• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
BATTLING BLUES PUT BRUM OUT TO SEED

Southend pulled off one of the results of the season by deservedly claiming all three points on the sponge that is now the St Andrews pitch.

On an all too rare fbm awayday, the result rounded off a decent visit to England's second city. Travelling up in the afternoon with 2 mates, we parked in the car park pretty much next to the away entrance and then set off in the direction of a decent balti house.

Smiling natives cheerfully directed us down the Coventry Road, which was more Arab than Indian with not a curry house in sight. Well, not one I'd want to eat in. It was all Halal and fried chicken stuff and the area resembled Leyton on a bad day. We did walk past an award winning pub, the George and Dragon however. I think the award must have been for the "Worst Pub in the World". It was absolutely chronic. Following on from walking past another pub where there appeared to be some shady drug deal going on, we elected to grab a cab to the Balti triangle and the driver dropped us at Nawat, a superb and clean curry house where we enjoyed the local fare. The chilli nan bread was particularly violent and the Tropical Balti I enjoyed was Madras strength - but that is much hotter than a Madras down here. "Ring of Fire" became appropriate in more ways than one during the evening.

Onto the game then, and into the superb St Andrews stadium. If Fossets is anything like this I'll be well happy. The Southend fans were in good voice from the off and after we'd met up with another 3 mates in the ground we settled down to enjoy the match.

Blues started promisingly but in Birminghams first attack after 4 minutes they won a corner, which Upson promptly forced Flahavan to make the first of 3 fine saves during the match. The defenders powerful goalbound header was clawed away at full stretch by the Shrimpers custodian.

With the home side rampant and Southend seemingly powerless to stop them, a goal seemed inevitable. However, it took a misunderstanding between Clarke and Flahavan to gift the midlanders the opener after 8 minutes. A nothing ball was played into the box, Flahavan came for it at the same time that Clarke elected to head it back to him. The resultant scramble failed to keep the ball out and it has been credited as an own goal.

Birmingham turned on the style and it seemed to be a case of how many? A free kick 25 yards out was curled against the post and the follow up went narrowly wide, and Flahavan had to be at his best again to keep out another effort which deflected off a defender.

At this point, all Southend had to show for their efforts was a Freddy free kick that ended up in the upper tier of the stand behind the goal. However, on 21 minutes the game changed completely. The excellent Campbell-Ryce chased a lost cause and forced Taylor to clear hurriedly. This hit one of his own defenders and JCR chased the rebound, beating Taylor to it and laying it back for Maher to strike home from 10 yards.

Almost immediately both sets of player's body language changed and the home crowd lost their voice. Birmingham became ordinary, the sponge pitch making it difficult to play fluent football, and Blues gave as good as they got. The half time whistle was greeted by a chorus of boos towards the home side, and this also gave the visitors a lift.

After another up tempo start to the second half, Freddy made it 2-1 three minutes in. A sweeping move saw McCormack cushion a header back to Eastwood, who switched feet and hit a low drive into the corner.

Birmingham seemed clueless at this point although there were prolonged periods of possession and Flahavan again made a full length save - his best of the night - from a misplaced header by Clarke that seemed destined for the bottom corner. But the longer the game went on the more restless the crowd got and the more desperate and ineffective the home side became. Although Birmingham had probably more possession and a 12-3 corner count advantage, it was Southend who had the better chances. Freddy hit a shot a whisker wide and also forced a good save out of Taylor, while JCR made a fantastic run, beating the full back and putting over a pinpoint cross for Bradbury. His leap and powerful downward header would have gone in on a proper pitch, but the St Andrews sponge absorbed the impact as the ball hit the ground and stayed there, allowing Taylor to make the save.

In the end there was an almost inevitable third goal to kill the game off. With 5 minutes of normal time remaining, a short corner routine saw Freddy lay the ball back to Gower who amazingly had no Birmingham player near him. He had plenty of time to line his shot up and duly fired into the top corner from 20 yards.

Cue delerious scenes from the travelling faithful (about 500 I guess) who celebrated Blues first ever win at St Andrews. "Ring of Fire" rang out relentlessly from the visiting terrace as what was left of the home support were stunned into silence.

