• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The end of BBC6 Music?

MK Shrimper

Striker
Seems as though the Beeb are cutting one of the most eclectic and diverse radio stations to ever grace the airwaves. When it first started it was superb, with no playlist, DJ's like Gideon Coe and Phil Jupitus allowed to play whatever the hell they liked, such as brilliant idea and huge relief after the computerised playlists of Radio's 1,2 and the godawful independant radio stations across the country such as the loathsome Capital FM.

For me, it definitely became XFM-lite when they went for personality DJ's over music credibility and employed tone deaf tossrags like George Lamb, but it still has quality DJ's such as Adam & Joe.

I think it's a terrible shame that the BBC can pump out teenage rubbish on BBC3, pay overblown presenters like Ross, Norton and Moyles millions, but not find a few quid from the licence fee for what was a truly groundbreaking radio station.

For people working in the industry the rumours have been going around for some time. Their Asian Network service is also at risk, although reports of the demise of BBC7 appear to be premature (it's likely to be renamed - or 'rebranded' as it seems to be called nowadays - as Radio 4 Extra)..

690,000 listeners the last quarterly ratings showed. Whilst it's minuscule in comparison to the more mainstream BBC and commercial stations, I always thought part of our licence fee goes towards minority tastes, so that there's something for everyone.

It's not the only station to apparently be for the chop but it would certainly be the most missed.

I think Digitial radio just wasnt as big a draw as people though . Though and sorry MK id rather lose Radio 6 then Radio 7 (just more comedy please , theres only so much Baldi you can listen too)

To be fair, after a lot of being bored with Radio I fell in love with BBC Essex, ok, during the day they play a lot of easy listening stuff (suppose that's the demographic) BUT they've got a lot of freedom, practically every genre is catered for outside the "popular" culture of the UK, a great support for local music (I hate local bands in the main as they're all generic and god awful), Eric Hall jabbering on about how great it is to be Jewish whilst hitting on his female guests, that bloke at night who basically plays the Best of Motown volumes 1-250, brilliant phone ins from mentals who have nothing better to do with their days than throw their thoughts in on any subject (could be talking about SZ here) so what loss is 6 Music?

Besides that, I'm sure people could these days go on Spotify and search for "Muso's dream playlist" and get practically everything BBC 6 catered for.

Done.

I think Digitial radio just wasnt as big a draw as people though . Though and sorry MK id rather lose Radio 6 then Radio 7 (just more comedy please , theres only so much Baldi you can listen too)

But doesn't BBC7 just repeat old comedy shows off other channels?

Last edited:
Truly cannot stand George Lamb, I always wondered how he managed to stay employed until I found out the other night he's the son of Larry Lamb (aka Mick Shipman/Archie Mitchell)

It is an absolute travesty. Mark Thompson is axing a truly unique service and pandering to the Daily Mail/Tory Party/Murdochs.

Anyone want to buy a digital radio?

There is no commercial radio station that puts out anything like 6 Music. Isn't the point of the BBC to fill that gap?

Indeed. Every other music channel is catered for elsewhere, from the chart pap of Radio 1/2 to dance/R&B/rap of 1Xtra, even Radio 3 has Classic FM.

However what annoys me is the absolute dross that is pumped out on BBC3 (Heroes excluded!).

Shame we can't get the 'old' XFM back. That's just a pale imitation now of what it was originally set up to be. Triple J over here is not bad if you get stuck, have a listen online. However it's too obsessed with new music to the detriment of anything else. They take the view that "it's new so it must be good". Now I love discovering new music but want overall to hear good music...new or old. That's what 6 Music provides me (usually Lauren's show in the evening online).

awful news.

My breakfast listening, my late-night listening and my podcast collection have been annihilated. ****

Blame the millions of plebs that listen to and 'enjoy' Chris Moyles every morning.

There might be repercussions for the everyday football fan as well.

One of the other proposals is that BBC local radio be 'networked' at off-peak hours. Not only will that mean little or no local identity outside of the rush hour, which is disappointing enough.

It could also mean, too, that on a football night everyone in the East of England might get Norwich match commentary when Southend United and Col Ewe might also be playing at the same time.

A dreadful day for radio.

Back