• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Due to popular request (well, one, anyway) here is the first fbm preview for the forthcoming Blues home fixture against Lincoln.  Purely my take on what the game holds, things to be aware of, etc.  The usual stuff and, I hope, presented in an unbiased way giving a balanced perspective of both teams.

WE'RE GONNA STUFF THOSE IMPS RIGHT OUT OF SIGHT!

Nah, you'd expect more than that, wouldn't you?

OK, seriously, until now I have said that if there is one game that I think we would win between now and the end of the season it is this one.  I don't think Tilly needs a team talk; he just needs to obtain a blown up copy of their manager Keith Alexanders comments after we played them in August (Scriv - can you oblige?) and stick them on the dressing room wall.

For those who don't know, it was something like
"Well, you can obviously see that Southend AREN'T going to be there or thereabouts at the end of the season..."

A reminder of that should be enough to motivate our lads to really stuff those words down his throat.

However, what about the monumental effort the players put in on Tuesday?  How will it affect the team?

Selection wise, it should be unchanged from Tuesday really.  Hunt is still injured and is likely to be out 3-4 weeks, so Jupp has a chance to regain his place.  The Jupp/Hunt debate is almost as hard to call as the Flahavan/Griemink one; both players give you different things.  The key for me is that, this season, when Hunt has been at right back (20 occasions) we have kept 11 clean sheets - that's 55%.  When Jupp has been at right back (23 occasions) we have kept a clean sheet on just 3 occasions, a paltry 13%.  Without question Jupp gives us another option going forward, which helps to compensate for Pettefers lack of width.  But with the giant Lincoln defence likely to win every aerial battle going, it will be the ball to feet and speed of Gray and Eastwood which can unlock the defence, so Jupp's attacking options are possibly superfluous.  It's immaterial anyway - Hunt's injured so Jupp has to play.

Lincolns direct approach means that the midfield will be missed out so Bentley will be less than effective, Maher as the holding player needs to be on top of his game but it is Gower that will be crucial.  Will his fitness allow 2 games in a week? If not then our creativity will be gone.

Up front Eastwood and Gray will be a handful for any defence on their day, but will Tuesdays workrate have eaten into their fitness reserves?

If Blues are to get something from this game, Gower and Gray need to be right on top of their game.  I see them as the key performers.

As for Lincoln, last Saturday they were turned over at home by Wycombe 3-2, and had conceded 3 goals in the first 39 minutes and were lucky not to give away a penalty as well.  Their goals were gifts really - one a keeping error and the other a penalty.  So we may be facing a backlash.  Matt Bloomer had a nightmare game at centre half according to reports and may be replaced by the lanky Ben Futcher (on the bench last week), who will be a constant threat at set pieces.  Their front two of Yeo and Taylor-Fletcher are decent at this level, and their squad has been boosted by todays reported signing of Derek Asamoah from Mansfield, who ran the channels to great effect when the Stags nicked a 1-0 victory at the Hall on December 28th 2004.  His effectiveness will come down to whether Lincoln can learn to play to his strengths in one day- if he plays of course.

Players to watch out for - Futcher, Yeo, Taylor-Fletcher and Asamoah.

The fbm prediction -

Blues to dig deep into the stamina reserves and sneak a 2-1 victory, which will prompt disbelief from Keith Alexander who will proclaim they were the better team and should have won as we were in a false position.

Ummm........Official SZ preview is on the front page already, written by myself.

Stick to Match Reports FBM

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Mar. 11 2005,09:20)]Ummm........Official SZ preview is on the front page already, written by myself.

tounge.gif
Except his is better than yours.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Mar. 11 2005,09:20)]Ummm........Official SZ preview is on the front page already, written by myself.

tounge.gif
Sorry - didn't look.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Mar. 11 2005,09:36)]
[b said:

tounge.gif
Sorry - didn't look.
Nor me.

Not much point now really...

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Mar. 11 2005,09:26)]
[b said:

tounge.gif
Except his is better than yours.
Couldn't agree more!

A very interesting read as ever. The only part of your analysis that I'd really take issue with is that I think you undersestimate Mark Bentley's importance.

I think the key to the game will be whether we are able to get hold of the ball to pass it about. I see Benno as central to that as we will need his physical approach to win the secondary ball (and prevent Lincoln from winning secondary ball, as the whole premise behind long ball is effectively based on winning secondary ball) in order for the rest of the team to play football.
Also as we are a small team his aerial ability is going to be critical to us, but if Bentley (and Spinner) can neuter Lincoln's physicality we will win.

