• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
TEN MAN BLUES SNATCH LATE POINT

Southend battled against all odds to claim a precious point at Roots Hall today which will assist in the fight against relegation.

It may be easy for some to see this as two points dropped but given the manner of last weeks defeat, the midweek furore, the fact that we were behind twice and we also appeared to be playing the officials as well I think the players can take huge comfort from this peformance.

The match started well enough for Southend with some crisp passing football being played and an excellent move in the 8th minute saw Freddy played into the box where he only had the keeper to beat but was denied by a very good save and then by a defenders block.

To rub salt in the wound Leicester went straight down the other end and scored. Leicesters shortest player Porter (he makes JCR look tall!) crossed for the next shortest, Iain Hume, to plant a free header home from 8 yards. Sloppy defending in truth.

Horsfield went close for the visitors soon after with another header and then the ref gave us a clue as to what was coming when he comically booked the striker for falling over, presumably for simulation.

Apart from 2 fine saves by Darryl, there was little of note in the first half and Southend huffed and puffed without working the keeper Henderson again. At half time there was little sign that Southend could get back into the game and Blues had a huge slice of luck in stoppage time when Clarke misjudged a long ball and was outpaced by Hume who raced clear, slotted the ball over Flahavan but also past the post.

The second half was a different ballgame as Southend took control from the off and didn't let Leicester settle at all. As Gower and Maher started to make their mark in the middle, cracks appeared in the Leicester armoury and the linesman Mr Artis had to come to their rescue with a couple of dubious offside flags before Freddy chased a long ball into the box, cut inside and drilled a low shot past Hemderson for a 53rd minute equaliser.

Just prior to this, both linesman and referee were guilty of being influenced by a Leicester player after Campbell-Ryce won the ball with a lunging tackle which was nowhere near his opponent, who nevertheless decided to writhe in agony anyway. The decision to flag and book was only made having seen the player down; initially there was no intention of stopping the game.

Foran was booked on 58 minutes when a Leicester player went down holding his face after an aerial challenge which, from my view, seemed innocuous but it was over the other side of the pitch.

Southend however were in complete control now and Leicester could hardly get the ball out of their half. More dubious offside flags were raised by Mr Artis to prevent Freddy sprinting clear of the defence from positions that looked to be clearly onside. The tackles started get get a little bit tasty as well, with Maher twice being caught late by Johnson with no action being taken by the ref. Then, Bradbury was subbed for McCormack on 75 and Foran moved up front with Freddy. The ground waited with anticipation to see what was probably most peoples preferred strike partnership but they only had a minute to judge them as Foran was sent off for a second bookable offence, this one a tackle from behind which was probably fair enough.

This knocked the stuffing out of Blues momentarily and a draw seemed the most likely outcome. Three minutes later, Freddy chased a long ball in front of the RBS family stand and tussled with the defender, who hauled him to the deck. Amazingly, assistant Mr Artis flagged for a Leicester free kick. From that the ball was pumped forward and eventually found itself to Hammond, who squared the ball for Hume to bundle home. I couldn't see from my angle, but apparently Hammond seemed to be offside by some distance.

Now there's nothing like a sense of injustice to get the Southend players going and amazingly, with 10 men against 14 and just 9 minutes left, Southend rolled their sleeves up and found yet another gear. Rather than Leicester close the game out, the home pressure intensified and Leicester were reduced to further time wasting tactics. On 85 minutes Sodje had a header tipped onto the bar and 2 minutes later made way for Harrold as Blues went 3-3-3 to try and salvage something. Leicester were reduced to time wasting and as full time approached their full back Maybury fell over Francis in front of the RBS and lay prostrate on the ground for ages amid cries of "cheat" from the crowd. This was possibly a touch unfair as the player needed to be stretchered off and as he was being taken around the pitch Southend put the ball into the box and it squirmed across for McCormack to slot home from close range. Cue delerious scenes!

Injury time brought no further reward but the players gave everything and totally deserved not to lose. It may seem as though we have dropped two points but it will be the next four matches in my opinion that determine our fate. All of these are winnable.

Ratings -

Flahavan - 7 - 2 fine saves in the first half to keep us in it and then was a virtual spectator. No chance with goals.

Francis - 7 - Vastly improved performance after a shaky start and contributed well
Hunt - 7 - Decent showing in a strange position and made some great tackles
Clarke - 6.5 - Showed signs of his recent great form but also signs of his early season problems
Sodje - 7 - Dominant enough once he had settled and unlucky not to score late on

JCR - 7.5 - Looking back to his best again after his recent injury
Maher - 7 - Took grip on game in second half and linked well with Gower
Gower - 7.5 - Obviously enjoying his central role and made several incisive passes
Foran - 6.5 - Not as effective as against Palace and perhaps should have thought twice about making a tackle from behind having already been booked

Bradbury - 6 - Little change out of Kisnorbo or Mcauley all afternoon and should have perhaps done better with a second half header
Eastwood - 8 - MOM - Was a handful all afternoon. Worked hard and got us back in it with a signature goal.

Subs -

McCormack - 7.5 - We really miss his drive and spark when he's out. Here's hoping he can stay injury free.
Harrold - 6 - On late for Sodje but had little influence

The officials - 3 - As poor as I have seen. They just got worse and worse. When are we going to get some decisions that go our way, or, more to the point, that just don't get made in our opponents favour?

