• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The family bonanza thing.

To be honest, we're not going to sell out most games and IMO, getting kids to fill as many of the remaining seats as possible, even for a nominal fee, is a great idea. Certainly seems like assisting the club's future to me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ Jan. 30 2005,12:08)] (By the way, I didn't notice anyone leaving before kick-off but I was staggered by how many left as soon as Eastwood scored rather than hanging around another couple of minutes for the joyouse celebrations at the end.)
Astonishing indeed. When I took my kids to Carlisle just after the LDV Final, (the two matches which together finally ignited their interest in SUFC) they took as much enjoyment from cheering and clapping the players at the end as from the match itself, and they expect it now as an important part of the whole day

what i found more astonishing was darlo fans leaving with about 8 minutes to go and 1-0 down. come all that way and leave early when there is still a chance they could have got a point. strange !

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Jan. 30 2005,13:11)]they expect it now as an important part of the whole day
Don't envy your position when you have to explain to them in the future that 'It doesn't happen every week. In fact, most weeks it's rubbish and sometimes you chant for a manager out'

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Jan. 30 2005,13:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Jan. 30 2005,13:11)]they expect it now as an important part of the whole day
Don't envy your position when you have to explain to them in the future that 'It doesn't happen every week.  In fact, most weeks it's rubbish and sometimes you chant for a manager out'
biggrin.gif

My first chant was "Ruebens Out", which rather dates me. They have been spoilt, the three matches they have seen since the LDV were Carlisle (2-1) Boston (2-1) and Swansea (4-2) but to be fair they insisted on staying clapping the team for ages after the LDV final, and I tell them about the grim games I remember as well as the glorious victories (4-2 against Newport, anyone, after being 0-2 with seventeen minutes left?)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Jan. 30 2005,13:11)]Astonishing indeed. When I took my kids to Carlisle just after the LDV Final, (the two matches which together finally ignited their interest in SUFC) they took  as much enjoyment from cheering and clapping the players at the end as from the match itself, and they expect it now as an important part of the whole day
Absolutely, especially when the players show their appreciation back as they do under Tilson's management.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Jan. 30 2005,14:26)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Jan. 30 2005,13:34)]
[b said:
Don't envy your position when you have to explain to them in the future that 'It doesn't happen every week. In fact, most weeks it's rubbish and sometimes you chant for a manager out'
biggrin.gif

My first chant was "Ruebens Out", which rather dates me. They have been spoilt, the three matches they have seen since the LDV were Carlisle (2-1) Boston (2-1) and Swansea (4-2) but to be fair they insisted on staying clapping the team for ages after the LDV final, and I tell them about the grim games I remember as well as the glorious victories (4-2 against Newport, anyone, after being 0-2 with seventeen minutes left?)
Who was Ruebens?

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barmy Army @ Jan. 30 2005,16:03)]Who was Ruebens?

rock.gif
I believe the club was owned for many years by the Ruebens family up until the early 80s.  Bill (?) Reubens was the chairman and I believe it was him who persuaded the then Supporters Club to hand over ownership of the ground to the club.

I'm sure SIAK will correct me as even I wasn't around back then
biggrin.gif

Or even the "Rubins". They were bought out by the infamous Anton Johnson in the summer of 1983, a transaction that near enough killed off the football club.

WS

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ Jan. 30 2005,18:37)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barmy Army @ Jan. 30 2005,16:03)]Who was Ruebens?

rock.gif
I believe the club was owned for many years by the Ruebens family up until the early 80s.  Bill (?) Reubens was the chairman and I believe it was him who persuaded the then Supporters Club to hand over ownership of the ground to the club.

I'm sure SIAK will correct me as even I wasn't around back then  
biggrin.gif
Yup, pretty much the situation. There was a persistent rumour, which was believed even more than the one about the gates always being under-reported, that the Reubens were very happy with the team in Div 3 and they had no intention of allowing the team to get promoted to Div 2. Guess we will never know the truth of that one, but boy did we spend a looooong time in the 3rd Division

glare.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Jan. 30 2005,19:14)]Yup, pretty much the situation. There was a persistent rumour, which was believed even more than the one about the gates always being under-reported, that the Reubens were very happy with the team in Div 3 and they had no intention of allowing the team to get promoted to Div 2. Guess we will never know the truth of that one, but boy did we spend a looooong time in the 3rd Division
What's a "looooong time" though? Throughout the 70s and 80s we tended to drift between the Third and Fourth Divisions ...

WS

Didnt make it today, but pleased to see such a good crowd, also delighted to see us win,felt we might slip up on this one.

Must say the commercial dept have been superb lately, certainly seem to be on the ball and look much more professional than in years past. I am a big fan of these family days, its what a football club should be about and hopefully convert a few to the cause certainly better than having 6000-7000 seats empty.

Heres to 3 points at the Vetch ...
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Jan. 30 2005,19:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Jan. 30 2005,19:14)]Yup, pretty much the situation. There was a persistent rumour, which was believed even more than the one about the gates always being under-reported, that the Reubens were very happy with the team in Div 3 and they had no intention of allowing the team to get promoted to Div 2. Guess we will never know the truth of that one, but boy did we spend a looooong time in the 3rd Division
What's a "looooong time" though? Throughout the 70s and 80s we tended to drift between the Third and Fourth Divisions ...

WS
From Season 1920 -21, until Season 1965 - 66 when we were relegated to the 4th Division. Over 40 years in one division - a long time in most fans books! Admittedly, we were in 3rd South for a long time and when the 4th Div was formed from the 3rd South and North, we went into the 3rd because we finished in the top half of the 3rd South, so I suppose you could count that as promotion, but that season we were only 7th. We went 40 - odd years without earning promotion by right.

Rubens
tounge.gif
Spellling ain't my strong point!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Jan. 30 2005,20:06)]From Season 1920 -21, until  Season 1965 - 66 when we were relegated to the 4th Division. Over 40 years in one division - a long time in most fans books! Admittedly, we were in 3rd South for a long time and when the 4th Div was formed from the 3rd South and North, we went into the 3rd because we finished in the top half of the 3rd South, so I suppose you could count that as promotion, but that season we were only 7th. We went 40 - odd years without earning promotion by right.

Rubens  
tounge.gif
Ah, I see what you mean! I thought you meant during the 70s and 80s etc ...

WS

BTW - It's RubIn ...

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Jan. 30 2005,20:07)]Rubens  
tounge.gif
Ah, I see what you mean! I thought you meant during the 70s and 80s etc ...

WS

BTW - It's RubIn ...

wink.gif
[/QUOTE]
Damn!
mad.gif
down.gif

No wonder I never did well in my spelling tests - even when I copied! Arnie Shoan loved me!!

Back