• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
As in keeping with all the TV live games, I won't bother with the report as such but just a general overview with my player ratings.  

This is being written without the benefit of seeing any posts on the game, or watching any of it again on the box.  Purely my view as I saw it.

Thanks to the wonderful new turnstile system in the West I was stranded down Shakespeare Drive for the first 5 minutes of the match.  To be honest, I was lucky to be there as I didn't know until early afternoon whether I would actually make the match or not.  My father in law fell down some stairs at Stratford station on Monday evening fracturing his skull and only really came out of his coma yesterday afternoon.  He is on the mend but whether he will make a full recovery, well, who knows?  It has been a bit of a week therefore.  Fortunately my wife's sister and brother were up there today (we did yesterday).  The brain is bruised and swollen but today he started saying a little bit more and he was more coherent than  he was yesterday.  Sorry to start the report with morbid news but having got the word that he had made a big improvement today I thought there was only one way todays result could go.  And I was right.

I have to say that for me it was our best display of the season.  Forest have obvious class and we dominated the game.  3 or 4 nil would not have flattered us.  It is always a good sign when the opposition fans are quiet and there were plenty of them just sitting on their hands.  Their team gave them little to shout about... no, let me rephrase that.  We didn't allow their team to give them anything to shout about.  For my money there were 7 or 8 Blues on the top of their game today, and we set a new club record, went top of the table, and all watched by a few million on the box.  How good is that? Quality.

Ratings:

Flahavan - 9 - Confident, supreme performance.  Handling good, distribution good, made 2 good saves and communicated well.  

Hunt - 9.5 - MOM.  It is difficult to see how Lewis Hunts performance today could be improved upon.  He won tackle after tackle, header after header, made some great interceptions and the crowning moment was when he tracked back on Commons when he was clear in teh second half and made a goal saving tackle.  Superb.
Edwards - 9 - Again, another player in complete control today.  Difficult to fault and barring injury I can't see how Spinner is going to get his place back.
Barrett - 7 - Not quite at his best and got caught in possession a couple of times but his committment cannot be faulted.
Wilson - 8 - Made one poor challenge in the first half but was very, very solid and di extremely well.

Bentley - 8.5 - Fantastic stamina, a couple of really good crosses and won numerous challenges.  Got booked though.
Maher - 7.5 - Steady but unspectacular.  Allowed Bents and Gutts to run the show today.
Guttridge - 8.5 - Phenomenal work today and nearly scored with a great shot from 25 yards that hit the post.
Cole - 6 - Was ok - but ok for him means he gives the side nothing.  Went on one great run in the first half but otherwise didn't really contribute much.

Gray - 8.5 - Great work rate and his pace worried them at time.  Unlucky to be subbed really.
Goater - 7 - Linked play up well but really should have scored 2 goals today.

Subs -

Freddy - 7 - Missed two good chances and took his goal well.
Campbell-Ryce - 6 - Looked decent but found it difficult to get into the game really.

The noise of the Forest fans was a funny one. Unusually, I was in block W of the West Stand so I was both closer to the Forest fans and in the middle of the Southend fans.

I was really impressed with the variety and frequency of the chanting there in a game that failed to spark the crowd. At the same time, I heard a few chants of "Nottingham" but that was about it.

Yet, when I return home and watch the game again (yes, all the coverage too), suddenly you can hear a lot of East Midlands voices chanting. I swear they must turn up the volume for away fans.

Hope your father-in-law gets well soon

In depth and interesting as always

Hope your Father in Law gets better.

I think youre a bit harsh on Cole, it was just that we were more effective when the ball came to Bentley on the right

Bentley looked solid on the wing, really has made him a more useful player to the course now being able to play mc and mr
ryce looked 6.5 atleast, beat a few men and has the pace, should have had a goal if it wasnt for freddy.

Shocker to hear about your father in law fbm - hope he gets better soon.

From the comfort of my armchair (couldn't get away from London), I agree too that Lewis Hunt was man of the match today... spot on, fbm - a brilliant report as always.  His goal saving tackle on Commons was simply superb - two footballers going toe-to-toe, both of whom are clearly good enough to play at least one level above their current one, and Lewis coming out with the ball.  Superb.

A slightly bits-and-pieces first half; but second half there really was only one side in it.  Truly awesome.

8 wins on the bounce, top of the league, over 10,000 in the ground.  We really have never had it so good.

Very proud to be a Shrimper today.

smile.gif

Matt

Thanks for the report - I wish your father in law a speedy recovery.

I was supposed to be at the game but due to matters out of my control had to watch the game on sky.

