• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
HULL HUMBLE HOSTS IN HALLOWEEN HORROR

Southend hit rock bottom as they yet again conceded three goals at home to gift fellow strugglers Hull the points on a chilly Halloween evening.

In a poor encounter, it was obvious that both sides lacked quality and confidence as the opening exchanges saw the teams take turns in misplacing passes.  The odd moment of quality shone through and, in fairness, it was usually Southend that looked to be playing the better football.

After 15 minutes however, Hull settled and tested Flahavan on 2 or 3 occasions.  A free header from a corner went narrowly wide as Blues defensive shortcomings were again highlighted.

As the half hour mark approached, Southend took the lead.  Gower broke down the left and squared the ball to Harrold, who got a little lucky with a deflection and the ball trickled over the line.

Boaz Myhill, the Hull keeper, was having a 'mare and collided with his own player to drop the ball at the feet of Francis but his shot from the angle of the box towards an unguarded net went out of play for a throw in.

Blues only held the lead for 5 minutes or so and a poor Hunt clearance let in Fagan, who laid the ball back to an unmarked Parkin who easily shot past Flahavan.

Fortunately we avoided the almost obligatory goals just before and just after half time and then bucked the trend by taking the lead again.  Sodje strode forward unchallenged and had loads of time to thread a perfect ball to Freddy, whose quick feet took him clear and he finished comfortably.

At 2-1 up Blues should have really built on the lead but once again a cruel piece of luck let Hull back into the game. Parkin won a debatable free kick 30 yards out and Elliot's shot went through the wall, deflecting past Flahavan on the way.

Hull seemed to give Southend a real chance when Ashby needlessly kicked Harrold in the back with his studs and was shown a straight red.  Parkin should have gone almost immediately afterwards, but the ref missed his kick at Sodje and wasn't even cautioned.  With Hull down to 10 men, surely they would put everyone behind the ball and protect the draw.  Well, lets give credit where it's due; they didn't, and after 65 minutes a sweet one-two between Fagan and Elliott saw the former Col******r man stroke the ball past Flahavan to give the Tigers a 3-2 lead.

At that moment the belief drained visibly out of the players and audibly out of the 10,000-plus crowd.  There were a few vain attempts to get some singing going but in short there was no spark, no atmosphere and no passion.  The players tried hard enough but Hull had the defensive measure of everything Southend threw at them.  There was, however, one great chance with 10 minutes left.  Freddy hit a trademark thunderbolt that Myhill could only parry out and the ball flew very quickly to a diving Harrold who nodded it past the grounded keeper but wide of the empty net.  That was that and why we didn't make all three substitutions to try and change the game I just don't know.

It is very difficult to see how we can possibly turn this around.  When our players play to their best, then we are good enough to survive but at the moment we have too many players off the boil.  At least we can't get any lower!

Loan players may be the answer but we need pace, strength, stature and quality in order to mix it and our squad is significantly lacking in all those areas.

Pace - our quickest player (Cole) is on loan at Northampton and our 2nd quickest (JCR) is on the bench.

Strength - Paynter - obvious physical strength but out for 6 weeks and I don't think he was ever fully fit  I'm also not convinded as to his ability.  Prior - injured.  Sodje - has been injured.  Bradbury - injured.  Clarke - currently being played out of position.  

Stature - Prior, Paynter and Sodje - see above.  Ricketts - has gone.  Collis - on bench.

Quality - who, in our side, has genuine Championshiop quality?  Francis, Paynter and Hammell have all come fom this standard or higher but are all still settling and Paynter's injured anyway.  Clarke was tipped for great things.  Bradbury and Prior are injured and Sodje has only just come back.  Maher and Freddy are the only ones in the team who look to have the quality necessary.  JCR is unproven at this level and people like Cole and Hooper have come from Conference clubs, whilst Collis and Harrold have come from league one Yeovil and weren't even first choice players there!  

Ricketts was our big name player but he wasn't interested, obviously. Flahavan, Wilson, Hunt, Barrett, Gower, Guttridge, Maher, Eastwood, Lawson and Smith were all with the club in league 2.  We just do not have enough Championship quality in this squad - it's as simple as that.

At least we now know what we need to do but I can't help feeling that our best chance of survival would be to sell Freddy in January and invest in 3 or 4 decent players to strengthen the squad overall.

Ratings -

Flahavan - 6 - Didn't get near any of the goals but questions need to be asked about whether a change is needed.

Hunt - 6 - Made an error for their first and didn't look comfortable all evening.
Barrett - 7 - Struggled against Parkin but gave 100%.
Sodje - 8 - MOM- Good to see him back and the defence looked more solid as a result.
Hammell - 6 - Had a quiet game and too many corners failed to beat the first man.

Francis - 6 - Was subbed on 76 minutes and looked ineffective.
Maher - 5 - Worst game I have seen him play for some time.  Far too many misplaced passes.
Clarke - 6 - Added height and a touch of strength to the otherwise lightweight midfield
Gower - 7 - Alays wanted the ball but final pass sometimes lacking.

Eastwood - 7 - A decent game, well taken goal and can feel aggrieved at the lack of service.
Harrold - 7 - Did well with what little service he recieved.

