• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Southend blasted Brentford apart in front of over 10,000 fans at Roots Hall to storm back to the top of league one.

In the past, Blues have normally suffered stage fright on such occasions but it became evident as soon as the players ran out onto the pitch that they were pumped up for this one.

After a quiet start Southend began to take a grip on the game.  Bees manager Martin "Mad Dog" Allen looked as though he was going to give himself a seizure and was unbelievably animated, choosing at one point to vent his anger almost totally for what seemed about 5 minutes on promising Bees forward DJ Campbell.

The deadlock was broken on 19 minutes after a rehearsed set piece routine paid off and home debutant Efe Sodje nodded the ball home via his navy and white bandana.

Southend contained Brentford with comparitive ease and nearly doubled the lead when Gower played a pass over the top for Freddy to run clear but he poked his effort just wide with only the keeper to beat.  However, a few minutes later Eastwood beat 2 defenders, took the ball into the right hand side of the box and unselfishly squared for Gower who shot past the keeper.

Sodje cleared a Campbell effort off the line before Southend produced the move of the match at the end of the half which nearly produced a match killing 3rd goal.  Gower, Bentley Maher and Gray all combined but the final effort was blocked.

Allen had the Brentford players out early for the second half  in an effort to shame them into action but they started with a whimper and Blues took up where they left off.   As the hour mark approached, another set piece nearly came off as Grays mish!t shot hit the bar and in the ensuing scramble Bentley bundled the ball in but the effort was ruled out for a handball by Sodje.

Just 3 minutes later though the crucial 3rd goal came as Barrett stooped to nod home for his first of the season.

From the kick off Maher won the ball before it had even left the centre circle and set Gower away down the right. His cross was cleared to a defender who struggled to keep the ball in play in the South West corner and the ball clearly crossed the line but for some reason the linesman didn't give it and the ball was cleared upfield.  Sodje squared the ball to Barrett whose first touch was too strong and Brentford won the ball back. A ball was played into space for Campbell to run onto and he hit a superb shot into the far corner.

For 10 minutes Brentford had the upper hand.  Frampton hit the bar with a header and the otherwise totally useless Owusu started to come into the game (am I glad he chose not to come here!).  Prior went off with what looked a very nasty injury and with 12 minutes left his replacement Wilson stormed down the left into the box  and received Gowers perfectly weighted pass to notch his first ever career goal.

Game over. Hutchinson became the 3rd opponenet is as many games to leave the Roots Hall pitch for an early bath after a running spat with Guttridge gave him his second booking in as many minutes.  

In short, this was the most complete display of the season and there did not seem to be one chink in the armour.  In my opinion the crucial element was the awesome partnership of Maher and Guttridge who completely ran the midfield.  Add to that the strength of Bentley and the return to form (and fitness) of the influential Gower and if they keep this up Blues will be in the Championship come August.

Ratings

Flahavan - 8 - A supreme performance with excellent handling.  No chance for the goal.

Jupp - 7 - Got booked for a late challenge in the first half but was otherwise solid.  In truth, he wasn't tested much.
Prior - 7 - Really pumped up and strong and formed good partnership with Sodje.  Nasty injury that may rule him out for a while.
Sodje- 8 - Capped home debut with a goal.  Not as good in the air as perhaps he should be but very solid and seemed to give some added strength to the defence.  Sponsors MOM - predictably.
Barrett - 8 - Looked good as left back when he had Brooker in his pocket and also as centre half.  Notched first goal of season.

Gower - 8.5 - His best display by a mile.  Still prone to silly errors but very creative and had a hand in all the goals.
Maher - 9 - Probably the best display I've seen him put in.  He was awesome and only made 2 wayward passes in the whole match.  A superb performance.
Guttridge - 9.1 - MOM.  Shaded the MOM award from Maher because he didn't make 2 wayward passes.  Any scouts watching will be reporting back to their clubs and expect a big offer before the end of January.  I hope he stays because he was all over the place today.
Bentley - 8 - The final piece of the midfield jigsaw.  Strength, pace power and whilst not having as much influence on the game as the other 3 his contribution can't be underestimated.

Gray - 8 - Brentford struggled to cope with him all game and his work rate and presence took the attention of the defenders and allowed the rest of the team the space they had.
Eastwood - 7 - Ditto Gray, but should have scored in the first half.

