• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Apparently, Sunday night is going to be his last big game before he hangs up his sheepskin. Am I alone in being delighted?

Right up until 2002, he was absolutely superb. Knowledgable, consistent and informative. Then, and I believe it was the early kickoff against Nigeria, he went absolutely mental. He started referencing all the components of a full english breakfast throughout the match, as if he was ticking them off a list.

"And I know your sausages might be sizzling right now, but this game certainly isn't."

Disturbing, though not as disturbing as meeting him in person, which never fails to send shivers down my spine. He is not entirely normal, that bloke.

Ever since that morning in Osaka, he's been contrived and cheesy, forcing out Motty-isms as if he suddenly became aware of his cultish status. His knowledge has gone down the pan, he doesnt seem entirely sure who anyone is and he attempts 'banter' with that odious **** 'Lawro' that is so hideous that it makes me want to hack off my ears with a blunt knife.

He should have gone a long, long time ago before he tarnished his own legacy. I just wish he could take 'Lawro' with him.

Oh Christ, he's even worse on the radio. Why doesn't he just stop altogether? It's silly now, way beyond a joke.

I had this discussion down the pub just now when someone asked me why Sports Journalism is such a competitive business, and wondered what people thought of this... Name me 3 lead Pundits, not commentators, who aren't ex professionals?

Motson had his time... but who will replace him? an ex-pro with no charisma or base intelligence whatsoever. I don't think it's coincedence that one of the most sought after and respected presenters, Jeff Stelling, has no history in the game apart from being a life long fan.

now stan the man is into this how about having him as the new motty.

i swear he said he was retiring after 2006 WC...but he's still here! Personally i think Alan Green should take over, by far the best commentator out there

dammit slipper, i was about to post the same thing. he is the only bloke I've heard who can pronounce david villa 10 different ways, can't wait to be able to watch the big games without motty and lawro droning on about how dull it is

No-one, I mean, you know....no-one actually likes Alan Green....do they? I always thought that, like wasps at picnics and the Welsh, he was just something that you had to tolerate.

No-one, I mean, you know....no-one actually likes Alan Green....do they? I always thought that, like wasps at picnics and the Welsh, he was just something that you had to tolerate.

I used to bang the live match on the telly with the sound down and put Radio 5 on for the commentary, but Arrogant Alan put a stop to that. He is an awful, opinionated, prat and I would rather he retired than Motty, to be honest.

The BBC have taken the most offensively arrogant pub bore in existence and beamed him into our homes, perhaps as some form of punishment for not paying the licence fee quick enough. Just the sound of his voice, bellowing about how his tea is cold, or how it's too windy, or how all foreigners are divers, is enough to send the vomit rising up in my throat.

Fair enough, if you're writing an opinion column then it's your right, indeed it's your job, to be as opinionated as possible, but if your job

Last edited:
Good riddance Motty, you odious bore!

Go and burn your sheepskin, reference books & leave our airwaves for good!

I don't see why people hate him so much. He's a national institution. You can't deny that he has a genuine, childlike passion and enthusiasm for the game, which is why he does all that research for all those statistics. Him and Lawro are like a comedy duo sometimes, during the Italy-Spain game Lawro came out with some great quotes. I read in the paper this morning that he does a lot of running and Dean Austin is his personal trainer.

I don't see why people hate him so much. He's a national institution. You can't deny that he has a genuine, childlike passion and enthusiasm for the game, which is why he does all that research for all those statistics. Him and Lawro are like a comedy duo sometimes, during the Italy-Spain game Lawro came out with some great quotes. I read in the paper this morning that he does a lot of running and Dean Austin is his personal trainer.

If Motty and Lawro are a comedy-duo, they are a crap comedy duo who would get booed off stage by any self-respecting audience.

I suppose you probably consider Lineker's attempts at humour to be funny rather than painful.

Why can't we just have an anonymous commentator, who isn't a personality, and a pundit who adds analysis instead of **** jokes?

Back