• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
The following have their contract expiring this summer:
GK: Dan Bentley, Paul Smith
CB: Cian Bolger (option to extend), Luke Prosser
RM: David Worrall, Kevan Hurst
CM: Gary Deegan (option to extend), Franck Moussa
LM: Myles Weston
ST: Jack Payne, Noel Hunt (option to extend), Jason Williams

The following are loanees who will return to their parent clubs:
CB: Piotr Malarczyk
CM: Glen Kamara
LM: Sam McQueen
ST: Tyrone Barnett, Jamar Loza

This will leave us with:
GK: Ted Smith
RB: John White, Luke O'Neill, Jordan Williams
CB: Adam Barrett, Adam Thompson, Dan Matsuzaka
LB: Ben Coker, Harry Kyprianou
RM:
CM: Ryan Leonard, Michael Timlin, Will Atkinson, Anthony Wordsworth, Jack Bridge
LM: Stephen McLaughlin, Nico Cotton
ST: David Mooney

Who stays? Who goes? What do we need?

For me, the only loanee I would be surprised to see here in August is McQueen, we didn't really suit him as a player and I'd imagine Southampton would want him playing regularly which he's struggled to get in a squad with several wingers who barely ever play.

I'd like to see Barnett sign, Malarczyk on loan wouldn't be bad back up, and Kamara has potential. Loza offers something different but there's better quality out there.

Personally, I'd like to keep Bolger, but off the field issues could affect that. Worrall is one I'd be desperately trying to keep, like Payne and Bentley, though we are resigned to the latter two leaving. If the club are convinced of Moussa's fitness, I'd love to see him offered a two year deal, and if not then a one year deal as long as the wages are reasonable, but would expect he'd be asking for a fair wedge. I'd also take up the option on Deegan, he's a decent squad player and a bit of strength in midfield, and Hunt, perhaps offer him a new deal with more incentives for games played or try to negotiate a wage cut if he is on wages as high as some claim.

Williams still doesn't seem to have shown enough to break through, and Hurst, Weston, and Prosser are all deadwood from League 2 for me.

One of my top priorities this summer would be to get Leonard on a new deal, given that his current one expires this time next year. Hopefully the club will learn from the Bentley and Payne fiascos.

Barnett's the only loanee I'd consider signing personally. The others IMO are either just not good enough (Loza and Malarczyk) or have potential but failed to make enough of an impact (Kamara and McQueen).

Barnett's the only loanee I'd consider signing personally. The others IMO are either just not good enough (Loza and Malarczyk) or have potential but failed to make enough of an impact (Kamara and McQueen).

The jury is a still out for me on Barnett. When he first arrived I thought he was what we had been missing, a big bloke to lead the line with not a little skill and an eye for goal. When he feels like it he is the business, but more and more he has gone off the boil. He redeemed himself against Bradford but his miss against Bury was cringe worthy. I'll leave the choices to him and PB but I wouldn't be too worried if he went.

I must be the only one not overly fussed about Worrall. No doubting he's a good player but hasn't shown nearly enough this season to justify us going out of our way to keep him here.

Bentley and Payne are the only two I'm genuinely gutted are leaving.

I accepted Bentley would be leaving a long time ago, I'm over it

Worrall, see ya bye. He's good on his day but he's had a very inconsistent season. If your heart isn't here then it's best you leave.

Payne is the one I'm really disappointed in. For years this kid was the hot shot in the youth team. He had glowing reports from Ricky Duncan and various team mates. We should never have let his contract enter the last year. He's only been a regular first teamer for about 6 months but he's been player of the season in that time. Very disappointing we'll only get a nominal fee for him at a tribunal.

For me, the only loanee I would be surprised to see here in August is McQueen, we didn't really suit him as a player and I'd imagine Southampton would want him playing regularly which he's struggled to get in a squad with several wingers who barely ever play.

I'd like to see Barnett sign, Malarczyk on loan wouldn't be bad back up, and Kamara has potential. Loza offers something different but there's better quality out there.

Personally, I'd like to keep Bolger, but off the field issues could affect that. Worrall is one I'd be desperately trying to keep, like Payne and Bentley, though we are resigned to the latter two leaving. If the club are convinced of Moussa's fitness, I'd love to see him offered a two year deal, and if not then a one year deal as long as the wages are reasonable, but would expect he'd be asking for a fair wedge. I'd also take up the option on Deegan, he's a decent squad player and a bit of strength in midfield, and Hunt, perhaps offer him a new deal with more incentives for games played or try to negotiate a wage cut if he is on wages as high as some claim.