Subs -

Wilson - 7 - Solid and got his first ever goal.
Goater - 6 - Not really on long enough to do anything.
Ademeno - 6 - Good to see him get a few minutes.  Had one effort but scuffed it wide.

The officals - 7.

Ref not bad at all.  Lino in front of the West in the second half gave us nothing and made some strange decisions, although personally I think the disallowed goal was correct.

A superb report, fbm - and spot on. I totally agree that it was the Maher & Guttridge show... when they're on form like they were yesterday, you have to wonder whether there are two better central midfielders in the division.

Wonderful to see Marky Gower back to his best. He even tracked back! Cole & JCR won't get a look in whilst he's playing this well.

If we can maintain the belief and intensity we showed yesterday, then (to be honest) the only sides in this division who can match us are Swansea and, dare I say it, Col******r (their 2-0 victory at Walsall makes it 14 wins in 16 games - promotion form in anyone's language).

An amazing display, a full house. If we keep this up, dig out those maps to Selhurst Park, Pride Park and The Stadium of Light for next season...

biggrin.gif

Matt

good read! just saw the goals on the championship, good job southend! 3 defenders scored today hehe

Excellent report as usual fbm.

Not being a member of KMIAG (Kevin Maher Is Always God), praise where due, I thought he was outstanding yesterday.  There appeared to be a couple of reasons for it IMO. He didn't keep trying to play those highly irritating, to me anyway, 1st time stabbed/prodded often looping passes generally with the outside of his boot which often go nowhere, and result in too much KM arm waving at all & sundry.  As a result he kept the ball down at the other players feet which gave us far more chance to control the play rather than giving it away too regularly.  Top quality today in all areas Captain Crab!  
biggrin.gif

I totally agree about Sodje.  There were several times he didn't even seem to jump for the ball when you assumed he would win it in the air reasonably easily.  But looked solid other than that & by all accounts could have had his 2nd goal if the effort at Oldham hadn't hit the woodwork.  Used the tactic much employed by Lincoln with Ben Futcher in that he arrives in the box very late, almost as an afterthought, which doesn't give the opposition time to reorganise properly.  Certainly seems to fit the Tilly mould of a player who strengthens the squad rather just a squad player.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Jan. 15 2006,10:35)]His cross was cleared to a defender who struggled to keep the ball in play in the South West corner and the ball clearly crossed the line but for some reason the linesman didn't give it and the ball was cleared upfield.  
Great match report. Agree with it all except the ball crossing the line! From my view in the South Upper the linesman was spot on
tounge.gif

Interesting that Tilly thought Guttridge was rubbish today. Maybe some Mourinho-esque psychology or just pure madness.

Bentley was great and gives us extra strength in midfield. Cant see Cole getting back in the side if he carries on like that. LIke the tactic of Flavs aiming all goal kicks at him too, he won nearly all the headers out there.

Flavs was superb when coming for the ball today too!
biggrin.gif

I'm not sure we'll find the away game such a walk in the park on Valentine's Night. Brentford struggled all day with Gray's pace but I think Sam Sodje will cope better when he's back. Will be interesting to see 2 Sodje's on the pitch
upside.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpador @ Jan. 15 2006,11:31)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Jan. 15 2006,10:35)]His cross was cleared to a defender who struggled to keep the ball in play in the South West corner and the ball clearly crossed the line but for some reason the linesman didn't give it and the ball was cleared upfield.  
Great match report. Agree with it all except the ball crossing the line! From my view in the South Upper the linesman was spot on  
tounge.gif
Really?

From the RBS stand (also the lino's view) the ball appeared to definitely cross the line.

But maybe we saw it because we wanted to.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Jan. 15 2006,11:34)]
[b said:
[b said:
tounge.gif
Really?

From the RBS stand (also the lino's view) the ball appeared to definitely cross the line.

Everyone in the family enclosure was going nuts. I dont think the whole ball crossed the line though. Maybe if we were losing I would have thought differently
rock.gif

I am sure that the third goal was helped , in a large way , by Sodje moving up the park late for the corner and making the Brentford defence panic at his arrival.
No team likes playing against him and I think he will be a great asset as long as his gangly legs don't give away too many free-kicks in dangerous areas.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mcnasty @ Jan. 15 2006,12:15)]I am sure that the third goal was helped , in a large way , by Sodje moving up the park late for the corner and making the Brentford defence panic at his arrival.
No team likes playing against him and I think he will be a great asset as long as his gangly legs don't give away too many free-kicks in dangerous areas.
Totally agree, they were confused!!!

