• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK

Life President⭐⭐
Things could start hotting up out there. The Falklands or Malvinas as the Argies call them, 310 miles from Argentina, is under increased threat again after oil and gas was found through drilling. The thing is, the last time the Argies moved on the Falklands we were a much bigger in military might and was always going to win in the end. This time, we are not. We don't have the aircraft carriers that are crucial to remove an invading force from those islands, and protect any type of war ships, personnel or supply ships we send. So they can invade at will, or they could wait for the oil rig to be built and send their jets or war ships to destroy it. The USA wouldn't back us up over this one. Oh dear. They could have us by the goolies this time.

On a much less serious note, why don't we keep the Falklands, but let them have Canvey?

Things could start hotting up out there. The Falklands or Malvinas as the Argies call them, 310 miles from Argentina, is under increased threat again after oil and gas was found through drilling. The thing is, the last time the Argies moved on the Falklands we were a much bigger in military might and was always going to win in the end. This time, we are not. We don't have the aircraft carriers that are crucial to remove an invading force from those islands, and protect any type of war ships, personnel or supply ships we send. So they can invade at will, or they could wait for the oil rig to be built and send their jets or war ships to destroy it. The USA wouldn't back us up over this one. Oh dear. They could have us by the goolies this time.

On a much less serious note, why don't we keep the Falklands, but let them have Canvey?

With the exception of the potential loan deal for Russian bombers, I'd say the Argentinan forces are in a worse shape than ours. Retaking the Falklands would be tricky at the moment, but I also feel it'd be a struggle for Argentina to take them.

As for international support, doesn't the Treaty of Lisbon make the Falklands more of a European issue? I seem to recall it would guarantee us a bit more support from, maybe even militarily.

I have had several trips to Brazil and have met numerous Argies. Never any problems, travelled with a few and played football against the Brazilians.Over a beer I have had to point out a couple of facts.

1.... Europeans settled the Falklands [refuse to use the M word] long before Argentina was even a country.

2... We won the 1982 war fair and square, where as their 1986 quarter final win was only achieved by cheating [ again I refuse to use the other M word]

There's an election this year. So, it's just posturing. Their military is old and decrepit. We'd wipe the floor with them.

The Argies don't have nuclear weapons. Game over.

With the exception of the potential loan deal for Russian bombers, I'd say the Argentinan forces are in a worse shape than ours. Retaking the Falklands would be tricky at the moment, but I also feel it'd be a struggle for Argentina to take them.

As for international support, doesn't the Treaty of Lisbon make the Falklands more of a European issue? I seem to recall it would guarantee us a bit more support from, maybe even militarily.

They wouldn't be able to land a single soldier I'd wager with the 4 Eurofighter Typhoons stationed there, an Astute/Trafalgar class nuclear attack submarine patrolling the depths below and a Sheffield or Daring class destroyer on the surface.

They wouldn't be able to land a single soldier I'd wager with the 4 Eurofighter Typhoons stationed there, an Astute/Trafalgar class nuclear attack submarine patrolling the depths below and a Sheffield or Daring class destroyer on the surface.

And the ever present threat of a morale boosting visit from Jim Davidson.

That same sort of talk was going around the first time as our ships made their way to the Falklands. Our jets were meant to easily deal with theirs, and the talk was that it would be a quick war with their jets intercepted by our better, newer ones with more firepower, so unlikely to lose any ships.
The reality was that the Argies sunk HMS Sheffield, HMS Ardent, HMS Antelope, HMS Coventry, SS Atlantic Conveyor and RFA Sir Galahad. It could have been even worse as more ships were hit by the bombs dropped from their Skyhawks, that didn't explode.

That same sort of talk was going around the first time as our ships made their way to the Falklands. Our jets were meant to easily deal with theirs, and the talk was that it would be a quick war with their jets intercepted by our better, newer ones with more firepower, so unlikely to lose any ships.
The reality was that the Argies sunk HMS Sheffield, HMS Ardent, HMS Antelope, HMS Coventry, SS Atlantic Conveyor and RFA Sir Galahad.

Last time around we didn't (as I recall) have a permanent station of fighters at Stanley. In addition, the Argentine forces have had even less investment than ours.

The one thing that does concern me though is the initial defence. Should Argentina declare war, I'm confident we'd destroy the vast majority of their forces before they land. Argentina, though, are highly unlikely to declare war, so at what point do we open fire? It would take a very brave decision to open fire on, and sink, a troop transport that's only just entered Falklands waters, so how long do we leave it? The diplomacy rounds will take place, and all that time the force would be steaming to Stanley. Our interception ability is only of any use if we have the courage to use it early.

Met a ex marine a couple of years ago who was Stationed on the Falklands in 1982 when the Argies first invaded. He ended up a prisoner of war in Buenos Aires [well treated]. They new months before that an invasion was immanent. On the weekly supply flight from Argentina the staff suddenly increased from 2 to about 12. All looking suspiciously like air force personnel and taking tourist snaps of Port Stanley and the airport.

After the war he ended up marrying a local Falklands girl, stayed on the Islands and brought up children there. If you think the Scotland get a good deal from the English tax payer, I can tell you that's nothing compared to the Falklands. We pay for his children to attend private school in England, free millitary flights to and from Britain. Very little in local tax and much cheaper utilities to name a few of the perks. Insurance is dirt cheap as crime rate is virtually zero. Sounds like a Ukip paradise to me.

Met a ex marine a couple of years ago who was Stationed on the Falklands in 1982 when the Argies first invaded. He ended up a prisoner of war in Buenos Aires [well treated]. They new months before that an invasion was immanent. On the weekly supply flight from Argentina the staff suddenly increased from 2 to about 12. All looking suspiciously like air force personnel and taking tourist snaps of Port Stanley and the airport.

After the war he ended up marrying a local Falklands girl, stayed on the Islands and brought up children there. If you think the Scotland get a good deal from the English tax payer, I can tell you that's nothing compared to the Falklands. We pay for his children to attend private school in England, free millitary flights to and from Britain. Very little in local tax and much cheaper utilities to name a few of the perks. Insurance is dirt cheap as crime rate is virtually zero. Sounds like a Ukip paradise to me.

In the Corp it's Royal marine and former Royal marine never ex,just saying like.

No one ****ed with me and my dog when I was out there. No issues for the 6 months I was there I leave and it all starts kicking off :winking:

Riceys Dog 2 The Argies 0

Back