• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The European Debate Thread

Yawn.

I've already explained that I come over to the UK two/three times a year.I keep up with GB current affairs through regularly reading British newspapers and watching British news channels.Believe or not, I even have GB friends and family.

Btw,the recent expenses scandal in the UK, exposed much more evidence of corruption than anything you see in the EU Parliament.

I honestly believe that YOU THINK, that you understand whats going on.

Towns and Cities across the UK are struggling with the numbers that are coming / already here.

This impacts socially in a massive way, with pressure put on services from schools all the way through to social care.

No one had / has planned for the numbers that are here, and how could they?

Yawn.

I've already explained that I come over to the UK two/three times a year.I keep up with GB current affairs through regularly reading British newspapers and watching British news channels.Believe or not, I even have GB friends and family.

Btw,the recent expenses scandal in the UK, exposed much more evidence of corruption than anything you see in the EU Parliament.

Does that include the 27 years worth of accounts that haven't been signed off? The European Union is more corrupt than FIFA.

I honestly believe that YOU THINK, that you understand whats going on.

Towns and Cities across the UK are struggling with the numbers that are coming / already here.

This impacts socially in a massive way, with pressure put on services from schools all the way through to social care.

No one had / has planned for the numbers that are here, and how could they?

These are all typical UKIP arguments,which you won't be able to make so forcefully after the general election.

These are all typical UKIP arguments,which you won't be able to make so forcefully after the general election.

They are facts not arguments.

Also when you lose the bets we have, can you let Cricko know as he's going to put the money towards a new button for the zone.

Governments of all colours since the Second World War have simply failed to invest in the infrastructure of this Country to the necessary level and that's where the problems come from.

And for that we can blame ourselves. If a government did spend the kind of money it needs to we would vote them out at the next election because they will have spent too much and got us into debt.

The problem with the political system is that it is too short term-ist. We need a more long term approach that will allow such a government more time for that spending to reap its rewards.

However, if a party is in control for that kind of length they then start to become corrupt and even believe themselves to be indispensable in the way the tories were in 1997, hence the look on Portillo's face when he lost.

They are facts not arguments.

They're actually your opinion of the situation rather than facts in themselves.

Also when you lose the bets we have, can you let Cricko know as he's going to put the money towards a new button for the zone.

Ha! I think the only bet I'm actually in danger of losing, is the one with GHG, about Carswell retaining his seat.

Whilst I'm not in total disagreement with your sentiments I do think you're slightly misguided in simply discarding the success of UKIP in May 2014 as a 'protest vote'. Whilst there is absolutely no chance of UKIP doing anywhere near as well as they did in the Euro election in the GE, the EU election was the correct forum for voters to voice their disdain for the perceived influence the EU has over our affairs. The result was telling.

When people talk about immigration, mostly they are not talking about 'people coming over here and stealing our jobs & pinching our benefits' although I accept that some people take this view. The concerns are around the growth in our population and the strain this has placed on the infrastructure of our Country. The time it takes to see a GP, the overcrowded state of our railways, the crumbling road network, the lack of housing etc etc.

Governments of all colours since the Second World War have simply failed to invest in the infrastructure of this Country to the necessary level and that's where the problems come from.

After the second world war the government of the time, that was skint beyond belief built 1.5 million council houses in 10 years for the people. Funny that nowadays when they slush money about like confetti , they have no regard for those that are less fortunate. When Maggie started the rot of selling them off for next to nothing to start a housing boom, there was only one way this way going to end.

The rest of your post is spot on.

And again Barna I say to you that coming over here two or three times a year, reading The Guardian, speaking to friends and watching the news in no way qualifies you to have an opinion on the matters that mean the most to the British public just as me visiting the US three times a year, watching CNN and reading The Washington Post would give me the right to presume to know what it's like to live over there. Then again I wouldn't for one minute be so arrogant as to think I could.

Such as? What infrastructure would you invest in if it were in your power?

You will,no doubt, be hearing a lot about it after the general election.

I'm asking you what you think. I appreciate the Labour party haven't issued a press release on it recently so there is no easy link for you to share, but why not give us the benefit of your wisdom?

You've lived in different EU states and have stated you are in favour of continued EU membership. Why not set out the economical, social and political benefits for us?

And again Barna I say to you that coming over here two or three times a year, reading The Guardian, speaking to friends and watching the news in no way qualifies you to have an opinion on the matters that mean the most to the British public just as me visiting the US three times a year, watching CNN and reading The Washington Post would give me the right to presume to know what it's like to live over there. Then again I wouldn't for one minute be so arrogant as to think I could.

I presume you're not an American citizen though?

I am a British citizen,however.And that is the whole point (whether you like it or not).

In a like manner, although I've lived in Spain for just over 35 years now and most certainly have opinions on the political scene here, (plus can and do vote in local and EU elections), I'm always rather guarded whenever discussing politics with a Spanish/Catalan national.

That's called having respect for other nationalities's opinions.

I'm asking you what you think. I appreciate the Labour party haven't issued a press release on it recently so there is no easy link for you to share, but why not give us the benefit of your wisdom?

You've lived in different EU states and have stated you are in favour of continued EU membership. Why not set out the economical, social and political benefits for us?

I've stated elsewhere my personal reasons for being happy about living in the EU (and even the advantages of living in the Eurozone,athough I'm having some doubts about the latter).

As far as I'm concerned, the European issue was settled in 1975, (when I voted against entry).That was supposed to be a binding,once in a lifetime vote.

I presume you're not an American citizen though?

I am a British citizen,however.And that is the whole point (whether you like it or not).

In a like manner, although I've lived in Spain for just over 35 years now and most certainly have opinions on the political scene here, (plus can and do vote in local and EU elections), I'm always rather guarded whenever discussing politics with a Spanish/Catalan national.

That's called having respect for other nationalities's opinions.

Or avoiding a smack in the mouth when you offend them perhaps.

Such as? What infrastructure would you invest in if it were in your power?

I doubt the size of our small country could ever instigate an infrastructure to make this place work for all. One thing without doubt is the amount of people we have to sustain within this small country is no longer viable. Every corner we see the pressure we are under and without picking on one particular issue (as we all know what they are), something has to change .This road we are all traveling on is a disaster in the making, not only for us but for our children and our children's children.

Back