• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Am reading the recently published book '56', the story of the Bradford fire. A truely horrific event and re-watching the news reels on it on Youtube is a heart-rending experience.

That old Bradford stand was a relic from the past and was hosting its last match that day in 1985. Now, I am sure our own wooden East Stand has been through every modern safety check going and is readily tested, and the access ways (although they could be better) are much easier to navigate than that old stand at Valley Parade, but the Bradford disaster just makes me think a bit about how vunerable it actually is. With 'Fantasy Fossets' pending I suspect we are not improving it.

I will be in the East Stand on Saturday and do not fear there being 'another Bradford', but just wonder what others think?

Of the East Stand? defo a fire hazard that is being "just" about serviced to keep it allowed for use.
The bars, food and loos are equally poor and dated.
I am pleased the smoking ban is in place.

As for Bradford, terrible, so fast and so hot in the burning - very very hard to watch and not be shocked by the film.

Am reading the recently published book '56', the story of the Bradford fire. A truely horrific event and re-watching the news reels on it on Youtube is a heart-rending experience.

That old Bradford stand was a relic from the past and was hosting its last match that day in 1985. Now, I am sure our own wooden East Stand has been through every modern safety check going and is readily tested, and the access ways (although they could be better) are much easier to navigate than that old stand at Valley Parade, but the Bradford disaster just makes me think a bit about how vunerable it actually is. With 'Fantasy Fossets' pending I suspect we are not improving it.

I will be in the East Stand on Saturday and do not fear there being 'another Bradford', but just wonder what others think?

Much easier to get on the pitch from our East Stand than Bradford old stand which by the looks of it had no exits onto the pitch. Plus the exits out the back of the East Stand are not chained up during the match.

With there being so much wood in the East Stand structure, I would have though that the Fire Brigade would be all over it like a rash to check for safety. I'm guessing that a safety cert would only be given when they were very satisfied. Any firemen out there to confirm??

I have often thought about how the club gets a safety certificate for the East Stand given the wooden seats and asbestos roof.
With regard to the Bradford disaster there is a minutes silence before all matches on Saturday as it is now 30 years since the tragedy.

I have often thought about how the club gets a safety certificate for the East Stand given the wooden seats and asbestos roof.
With regard to the Bradford disaster there is a minutes silence before all matches on Saturday as it is now 30 years since the tragedy.

Older parts of the North and West roof's are asbestos. Its ok as long as its not broken up.
I'm pretty sure the East Stand and whole ground is inspected on a regular basis.

This has been discussed quite recently on another thread where we talked about how much smoking went on in the stands back in the day.

Every time I am in the corridors at the back of the East stand (only go in there for JPT games) I shudder to think how long it would take you to get out of there if the whole thing went up, and being wooden it could go pretty quickly...

Every time I am in the corridors at the back of the East stand (only go in there for JPT games) I shudder to think how long it would take you to get out of there if the whole thing went up, and being wooden it could go pretty quickly...
I think the East Stand would evacuate pretty easily to be honest because you have entrances front and back, it certainly empties loads quicker than the West at the end of games!

When I worked at the refinery, we had regular safety presentations from assorted safety companies.
One major factor in the fire was that nobody called 999! No mobile 'phones in those days; the brigade only knew when an off-duty fireman saw the drama on TV (live) and rang the station to advise them they'd need back up. The answer - "For what?" as they genuinely didn't know about any fire.

So, while I'm not saying it cannot happen (never say 'never'), if it did, the impact on fans would be far, far less. Easy access to the pitch and lack of locked doors, as previously mentioned.

I think the East Stand would evacuate pretty easily to be honest because you have entrances front and back, it certainly empties loads quicker than the West at the end of games!

OBL never understimate the fear of panic.

My oldman is 88 years amd finds it hard to go up and down the stairs, with the panic that would happen,it would be a nightmare. Do you think stewards would be the last to leave in a fire, they are human and would flee for safety, and who would blame them

Thankfully smoking has stopped a potential hazard, but the tea bar and perhaps a faulty piece of equipment now thats a different story and god/allah etc only knows what the potential fatalities would be

Another reason why a new stadium is a must, interesting to read about Windsor Park and their stand that needs to be pulled down, if we didnot go up this year and for some reason the stand was declared not fit to be used, can you imagine the nightmare financially it would cause us.

With there being so much wood in the East Stand structure, I would have though that the Fire Brigade would be all over it like a rash to check for safety. I'm guessing that a safety cert would only be given when they were very satisfied. Any firemen out there to confirm??
Hillsborough had a safety certificate:'(:'(

...even when supporters stay on a few minutes to applaud the layers.

Nice positive post to kick off the weekend:stunned:

Indeed, but that covered the stadium/stand - but not the actions of people.
No, safety standards have people's actions and reactions at the heart of the planning. So if people do anything no matter what, safety planning has to cater for it, simples.

The East Stand is quite wooden, although we do sometimes try and join in with the singing :blush:

...and therein lies the problem at Hillsborough. "Let's grant a certificate assuming exit doors are opened before the match starts; at Heysel assuming someone has a pistol. Nothing is totally 100% safe, there is hazard associated with everything we do.

Safety certificates are issued using the ALARP risk assessment - As Low As Reasonably Practical e.g. the national speed limit could be 5 mph - but how practical would that be?

...and therein lies the problem at Hillsborough. "Let's grant a certificate assuming exit doors are opened before the match starts; at Heysel assuming someone has a pistol. Nothing is totally 100% safe, there is hazard associated with everything we do.

Safety certificates are issued using the ALARP risk assessment - As Low As Reasonably Practical e.g. the national speed limit could be 5 mph - but how practical would that be?
It is assumptions that cause problems, anyway all entitled to opinions, just thought it was a negative gloomy post and I still do. Enough said.

Back