My dissapointment at not being there was made up as I watched Freddy score and witnessed a record breaking team with my 10 month old son sitting on my lap kitted out in his sufc gear. When he gets a bit older I wil tell him that he witnessed the record being broken and he will be a shrimper for life!!!

I have bought the papers and will keep the reports for him to saviour

Excellent report, as usual.

A bit surprised you gave Flavs a 9 and effectively made him man of the match. If you hadn't been there, it makes it sound as though we snatched the game due to Flavs brillance. I thought he had a relatively quiet game (a measure of just how well we played against a Forrest team who I'm sure will at least make the play-offs), with just the one decent save to make.

The game and performance very much had the feel of the Newcastle 4-0 in 91/92. Absolutely immense. Didn't sleep much last night I was buzzing so much!

PS sorry to hear about your father-in-law. Hope he's on the mend soon.

Spot on, particularly re: the back 4 - Edwards nicked MOTM for me but all of them were (once again) superb. IMHO, Freddy coming on lifted the game and he has to be in the starting 11 on Saturday. Wouldn't want to say who should be dropped though...

How many marks for the Jack Lester dive? I am surprised this has not got a mention and surely he was off for a second yellow? I've not watched the tape yet but it looke like blatant cheating.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Prodigal Son @ Oct. 10 2005,13:22)]How many marks for the Jack Lester dive? I am surprised this has not got a mention and surely he was off for a second yellow? I've not watched the tape yet but it looke like blatant cheating.
We're still waiting for him to land...much like the balls Forest kicked out of the ground

[b said:
Quote[/b] (hexagon_sun @ Oct. 10 2005,13:11)]Spot on, particularly re: the back 4 - Edwards nicked MOTM for me but all of them were (once again) superb. IMHO, Freddy coming on lifted the game and he has to be in the starting 11 on Saturday. Wouldn't want to say who should be dropped though...
At the moment I'd use Freddy as an impact player from the bench.

Gray and Goater are tiring out defences and Freddy is coming on to deliver the killer blow. His feet are just too quick for tired defences and it must be a demoralising sight for the opposition to see him and JCR coming on.

One of the few criticisms of Tilly last year was his poor use of substitutes. However, I think his use of the bench over the last few games has been excellent and he has made the right subs at the right time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ Oct. 10 2005,13:09)]A bit surprised you gave Flavs a 9 and effectively made him man of the match.  If you hadn't been there, it makes it sound as though we snatched the game due to Flavs brillance.  I thought he had a relatively quiet game (a measure of just how well we played against a Forrest team who I'm sure will at least make the play-offs), with just the one decent save to make.
But I gave Bentley and Edwards 9's as well, with Hunt getting 9.5.

My reasoning was that Flahavan did absolutely everything correct and it would be difficult to better the performance. Even though he wasn't as busy as he could have been, he communicated well with the defence and for the first time this season the back four plus Flavs performed as a solid unit rather than as 4 individuals.

When we defend like that we'll be very hard to beat.

Agreed about Lewis. He is fast growing into the greatest right back to pull on a blues shirt. Another inspirational call by Sir Steve, making that switch when Juppy got injured last season. Those wanting the Yeovil bean pole right back - I hope you've changed your minds. Cafu is a blue!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Oct. 10 2005,14:06)]But I gave Bentley and Edwards 9's as well, with Hunt getting 9.5.
Oops, should have read the ratings more thoroughly
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southendsleeper @ Oct. 10 2005,13:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Prodigal Son @ Oct. 10 2005,13:22)]How many marks for the Jack Lester dive? I am surprised this has not got a mention and surely he was off for a second yellow? I've not watched the tape yet but it looke like blatant cheating.
We're still waiting for him to land...much like the balls Forest kicked out of the ground
Having watched it on tv as well, he certainly went down theatrically but it was a firm (but fair) challenge and I'm sure it would be enough to knock most of us off our feet!

Another thing you see on TV is how incredibly close Bentley's effort was. Shame Guttridge couldn't have played him in to shoot on the run rather than checking back

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Prodigal Son @ Oct. 10 2005,13:38)]I wondered if they had placed a bet with a Far East bookie on number of times ball was kicked out of ground?
I wondered if the ref had a similar bet on the number of times the whistle would be blown !!!!
suspect.gif

[b said:
Jack Lester is noted for his diving. He'd never get a penalty now even if he were decapitated!

The result on sunday meant that I didn't mind having to go back to uni. Went into town and chanted 'we are top of the league' to a Col Ewe fan (a rare sight) who was giving me stick about my SUFC shirt.
biggrin.gif

Back