• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Does anyone know if there was any particular reason it was as late a kick off as it was, or was that another decision to be laid at Sky's doorstep? I did watch, and felt for the Villa fans, it reminded me of our match against Crewe somewhat. Seemed very odd to have this so late in the season, I reckoned it was two weekends later than it used to be, didn't the Play Off finals used to be the last matches of the season?
The late kick off is all to do with the TV companies, as they have higher viewing figures at 17:30 as opposed to 15:00.

The F.A cup final always used to be the last weekend of the season, they changed it in 2013 to two weeks earlier but Wigan got to the final and had to play a huge game a few days later against Arsenal to stay up - they couldn't even celebrate winning it that night as they had to prepare for the game. After that, I think the F.A have now vowed to keep it as the last fixture of the season.

The late kick off is all to do with the TV companies, as they have higher viewing figures at 17:30 as opposed to 15:00.

The F.A cup final always used to be the last weekend of the season, they changed it in 2013 to two weeks earlier but Wigan got to the final and had to play a huge game a few days later against Arsenal to stay up - they couldn't even celebrate winning it that night as they had to prepare for the game. After that, I think the F.A have now vowed to keep it as the last fixture of the season.

Isn't there a law that prevents games being shown between 3pm and 5pm in the UK?

Isn't there a law that prevents games being shown between 3pm and 5pm in the UK?

There is, yeah but it doesn't apply to the Cup Final.

Bit harsh to blame Sky though as someone did earlier. They don't show the FA Cup!

Thanks for your response. I know my daughter's birthday is 17th May and the FA Cup Final has often coincided with her birthday and parties over the years. Seemed exceptionally late this season.

Since football has been promoted by sky so we see football all the time , the magic of FA Cup Saturday has since long died. When I was younger I loved the whole day, regardless who played. This was always the greatest build up, including reporters staying in the hotel with the teams, helicopters following the coaches on the way to the ground, these memories will never be experienced again and majority of the magic of the whole day died for me when football on tv was no longer a treat !
Absolutely...................Technology 1 Historical Protocol 0.

I only got this from Greg Dyke's interview with Gary Lineker before the game. He said it was solely the TV companies decision. There is a law but I was under the impression that this was during the regular season (to prevent people not turning up to 3pm matches when there is a game on TV).

Absolutely...................Technology 1 Historical Protocol 0.

The marketing, P.R. people and sponsors seem not to grasp the contradictions they create that muddies the image they are trying to promote.

On one hand there is the tradition, years of records, the game started in England and spread across the world, the david v goliath games ..... and on the other hand constant changes in time, date and sponsorship by companies that have nothing to do with English football such as that fizzy, tasteless lager of a few years ago.

The F. A. may do some good things (such as standing up to F.I.F.A.) but they are too interested in money (and their own pensions, salaries and expenses) to my mind.

Can't say I agree with it being horse****, it was quite an enjoyable match I thought. Didn't have a vested interest so could just sit back and watch it.

I much prefer the 3pm kick off as its more nostalgic, this 5.30 kick off thing is weird.

What a load of horse**** compared to last week.

That's the drama people want. Not some **** wideboy and his team of hardly deserving prem players barely turning out.

We showed the magic of the cup. Imagine that in an FA Cup final, they'd be showing it for years to come.

LEAGUE ONE YOU ****ING BEAUTIES!!! LEAGUE ****ING ONE!

Harsh on Wenger mate...

How can you say it was terrible? Southend were playing at Wembley!!!! Sure for 119 minutes the actual match wasnt spectacular but it was always going to be a tight game with nothing in it considering what was at stake.

I think he was talking from the perspective of neutrals, if you asked a neutral which game was better to watch they'll likely say the FA cup.

Back