• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Facebook status thread

seany t

President
I dunno about you guys, but I used to love Facebook. Well, for about 3 weeks. What it does well, it does great: silly stories, remembering birthdays, organising events, seeing photos taken by people you'd like to see more often, etc.

However, when left in the hands of an imbecile Facebook is a weapon ready to bring down modern society - eg. Pirates game, giving 'gifts' you pay $2 for (a virtual clipart present?!?!), poking, etc

But the worst of all these crimes? The heinous misuse of the Status Update bar.

In the past, this was the part of Facebook I valued most. A place to handily digest where my friends and family are at. In recent times however, as my friend list is gradually increasing and starting to be occupied by people I know less well but for some God unknown reason feel the need to be my 'friend' (eg. my sisters friends I have met once, people from my primary school class, freelancers I've worked with etc) its a place that haunts my dreams and is starting to make me never want to go on there. For example, recent Status Updates I've noted:

"XXXXXXXX is waiting for eastenders to come on lol :-)"
"XXXXXXXX is putting on some washing. Exciting hehehe! xxx"
"XXXXXXXX is lolrofl!!!!"

Hilarious.

So, what are your thoughts on this: What are the worst Status Updates you've noted? Do you too know people that lie out their lives and relationships via their Facebook Walls? Or are you becoming like me, only meaner, and deleting half of these folks?

I think it is great and I have made some useful contacts.

Luckily no members of Skull and Bones, the Bullingdon club and other elitist organizations I have added as friends have noticed that I wasn't a member and I have got few nice business deals out it.

I agree about some people being annoying on it. Got an update the other day that some idiot on my friends list has "become a fan of internet explorer"!

The only ones that get me are when people decide to air their dirty laundry in public.

Otherwise I quite enjoy having a nose through the list and seeing what people are up to.

I added some people who I lived with at uni and thought I was good mates with. Now, I hardly have any contact with them. I cut ties with one flatmate from Cheltenham who was stuck up her own arse, had a posh boyfriend from Nottingham who one night came back to my house drunk and 4am and decided to make a racket. I screamed at him and told him to shut the f*ck up (I had an exam 6 hours from then), and then in the morning, the gf had a go at me for shouting at him!

So, do you reckon I should cut ties with people I only speak to on there once a year?!

I don't use it anymore (facebook I mean, I'm still doing a hell of a lot of crack) because they really made it hard to hook up with under 18s - it used to be a breeze.

I don't know about the worst status updates, but my favourite was my own:

'Rusty Shackleford has been living in semi-seclusion in Northern Quebec since the unfortunate Denny Pratt tragedy.'

I dunno about you guys, but I used to love Facebook. Well, for about 3 weeks. What it does well, it does great: silly stories, remembering birthdays, organising events, seeing photos taken by people you'd like to see more often, etc.

However, when left in the hands of an imbecile Facebook is a weapon ready to bring down modern society - eg. Pirates game, giving 'gifts' you pay $2 for (a virtual clipart present?!?!), poking, etc

But the worst of all these crimes? The heinous misuse of the Status Update bar.

In the past, this was the part of Facebook I valued most. A place to handily digest where my friends and family are at. In recent times however, as my friend list is gradually increasing and starting to be occupied by people I know less well but for some God unknown reason feel the need to be my 'friend' (eg. my sisters friends I have met once, people from my primary school class, freelancers I've worked with etc) its a place that haunts my dreams and is starting to make me never want to go on there. For example, recent Status Updates I've noted:

"XXXXXXXX is waiting for eastenders to come on lol :-)"
"XXXXXXXX is putting on some washing. Exciting hehehe! xxx"
"XXXXXXXX is lolrofl!!!!"

Hilarious.

So, what are your thoughts on this: What are the worst Status Updates you've noted? Do you too know people that lie out their lives and relationships via their Facebook Walls? Or are you becoming like me, only meaner, and deleting half of these folks?

