• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The drugs debate once more....

MK Shrimper

Striker
So the UK's drug advisor says something the government doesn't want to hear and he gets sacked.

What's the point of advising if the cretins in charge don't listen to the evidence and just pander to middle England?

There's no grown up thinking when it comes to drugs in this country.

I'll post 10,000 words on this on Monday. But it's absolutely mental. Nutt was probably too outspoken for his own good, but it had to be said.

Legalise all drugs. Let them take what they want. Price of drugs comes down. Drug crime disappears millions of pounds trying to catch drug smugglers is saved.

So the UK's drug advisor says something the government doesn't want to hear and he gets sacked.

What's the point of advising if the cretins in charge don't listen to the evidence and just pander to middle England?

There's no grown up thinking when it comes to drugs in this country.

Not just drugs though Paul is it? If you have the audacity to voice an opinion on something which doesn't conform to the Government's thinking then you're susceptible to a "move" of some kind. It's why I get so cross with all the nanny state stuff.

If people were made to stand on their own two feet and take the odd risk, if there wasn't the ridiculous compensation and benefit culture and people had to work, doing anything almost to earn cash then things wouldn't be anywhere near as bad.

Drugs are endemic, my friend's boy has just got caught with some, he's 16, thinks he knows it all. There IS no deterrent so legalise at the lowest level.

Not just drugs though Paul is it? If you have the audacity to voice an opinion on something which doesn't conform to the Government's thinking then you're susceptible to a "move" of some kind. It's why I get so cross with all the nanny state stuff.

If people were made to stand on their own two feet and take the odd risk, if there wasn't the ridiculous compensation and benefit culture and people had to work, doing anything almost to earn cash then things wouldn't be anywhere near as bad.

Drugs are endemic, my friend's boy has just got caught with some, he's 16, thinks he knows it all. There IS no deterrent so legalise at the lowest level.

Indeed, which is exactly what happened to Elizabeth Filkin, she was appointed some years ago to look into the area of MP's expenses and Public Standards. The government in particular, and MP's in general refused to cooperate with her, and eventually she was pushed out. Which only delayed the expenses scandal of this past summer.

To play devils advocate, drugs are a grey area in many ways. I'd suggest that alcohol probably destroys more lives yet it's legal.

Legalise all drugs. Let them take what they want. Price of drugs comes down. Drug crime disappears millions of pounds trying to catch drug smugglers is saved.

Here is a first.

I totally and utterly agree with you.

I'd go further though. Users should register as users and be able to get them on prescription from the local chemists. Eradicates dirty drugs, overdoses and wipes a large section of criminal activity away in one foul swoop.

Here is a first.

I totally and utterly agree with you.

I'd go further though. Users should register as users and be able to get them on prescription from the local chemists. Eradicates dirty drugs, overdoses and wipes a large section of criminal activity away in one foul swoop.

But make them do something to "earn" them - that is the problem in this country, people think they are owed something when they've contributed nothing. People have little respect for each other, and people are so bogged down with legalities and paperwork that they don't have time to do the actual things they need to hence the gross mismanagement of numerous cases of abuse reported - of all kinds.

Fortunately the nhs is still based on an ideal of 'what you need' instead of 'what you can offer'.

Fortunately the nhs is still based on an ideal of 'what you need' instead of 'what you can offer'.

No problem with need, don't forget this is something I have pretty close experience of, but you still have to be encouraged to have purpose.

I think this is a different argument to what Nutt is trying to focus on. The huge majority of drug users are like you or I, work Monday to Friday then do some coke, weed and pills at the weekend. It's no big deal, and thr vast body of research suggests it's probablynless dangerous than drinking to excess, and has less long term issues compared to alcohol and tobacco. Heroin and crack are on a differnt level, and Nutt isn't focussing on that. However again, if they weren't criminalised then it might be easier for them to get proper support, contribute to the economy and and benefit society... Rather than move in and out of prison and hospital.

I'll make a proper post on this on Monday cos it's close to home for me too

But make them do something to "earn" them - that is the problem in this country, people think they are owed something when they've contributed nothing. People have little respect for each other, and people are so bogged down with legalities and paperwork that they don't have time to do the actual things they need to hence the gross mismanagement of numerous cases of abuse reported - of all kinds.

Agree with everything else , except they they think their are own it. Its not they believe they get a free ride , its all the trapings of sold to them and if you don't have them your a faliure in society. Yes respect is down because they arnt encouraged to know or respect themselves (why criminal gangs do so well peers developing in a like minded environment ).

Life is difficult enough but you get society on top of it whoosh !

Osy, back to the subject, is it drugs that cause 99% of your posts?

I think this is a different argument to what Nutt is trying to focus on. The huge majority of drug users are like you or I, work Monday to Friday then do some coke, weed and pills at the weekend. It's no big deal, and thr vast body of research suggests it's probablynless dangerous than drinking to excess, and has less long term issues compared to alcohol and tobacco. Heroin and crack are on a differnt level, and Nutt isn't focussing on that. However again, if they weren't criminalised then it might be easier for them to get proper support, contribute to the economy and and benefit society... Rather than move in and out of prison and hospital.

I'll make a proper post on this on Monday cos it's close to home for me too

Tend to agree with most of this.I used to smoke weed a bit back in the early 70's in my student days.I KNOW that wasn't addictive since I've only occasionally used it since.Isn't the problem with Skunk though that it's much stronger than the sort of cannabis which used to be on the market back in the 70's?

Osy, back to the subject, is it drugs that cause 99% of your posts?

Ive already refused drugs im just having counselling now thank you (its more funny because its true :S).

On the legalised drugs part , its an imposed moral and economic choice and when the science shows that this rationally is in the case of cannabis for instance ridiculous , its been ignored . The Tories would have done teh same thing.

Ive already refused drugs im just having counselling now thank you (its more funny because its true :S).

On the legalised drugs part , its an imposed moral and economic choice and when the science shows that this rationally is in the case of cannabis for instance ridiculous , its been ignored . The Tories would have done teh same thing.

No political party will ever have the balls to tackle the drug issue in this country as it's an instant vote loser.

No political party will ever have the balls to tackle the drug issue in this country as it's an instant vote loser.

Yeah because preceding insititutions since it was criminalised in the 1960's say so . Not because of the medical evidence neccisarly just becuase well they said it was wrong.

BEfore teh random drug tests in A&E's i knew a good many medical staff who would of a weekend enjoy the odd stuff. But they had th knowledge to deal with it , and if it was legalised and controlled (as it was in the 1920's and 30's in this country ) it would help smash a lot of money going cartels and one or two dubious organisations, and be controlled. Rmember no one forces you to do anything legal .

Legalise the lot. Drug crime and drug barons disappear overnight.
The country save millions by not having so many drug investigators, the old bill who work for the drug squad can do things like arrest violent criminals.

No brainer for me.

Sorry people i didnt realise i had already posted on this thread. Obviously taken too many drugs.

Back