So my key man is Mark Bentley, with big days needed from Spencer Prior required to dominate the Lincoln forwards in the air (and protect our keeper), Wayne Gray to hold the ball up (although if he's looking a little jaded in training after Tuesday's heorics I'd start with Tes) and finally Mark Gower to create something when we've got the ball.

Listen, I don't want to tread on any toes or do something that is against the wishes of the moderators. But it is a discussion board, and like most people, I rarely look at the home page, as I can get pretty much everything from the forum (with links to articles if necessary).

Instead of a home page preview, why not have a pinned topic for match previews and match reports that we can all read, post and comment on? I have nothing to do with the site of course but I don't want to NOT post something because someone else has done an official version. I don't want to upset any of the owners but I'm not after stealing someones thunder either.

I just want to discuss the Blues!

blues.gif

Personally I think set-plays are the key here. We have to deal with Futcher and Bloomer or we're stuffed. I'm going to say nothing about goalkeepers though!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Mar. 11 2005,11:26)]Listen, I don't want to tread on any toes or do something that is against the wishes of the moderators.  But it is a discussion board, and like most people, I rarely look at the home page, as I can get pretty much everything from the forum (with links to articles if necessary).

Instead of a home page preview, why not have a pinned topic for match previews and match reports that we can all read, post and comment on? I have nothing to do with the site of course but I don't want to NOT post something because someone else has done an official version.  I don't want to upset any of the owners but I'm not after stealing someones thunder either.  

I just want to discuss the Blues!

blues.gif
Don't worry, Leeboy was trying to be funny.

We value your input very much and I like your idea about a pinned topic, something we can discuss tomorrow.

Everyone is entitled to post something, unofficial or not and if someone has a burning desire to write something for the home page, let us know in advance so we can accommodate it!

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (neil @ Mar. 11 2005,12:46)]Personally I think set-plays are the key here. We have to deal with Futcher and Bloomer or we're stuffed.
You have hit the nail on the head here - concentration needs to be 100% or we will be punished.

However, we do still have a fantastic defensive record at the Roots Hall Fortress - lets not forget that....
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Mar. 11 2005,14:12)]Don't worry, Leeboy was trying to be funny.
Indeed I was.

But it's funny how everyone complained when the front page wasn't updated, now it's updated regulary no-one bothers to read it................
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Mar. 11 2005,15:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Mar. 11 2005,14:12)]Don't worry, Leeboy was trying to be funny.
Indeed I was.

But it's funny how everyone complained when the front page wasn't updated, now it's updated regulary no-one bothers to read it................
rock.gif
I think everyone got used to it being not updated and got the info elsewhere.

As for me I have a direct link in my favourites straight to the forum. Very rarely do I access the home page at all.

Thanks so all that time (about 1 hour per match) I take to do the frontpage and subsequent pages is for no point.
down.gif

The issue of the non updating has been mentioned before, it was due to the delay between Mike deciding enough was enough and Lee and Naps taking control and being able to access the site.

Right that is it I have had enough!!
suspect.gif

tounge.gif

I guess I better find a way to automatically redirect people from the forum is the have not been to the homepage first
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Mar. 11 2005,15:50)]
[b said:
Indeed I was.

rock.gif
Even when I knew the preview was there, I had to trawl around the front page for a bit to find it. Maybe you should have a breaking news style part at the top or, at least, some indication at the top that something has changed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Mar. 11 2005,18:04)]Thanks so all that time (about 1 hour per match) I take to do the frontpage and subsequent pages is for no point.
down.gif

The issue of the non updating has been mentioned before, it was due to the delay between Mike deciding enough was enough and Lee and Naps taking control and being able to access the site.

Right that is it I have had enough!!  
suspect.gif

tounge.gif

I guess I better find a way to automatically redirect people from the forum is the have not been to the homepage first  
biggrin.gif

laugh.gif
To be honest I've NEVER looked at the frontpage... but have also never complained.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Mar. 11 2005,17:04)]I guess I better find a way to automatically redirect people from the forum is the have not been to the homepage first  
biggrin.gif

laugh.gif
Simple.
Delete cookies each time people leave the site and have the login page on the home page.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Fitter @ Mar. 11 2005,19:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Mar. 11 2005,17:04)]I guess I better find a way to automatically redirect people from the forum is the have not been to the homepage first
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif
Simple.
Delete cookies each time people leave the site and have the login page on the home page.
That would just be annoying!

How about pinning new stories/previews/reports links on the forum for a couple of days without allowing replies?

Excellent preview fbm, please keep it up.

Personally, I have bad vibes about tomorrow - thing's have been going too well, which is just not the Southend way of doing things!

After lapses in the last two games the defence needs to be back to top form tomorrow if we're to get the win we need.

Back