I think you've summarised Facebook perfectly, particularly the sentence about adding 'friends' you barely know - there are quite a few on mine from secondary school that I never really cared for. Part of me thinks it's totally odd, though there is another part which feels slightly flattered that they remembered me. And yes, most of them use the sort of banal status updates you quoted.

For me, Facebook is a bit like the rep system on here - open to abuse but for the most part lighthearted fun. I check mine fairly regularly but don't spend more than a couple of minutes browsing. I can never understand people that download every single feature and impose them on others, that's just disturbing.

My status updates tend to be song lyrics. Today it's: "Kris is not some bird that looks like Billy Connolly" (Kids by Robbie Williams and Kylie Minogue).

I'm getting a bit concerned by it now. My initial policy of being polite and just accepting anyone has left me hundreds of people who I don't even know, all of whom have access to personal photos, messages and, if this latest scam report is correct, my bank details.

I'd scrap it if I knew how*

* - And, you know, if I could be bothered to move all the pictures back to my computer, save the details of the people I do want to stay in contact with and still retain the right to peruse pcitures of my old classmates/workmates, continually ranking them in order of fitness in a long, drawn-out and possibly criminal endeavour

I'm getting a bit concerned by it now. My initial policy of being polite and just accepting anyone has left me hundreds of people who I don't even know, all of whom have access to personal photos, messages and, if this latest scam report is correct, my bank details.

I'd watch out for people you DO know scamming your personal details.

The only ones that get me are when people decide to air their dirty laundry in public.
A bit like this one I read recently....

" xxxx says a life for a life right dont play play big boy games if your not a ready you know who you are and what youve done be careful mate and you dumb blonde. "

Followed by another update 1 minute later....

" xxxx okay enjoy your last week the problem with u black boys is that you think your to bad lol oh my god you have no idea whats behind you. "

Well, there will no prizes for guessing 'who dunnit' should anything happen to that guy :D

I used to spend ages on facebook but i see it more as a tool now, it's useful for keeping in touch with people, especially those i would lose contact with because i'm a lazy sod.

I do hate getting invites to rubbish applications though, and pointless groups/events that if the people inviting me really knew me well they'd know there's no way I'd be interested in. I also seem to have acquired a few random 'friends' who i've never met that i should probably trim from my list.

I'm also considering cutting out anyone who uses 'lol' in their status updates. I only want friends who have a full use of the english language.

Its all about the status updates and news feed. Its like ya daily gossip catch-up all in about 2 minutes!

Just looked and the first two are:

XXXXXX is excited... WOO :)
XXXXXX is not sure

No harm in a bit of humour though, the ones that get me are the XXXXXX has had enough of you, you know who u are..., or XXXXXXX thinks he should **** off etc. noone cares about your relationship problems...

One guy on my facebook updates his status all the time with comments like:

'XXXXXXXXX cant w8 to see his gawjuss baby on fri nite only 3 dayz 2 go baby i luv u so much i'm the luckiest guy in da world i luv u so much baby girl so glad ur mine luv ya 4eva xxxxxxxx'

Quite possibly the most annoying thing i have ever read!

a/ What is that god awful language he always writes in?

and

b/ If you love her that much, why don't you just phone her up and tell her! Or text her. Or even better, just tell her to her face on Friday when you see her! Arghhhh!! :madman:

as some of you know, I have two face book accounts:

1) for my family, friends, aquaitances, sz chums, ex school mates, work mates etc...
2) for the band and muscally related people.

neither have my bank details.. largly, as I dont have a bank account. if you are worried about your pics being stolen, dont put them on.

I do despair at some peoples status comments..the worst on my personal page is my eldest niece..she is such a stepford wife! 'XXX hopes hubby will be home soon' (I DETEST the word hubby, 'XXX is singing mistletoe and wine'...etc etc etc...banal, comments should be kept to themselves.

unfortunately, Facebook just shows how boring and futile most of our lives are

Back