me to have a panel of scientists advising you on drugs and then sack them because their scientifically proven results disagree with you.

Legalise the lot. Drug crime and drug barons disappear overnight.
The country save millions by not having so many drug investigators, the old bill who work for the drug squad can do things like arrest violent criminals.

No brainer for me.

which I'd expect would fall because of the drop in the drugs trade!

Don't legalise drugs - people like me who had addictive personality's would just end up killing themselves.

There have been times where I have been so far off my face that I wanted more to the point I would have killed myself BUT the only thing that stopped things going that far is the hassle of getting more and the fact there is not a 24/7 Tescos up the road ready to supply me. Believe what you like but until you have been on the dark side of drug abuse you can't really say what is for the best.

Totally agree Steveo, also not only will we save money, we'll make it, think of the TAX!!! Also if drugs are legalaised, quality and the way in which people use them can be better controlled for people's safety.

It seems bonkers to me to have a panel of scientists advising you on drugs and then sack them because their scientifically proven results disagree with you.

I think this was the final straw for Nutt. He has always been outspoken, often against the wishes of the ACMD... however, we need outspoken scientists who aren't afraid to take a risk to make sure that evidence-based policy is carried out by the govt.

I bet Nutt finally thought that there was no point in being in the ACMD because their advice is constantly ignored by the govt, so I doubt he really cares that much by being sacked. He's almost become a martyr, and has opened up a big can of worms which probably would have just simmered away if he was still the chair of the ACMD and doing lectures.

Don't legalise drugs - people like me who had addictive personality's would just end up killing themselves.

There have been times where I have been so far off my face that I wanted more to the point I would have killed myself BUT the only thing that stopped things going that far is the hassle of getting more and the fact there is not a 24/7 Tescos up the road ready to supply me. Believe what you like but until you have been on the dark side of drug abuse you can't really say what is for the best.

Making it illegal doesn't stop people taking it though. Yes drugs can ruin lives, but so can alcohol and cigarettes - but they're legal and taxed.

Prohibition simply doesn't work and successive governments can't and won't see that.

i don't think making them legal would remove all of the hassle of getting them. It would also guarantee you were known to health and social services and were able to access help very quickly

Start off with a couple of skunk J's and a can of Kestrel Super. Follow this with a couple of lines of decent chas, swiftly followed by two more cans.
Then, another couple of J's, finish off your chas, then bosh a gram of strong whizz which should let you carry on drinking through the night.

That is the only drugs advice you'll ever need.

Hope this helps.

Making it illegal doesn't stop people taking it though. Yes drugs can ruin lives, but so can alcohol and cigarettes - but they're legal and taxed.

Prohibition simply doesn't work and successive governments can't and won't see that.

Been many times I could have taken drugs in different places but due to police pressure I never did on many occasions and for that I am thankful

Drugs are bad, m'okay? Even cannabis, which gets a fairly positive press these days, is a horrible, messy drug. I've seen lots of creative, driven people brought to their knees by spliffs, reduced to gibbering, red-eyed, hard-snacking morons. Some of the people I was at college with should have been huge successes, but they're still sat in their home towns babbling about Star Wars.

I've tried every major drug in existence in one format or another. I've had a lot of good times, but I've also had several terrfiying moments that I'd never want to relive.

This must be one of the first times I've ever found myself in whole-hearted agreement with Scott, but to legalise them would be a disaster. For every mature, level-headed person who can 'handle them', there are scores of people who can't. They're dangerous, they have unknown, far-reaching side effects and, short of providing a few giggles, it's very hard to find a positive side to them.

Would you really want to make even more available?

Drugs are bad, m'okay? Even cannabis, which gets a fairly positive press these days, is a horrible, messy drug. I've seen lots of creative, driven people brought to their knees by spliffs, reduced to gibbering, red-eyed, hard-snacking morons. Some of the people I was at college with should have been huge successes, but they're still sat in their home towns babbling about Star Wars.

I've tried every major drug in existence in one format or another. I've had a lot of good times, but I've also had several terrfiying moments that I'd never want to relive.

This must be one of the first times I've ever found myself in whole-hearted agreement with Scott, but to legalise them would be a disaster. For every mature, level-headed person who can 'handle them', there are scores of people who can't. They're dangerous, they have unknown, far-reaching side effects and, short of providing a few giggles, it's very hard to find a positive side to them.

Some really good friends of mine too went the same way as you describe slipp

I wonder how many conversations on this subject took place over the weekend whilst the participants supped on a pint of the nation's drug of choice.

I was going to substitute "alcohol" into your post, just to make a slightly facetious point. I agree that drugs can be bad, and many of us I'm sure can give plenty of evidence to support that. I think the issue is that there needs to be a sensible understanding of the risks associated with different drugs, including current legal ones like alcohol and tobacco.

Whilst there is still confusion and mixed messages over these risks, people aren't able to make informed decisions. For many people, having ecstasy as Class A is completely mental, all the evidence points to very low risks of taking ecstasy... and these risks are dominated by two things:
1. drinking appropriate levels of water
2. thinking you're taking an e when actually it's something else

Also many scientists, including Nutt, argue (with evidence supporting this) that legalisation would not see an increase in usage.

It would probably involve more effort for me to walk down to a chemists to get my legal E, than to phone a number on my phone and have someone come around in 30 mins.

I was going to substitute "alcohol" into your post, just to make a slightly facetious point. I agree that drugs can be bad, and many of us I'm sure can give plenty of evidence to support that. I think the issue is that there needs to be a sensible understanding of the risks associated with different drugs, including current legal ones like alcohol and tobacco.

Whilst there is still confusion and mixed messages over these risks, people aren't able to make informed decisions. For many people, having ecstasy as Class A is completely mental, all the evidence points to very low risks of taking ecstasy... and these risks are dominated by two things:
1. drinking appropriate levels of water
2. thinking you're taking an e when actually it's something else

Also many scientists, including Nutt, argue (with evidence supporting this) that legalisation would not see an increase in usage.

It would probably involve more effort for me to walk down to a chemists to get my legal E, than to phone a number on my phone and have someone come around in 30 mins.

Do you take drugs?

That makes you a criminal. Do you think you should be a criminal and locked up for being a gibbering, red-eyed, hard-snacking moron?

No-one is arguing that drugs are a good thing. Educate people and let them take personal responsibility. If someone wants to kill them self, as long as it isn't harming anyone else, what right has the state to interfere?

I'd like to see poppers sold in massive bottles with AMYL written down the side in large letters so that people know you haven't been doing something unsavoury when you walk out of Harmony II.

Well we did get Gonzo journalism from it.

On a serious point SLipp , you've just described life , you get experiences in your life that will destroy you if that's your breaking point . In my case im really being sent for counselling for moderate to server depression. Due mostly to events of the last year but a few under lying issues maybe ;)

However what will help balance this is knowledge and as with the drugs situation this will also help . I'm sure your aware of the work Tim Leary and Robert Anton Wilson did in the sixties and why Leary became one of the most hunted men on earth. The scariest drugs there are are hallucinogens because your perception and facility to see the world around you is changed. The world does not change you do. And if you have people understanding themslfs and not being a social norm , that's a very dangerous concept for a society (and hence why any successive goverment wont change this aside from economic value) to be in.

Back