This is what we football fans live for. A win totally against all odds and the chance to say "I was there" to revel in the atmosphere of a superb night. Amazing.

We're now off the bottom and several clubs are coming into the mix. We are hitting form at the right time and it is difficult to put your finger on exactly why our fortunes have changed so dramatically. One factor is the arrival of Alan McCormack, who has added a tenacity in the midfield that was previously missing. His early departure tonight I believe to be because of an injury if I'm correct I hope he's not out too long. Another factor would be the form of JCR who tonight was awesome. He chased every ball, made some great runs and is now showing the potential that everyone thought that he possessed.

But whatever it is, long may it continue. We have taken half a season to get going but with teams like Norwich, Palace, Luton and QPR dropping like stones we now have a very real chance of clawing our way up the table. With 8 home games left we can almost guarantee safety if we win them all - which sounds a tall order - but they are almost all against the lower teams. They are most certainly all winnable and after tonight the lads must be in the mood to fear no-one. Onto Stoke and another stern test of the teams resolve.

Bring it on!

Ratings -

Flahavan - 8.5 - Another wonder display although I doubt whether he actually called for the ball which led to their goal. He certainly should have done.

Hunt - 7 - Solid tonight and defended doggedly
Hammell - 7 - Always a useful outlet wide on the left and again defended with determination
Barrett - 8.5 - Strong and defended with his life.
Clarke - 8 - Unfortunately scored an own goal and nearly scored another but made upf or those errors with an otherwise masterful display both in the air and on the deck

Gower - 6.5 - The only player not really at the races today but he did come good with a wonder strike with 5 minutes left
McCormack - 8 - A superb performance and if it was injury that forced him off I hope it's not serious
Maher - 8 - Worked well alongside McCormack and although he gave the ball away cheaply at times that could have been down to the pitch
JCR - 9 - MOM - What a perfomance. He attacked and defended with determination and pace. Got better and better.

Eastwood - 7 - Scored a fine goal from open play and worked hard up front
Bradbury - 7 - Battled away well against a strong back line and on another day would have scored

Subs -

Francis - 6 - Slotted in well at right back, allowing Hunt to move into midfield to replace McCormack
Harrold - 6 - A late substitution for Bradbury but hardly touched the ball

The ref - Mr Crossley - 7 - Very fair I thought. No doubt the home fans will moan as he waved away appeals for at least 3 penalties, only one of which had any merit in my view

nice one.
In the end there was an almost inevitable third goal to kill the game off.
Not soemthing you would usually associate with us this season.

oh, and how does the trip to the curry house tie in with your fight against the flab?

Another good report, and its seems that shots from opposition are now coming back off the woodwork and ours are flying in. Long may that continue:D

[QUOTE
oh, and how does the trip to the curry house tie in with your fight against the flab?[/QUOTE]

lol

I don't have to go mad you know...

:fart:

JCR's control of the loose ball from the mix-up in the Birmingham area for Maher's goal looks like handball though. About time something like that went our way.

Good report as usual FBM!

Excellent report, FBM!

Astonishing result. Absolutely astonishing.

Still, the old signature down there isn't looking so silly now, is it?!

*points down*

JCR's control of the loose ball from the mix-up in the Birmingham area for Maher's goal looks like handball though. About time something like that went our way.

Good report as usual FBM!

It looks like it on the TV, but it's the angle. His hands were nowhere near it and you can see no-one appeals.

It looks like it on the TV, but it's the angle. His hands were nowhere near it and you can see no-one appeals.

Fair enough, none of their team appeal.
Most the of the brummie skinhead neanderthals behind the goal go mad at the decision when the goal goes in though! :hilarious:

The ref - Mr Crossley - 7 - Very fair I thought. No doubt the home fans will moan as he waved away appeals for at least 3 penalties, only one of which had any merit in my view

Excellent report, but just a slight amendment; the referee was the usually incompetant Paul Armstrong.

quote from Brum forum:

thought their small band of fans were superb all night and were certainly giving us plenty of stick

Walking back to the car we actually got chatting to a couple of Brum fans who were very complimentary about us and saying we throughly deserved the 3 points and they wished Brum showed the same desire and willingness to fight as we did. Always nice to hear it from opposing fans. On the other hand we saw other Brum fans going mad and kicking out at the floor and calling the team spineless - how we laughed.