Lets ave more of that!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpador @ Jan. 15 2006,11:40)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:
tounge.gif
Really?

Everyone in the family enclosure was going nuts. I dont think the whole ball crossed the line though. Maybe if we were losing I would have thought differently  
rock.gif
I was in the family stand and thought it was clearly over the line so did everyone else around me (the angle from the South Upper would surely be hard to tell) - I am one of the quietest people there is but was up out of my seat hurling abuse at the linesman which is very unlike me which shows how bad the decision was especially after the dissallowed goal thing as well.

Might as well put my observations about the match in this thread.

What a match. As good a performance as I can ever remember seeing from a Southend side, especially considering the size of the crowd and the quality of the opposition. Every one of our players stood up today and straight from the kick off we looked up for it. Crucially, All of the front four comprehensively won their individual battles with their Brentford markers. Their left-back couldn't deal with the power of Bentley on the right. Eastwood and Gray looked like a real partnership and both, imo, gave their best team performances in a Southend shirt as they pulled the Brentford defence apart at ease. Guttridge was everywhere, as usual. And Maher and Gower were spraying the ball all over the place in an exhibition of passing that David Beckham would have been proud of.

At the back, Jupp did well when cald upon. Sodje is a beast, although it would be nice if he occasionally jumped for a ball. And Spinner looked confident and assured alongside his new defensive partner. AB was MOTM for me though. Admittedly he gave the ball away for their goal, but other than that it was a sensational performance from the heart-beat of our team. whether it was marauding forward down the flank, putting in meaty challenges or popping up with the third goal, AB did it all yesterday. Even shrug off a nasty looking leg injury and being kicked in the head in the melee that led to the disallowed goal.

A special word for Flavs too. Without wanting to open that particular can of worms, I thought that his handling of the area today was impeciable, especially as Brentofrd's one early plan seemed to be to stick as many high balls into the six yard box as possible to test him. The hapless Nelson at the other end served as a good example of the standard of lower league keepers, and frankly we're lucky to have Darryl.

On that note, did anyone else see the goals that Barnet conceeded yesterday? If Flitney was ingoal for them (I haven't checked) then its a good job that Tilly manages the side and not some of those who advocate signing him and binning Flavs....

Anyway, great game, good atmosphere (and fair play to the Brentford suport for making themselves heard even towards the end) and I'm looking forward to the re-match on the 14th Feb already.

Oh, and I've just remembered the other thing I was going to say. Hopefully Spinner gets back soon, because at the momenht we look like we're going to score a hell of a lot of goals from set-pieces. Earlier in the season when we had Barrett & Eagle in the side, the opposition would stick their best defender on AB at set-pieces. Now, with Barrett, Prior and Sodje in the side we have a massive arial threat in those situations. And thats not to mention Bentley, who is taller than all of them, and Eastwood who is another 6ft-er.

As long as the delivery from Gower/Maher is up to scratch, we're going to cause a lot of teams problems.

A famous victory AND the fbm view and ratings back! Good-oh!

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (stickyboy @ Jan. 15 2006,12:58)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpador @ Jan. 15 2006,11:40)]
[b said:
[b said:
[b said:
tounge.gif
Really?

rock.gif
I was in the family stand and thought it was clearly over the line so did everyone else around me (the angle from the South Upper would surely be hard to tell) - I am one of the quietest people there is but was up out of my seat hurling abuse at the linesman which is very unlike me which shows how bad the decision was especially after the dissallowed goal thing as well.
Your view was probably best from RBS. Thought the ref and linesmen did OK on the whole though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Jan. 15 2006,15:25)]A famous victory AND the fbm view and ratings back! Good-oh!

smile.gif
They were actually back for the Bournemouth match but no-one seemed to notice...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Jan. 15 2006,13:36)]Oh, and I've just remembered the other thing I was going to say. Hopefully Spinner gets back soon,
according to adam barrett*, he should be back next week

*thud*

laugh.gif

Back