Last edited:
Good report, wouldnt disagree too much with ratings.

Cant say that Gower played better than Maher yesterday. Far too many times he couldnt complete a 5 yard pass for my liking and didnt look as comfortable in the middle as previous games. Maher I thought was much better and put in some of the heaviest tackles Ive seen him do.

Thought, apart from Clarkes normally huge gaffe of the game that he did ok, certainly better than Sodje who again looked shaky first half.

Great report fbm... you should take it up professionally. I do wonder if the officals who seemed to leave the field at the end to a chorrus of W**KER! W**KER! which came over load and clear on blues world yesterday, remember their experiences at the Hall and perhaps lean a little or a perhaps a great deal away from us the next time they are asigned to our games.

Good stuff FBM as usual, but I too think Maher had a better game than Gower.

Good report as always, fbm, thanks! :bear:

Just one thing though, I thought Sodje was a bit dodgy at times in terms of giving the ball away and putting us under pressure. I didnt feel Clarke was worse than Sodj but then I'm splitting hairs really!

Agree about the officials - that was a truly shocking display from them. There are people at games marking the officials' performances I think arent there? Hopefully if there was, the monitor took a lot of notes and these officials will then benefit from some extra training!

:mad:

A point about the officials the programme stated the ref would be Mr D Gallagher, I presume Dermot of that ilk. However having just seen WBA v Sunderland Dermot Gallagher was the ref for that game.

I am not saying that Dermot Gallagher (given his record at times) would have been an improvement on the buffoon we had yesterday, but it seems that WBA v Sunderland takes priority over Southend v Leicester.:confused:

I'm surprised you didn't mention Sodje hitting the bar just before their goal but a good report. Much more positive than I was feeling on leaving the ground. The thought of handing six points to a team like that really upset me.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Sodje hitting the bar just before their goal but a good report. Much more positive than I was feeling on leaving the ground. The thought of handing six points to a team like that really upset me.

I'm glad that you said that, I could have sworn that Sodje's header was just before they made it 2-1, wheras fbm said it was when we were pushing for an equaliser. I thought I was going crazy....

Good report though. The ratings were slightly higher than mine and I felt that Sodje was the worst of the back-four but theres not a huge amount in it.

Agree with most of that except - dare I say it - Flahavan's mark. A 6 from me at best. Hume's first goal was no more than 3 yards out wirh a static Flahavan still rooted entirely to his line. I just cannot be happy when a 'keeper can't command his six-yard box.

Mr P. Artis was a disgrace. I can only assume that on a day trip down to Southend at some stage in his life he copped a dose.

I had to run down from the back of the West Stand to the front when McCormack netted the equaliser to make sure he didn't have his flag raised. I was convinced he would do.

Agree with most of that except - dare I say it - Flahavan's mark. A 6 from me at best. Hume's first goal was no more than 3 yards out wirh a static Flahavan still rooted entirely to his line. I just cannot be happy when a 'keeper can't command his six-yard box.

Both Leicester goals were from balls inside the 6 yard box. Had he been brave he could have attacked the ball for Leicester's second as well.

The Leicester keeper (who was up for the award of championship player of the month) claimed similar crosses to their first goal outside the 6 yard box.

Flahavan also recklessly came off the line when a Leicester forward was running away from goal and had two men on him. Awful decision-making again.

Finally, his chronic indecision at goalkicks is surely going to cost him a booking for time wasting - even when the rest of the team are chasing the game!

Can hardly blame him for the second.

Thought his overall game was pretty good, made a couple of great saves and, had a good command of his area most of the time.

flahavan isnt perfect but he is still a good keeper and I cant understand why people want to give him a 5 every game.

He didn't make a "couple of great saves", he made two saves where he should never have got himself in a position to have to make a save.

One was a far-post header that he tipped round for a corner, which he should have come for the cross and instigated a counter-attack rather than have to defend a corner.

The second save he made a very poor decision to leave his goalline when the player was running away from goal and had two men on him.

It is ludicrous to suggest that he "had a good command of his area most of the time". He doesn't. If he didn't the opposition wouldn't have scored twice from inside the 6 yard box.

He didn't make a "couple of great saves", he made two saves where he should never have got himself in a position to have to make a save.

One was a far-post header that he tipped round for a corner, which he should have come for the cross and instigated a counter-attack rather than have to defend a corner.

The second save he made a very poor decision to leave his goalline when the player was running away from goal and had two men on him.

It is ludicrous to suggest that he "had a good command of his area most of the time". He doesn't. If he didn't the opposition wouldn't have scored twice from inside the 6 yard box.

Having watched the goals again, Flahavan had no chance with the first one. It was a near post cross whipped in and Hume was on the 6 yard box. If Flahavan had started to come he'd have got nowhere near it. It should have been dealt with by either Francis, Sodje or Clarke.

Thought Harrold did well with our goal as he was on the floor when he slide the pass to Mccormick for our all importent 2nd goal

Just for that i'd give him a 7

Nonsense. I doubt any keeper would have been able to claim that cross. Porter knocks them in with such pace, and curling away from goal, that before the keeper can deal with them they are past him.

Having watched the second goal a few times now, I think it is a Sodje own goal. Hume shapes to hit the ball back across the goal, and Flahavan goes down to his right to cover that but Sodje's leg diverts the ball away from him into the corner.

Back