Another highlight of the day - while walking to the ground approx 7pm the traffic was very heavy when a cab driver wound down his window and asked whether the game had just finished!! Some very strange people in Brum!

Another factor would be the form of JCR who tonight was awesome. He chased every ball, made some great runs and is now showing the potential that everyone thought that he possessed.

Yeah everyone. Well apart from those people saying he was a waste of money, we shouldnt sign him permanently after his loan, he should be dropped :)

Im really pleased JCR has come good, Ive always thought he was a good player and just needed to improve. Just goes to show that sometimes its worth being patient and allowing a player to develop rather than slating him and demanding we get rid of him which was common place.
(Perhaps we should apply the same to Paynter as Im just as guilty of passing final judgement on him!)

Good report again FBM, cant comment on the scores as only listened on radio.

Would have expected a higher score from Gower after seeing his goal, but if you say the rest of his game wasnt great then fair enough. He does seem to have gone off the boil a little in the last few weeks.

flavs - 7.5, couple of excellent stops but a lack of communication resulted in their goal which luckly wasn't costly

hammell - 7, solid and some excellent corners
hunt - 7.5, was given a torrid time but did really well on the whole, especially after a nervous first 20mins, rarely had a player infront to protect him!
barrett - 8, excellent display, especially in the 2nd half
clarke - 8.5, stunning game today, finally seems to have found his range with his delivery as well, putting some excellent balls up to the strikers and wingers, was unlucky with the goal but almost got one at the other end

gower - 6, excellent finish at the death but had a poor game IMO, looks tired
jcr - 7.5, he is so useful when holding on to a result, and put some excellent passes in but his defensive work was poor in the first half, leaving hunt exposed too often
maher - 8 quality game from kev who took his goal well sured things up at the back when under pressure
macca - 7 quiet game and seemed a bit flustered in the the first half, putting himself under pressure

freddy - 8, almost fred back to his best.. picking the ball up in dangerous positions and playing some excellent passes around
bradbury - 7.5, got better as the game went on, winning a lot of ariel ball and battling well, should have scored from JCRs cross however

harrold - 6, didnt do much
francis - 6.5, looked handy

An interesting report. I would have to say the comments about Gower 'not being at the races' are a little harsh, especially after the way he took his goal and then went over and gave the Birmingham monkeys some stick. That made my night.

An interesting report. I would have to say the comments about Gower 'not being at the races' are a little harsh, especially after the way he took his goal and then went over and gave the Birmingham monkeys some stick. That made my night.

but what about when he misdirected a pass and then walked off facing the stand when the ball was behind him! dopey git!

Thanks for the report FBM , its allways good to hear about the whole day ie the travel the pubs , the locals etc along with the actual 90 mins . Wasnt there last night but was so proud of the team and the support which sounded superb last night , i take my hat off to you all just 3 days after our last away game. However, just one thing to pick you up on , to say JCR is now showing the potential that everyone thought he had is sadly wrong , as so many on here and inside the ground doubted. There is a lesson to be learned here for us all , many players would have buckled at the criticism he received whereas he has shown huge charachter to play through it . Aswell a displaying an abundance of skill this man who may be small in stature has shown he has a massive heart and great desire to do well for himself and our Club.

Thanks for the report FBM , its allways good to hear about the whole day ie the travel the pubs , the locals etc along with the actual 90 mins . Wasnt there last night but was so proud of the team and the support which sounded superb last night , i take my hat off to you all just 3 days after our last away game. However, just one thing to pick you up on , to say JCR is now showing the potential that everyone thought he had is sadly wrong , as so many on here and inside the ground doubted. There is a lesson to be learned here for us all , many players would have buckled at the criticism he received whereas he has shown huge charachter to play through it . Aswell a displaying an abundance of skill this man who may be small in stature has shown he has a massive heart and great desire to do well for himself and our Club.

What I meant to say was that everyone thought he had potential when we signed him but it has yet to be seen until recently.

Back