Williams still doesn't seem to have shown enough to break through, and Hurst, Weston, and Prosser are all deadwood from League 2 for me.

One of my top priorities this summer would be to get Leonard on a new deal, given that his current one expires this time next year. Hopefully the club will learn from the Bentley and Payne fiascos.

A good post - and I agree with almost all of the points made.

I'm not that keen on either McQueen or Kamara or Loza so I would not even try to sign them.

One option with Moussa is to go with a 1 year contract with the option to extend on the club's part - or on Moussa's part if he plays enough games.

Barnett blows hot and cold - when hot he is good. Barnett doesn't get the service and support if the midfield is being pulled back to help with a leaky defence. A tricky decision but I would keep him on the basis that we sort out both our defence and out midfield.

As you can tell, key for me is getting in another keeper for competition and some central defenders - I am resigned to the fact that Bolger is leaving.

Loza hardly got a look in when w could play him so would be amazed if we went for him.

Massive summer for us. To me it's a hell of a lot of bodies to replace.

And I am not a fan of loanees in most cases but I would consider getting that Hendrie back for a season long loan. He is one of the few loanees that we have had that looked like a quality player right from the start.

We have been in worse positions before and if we exclude all those that are likely to leave, we can still put out a fair Team (a bit light on the subs bench) - so it's not all doom and gloom from my perspective and shows that PB has developed a reasonable squad

Ted Smith

John White, Adam Barrett, Adam Thompson, Ben Coker,

Ryan Leonard, Michael Timlin, Will Atkinson, Stephen McLaughlin

Anthony Wordsworth,

David Mooney

Subs:

Luke O'Neill, Jordan Williams, Dan Matsuzaka, Harry Kyprianou, Nico Cotton, Jack Bridge

PB has done well to get two seasons out of the majority of this squad. There has been much said about constant team and formation changes but I think part of the reason for this is that there isn't much between the players. Thompson, Bolger, Barrett, Prosser for example. All capable of doing a job, none command a shirt for 46 games and that's what we need for next season. Three or four new faces who are capable of performing for the duration of a campaign. New blood who will be first names on the team sheet.

Several of the current lot may have to go to make way but I wouldn't be disappointed if that has to happen. I'd be concerned and would fear a struggle for next season with this squad and little difference to it. Not calling for wholesale changes but an injection of new faces that are first team ready.

When should we expect to find out who is being let go?

I'd imagine before the end of the week, before players jet off on their holiday.

Lots of Clubs are announcing their released/retained list at the moment, so we will soon.

Agree - we should hear the names of some that are leaving this week. And perhaps in the next couple of weeks those players who are not initially agreeing to the contract offers in front of them.

I know there are those that want us to sign up players as soon as possible ........... but there will be a good many players being released from Championship clubs in the next couple of weeks. They will most likely try to secure contracts with other Championship clubs before considering going down a league ........... a little patience might see us secure players with a good pedigree who come to the club knowing that they need to do well to continue their career at the highest possible level.

I would imagine they were waiting for the Gala Dinner last night before announcing the released players.

Of the loanees, I'd take Barnett and Kamara. Would have McQueen too, but he won't be available. Malarczyk might be worth it on the assumption that both Prosser and Bolger will be going.

Of those with expiring contracts, this is what I expect:

GK: Dan Bentley - released; Paul Smith - retiring and coach position accepted
CB: Cian Bolger - released; Luke Prosser - released
RM: David Worrall - released; Kevan Hurst - one year contract
CM: Gary Deegan - one year extension; Franck Moussa - contract offered
LM: Myles Weston - released
ST: Jack Payne - released; Noel Hunt - one year extension; Jason Williams - one year contract

It's important to note that the majority of the rest of the squad all have contracts which expire next Summer. It is imperative that we move early to get those key ones extended.

I think the skilful trick is to get em in early in the main but leave enough cash for that last minute championship deal

I would say goodbye to Barnett. There's a reason he moves around clubs, he's had 6 since last year. He has the size and physique but seeing him in many matches, home and away, he doesn't consistently put enough effort in for me. We need better.

Deegan has had his clause activated so will be here next season.

Wonder what that means for the other two with clauses not activated yet, Hunt and Bolger...

Back