Subs -

Guttridge - 6 - on for Clarke but hardly noticed
Hooper - 6 - On for Francis but couldn't get into the game

Ref - Mr Joslin - 7 - Played good advantage, which I like.  One of the better ones.

Very good overall point of view there FBM. Totally agree.

I'll add that it has now come to the point where RM HAS GOT TO FIND THE FUNDS to get the required players into the club.

Considering whats at stake regarding FF it's imperative that the money is found from somewhere to finance our stay in this league. If that means the club going into hoc by 3 million until the Jan transfer window and we sell Freddy then so be it.

Please please please Ron, tell Tilly that money is no restraint and go out there and get the players required.

For once I actually don't agree with everything you say, Clarke was a by-stander for the whole game, as it just passed him by. I agree that Maher struggled but that was because he was trying to do the work of two men.

I agree though, that maybe we need to change the keeper........

Maher had his worst game this season

Clarke wins headers, tackles hard but his distribution is poor

Why make only TWO changes, and even then with barely ten minutes left?

and I'll probably get slated for this but I have to agree................I would like to see Collis given a chance. Darryl came then backed off for their first goal, plus that's two free kicks in two games that maybe a taller keeper would have reached.

These comments are of course my opinion

Spot on report there FBM, top stuff. I think we need at least 5 players in January. The way we are getting sliced through in midfield and down the flanks is very worrying.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BILLERICAY BLUE @ Nov. 01 2006,08:06)]For once I actually don't agree with everything you say, Clarke was a by-stander for the whole game, as it just passed him by. I agree that Maher struggled but that was because he was trying to do the work of two men.

I agree though, that maybe we need to change the keeper........
I thought that Clarke did some decent stuff at times, but in fairness his distribution remains poor.  The whole game bypassed our midfield as we kept playing the ball over the top... was this because we didn't have Guttridge as an outlet perhaps?

At the end of the day Clarke is a central defender playing in midfield which is hardly his fault.  We have a right back playing as a wide right midfielder, which 3 games ago everyone was hailing as a masterstroke.  Do things change that quickly?

We need people playing in their proper positions as far as possible.  Francis is ok as a right back if he's got JCR in front of him.  Hammell is still a better left back than Che Wilson, and again after the Norwich match he was hailed as the long lost left sided messiah we haven't seen since the days of Chris Powell.  But one poor game and the knives are out...

As for the Tilson out brigade... well, lets look at the clubs that have changed managers already this season in the Championship.

WBA, Sunderland, Norwich, Sheff Wed and Leeds are the ones that spring to mind.  All that did was give them a honeymoon period when a few decent results were achieved before the rot returned.  In Leeds case, it appears that the period was precisely 1 game (against us).  Sunderland have now lost 9 games and their form is almost as it was before Keane took over.  WBA have stuttered of late, Norwich lost 5-0 at SToke and could only manage a draw last night at home to Col U, and Sheff Wed are probably still in their honeymoon period which will no doubt end fairly soon.

We need to have faith, and accept that this season is going to be a huge uphill struggle.  Loanees are needed certainly, if only to strengthen the squad, which, whilst probably good enough for League 1, is nowhere near Championship quality.

Again, as above I tend to agree about the change in 'keeper. However, I fear that Collis may not be up to scratch(?).

I agree that very few of our 270 goals against this season are directly Darryl's fault. However, maybe, just maybe, the defence (and the majority of players who have played in defence this season are new to the club) have little confidence in the 'keeper. Our weakness at set plays is probably down to this fact.

Good report.

I was shot down in flames for saying that we were unlucky given the nature of their second goal.  
smile.gif

We were definitely in the ascendancy at that point.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Nov. 01 2006,08:13)]Maher had his worst game this season

and I'll probably get slated for this but I have to agree................I would like to see Collis given a chance. Darryl came then backed off for their first goal, plus that's two free kicks in two games that maybe a taller keeper would have reached.

Yeh, Collis is great on them deflections!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]plus that's two free kicks in two games that maybe a taller keeper would have reached.
I havent seen any tv footage but Darryl cant be blamed for the free kick. He was covering the right side of the goal and the wall were covering the left. The ball went straight through the wall. If you want to blame someone for that goal, blame the bloke in the wall who moved, not Darryl. Anyone know who it was?

Few points.

a) Can't be certain but I was always fairly sure that JCR was thought to be one of if not the best player in rotherham's relegation season. I believe one of them called him the one bright spot in a horrible season. He's certainly played this level before but has yet to discover the menace that I'm sure he's capable of.

b) The more I watch us, the more I think that most of our defensive problems stem from the ease with which the opposition can get to positions where they can square the ball across the box in comparison to the difficulty we have. Having JCR on helps because he gets back so quickly but Gower, for all his effort is never going to catch up a quick attack. I don't think it would be such a problem if we didn't give possession away so easily but as we don't have ten excellent quick passers of the ball, we're getting exposed too easily.

c) Actually, having written all that, I think we're going to have to pull something fairly miraculous out of the bag. We're not relegated, of course we're not, there's ages to go yet. However, when I look out on that performance, I can't help but think that most of our players were playing ok and yet we still lost to a very poor and often badly organised Hull team. If it was a one-off, fine, but the Coventry game was soul-destroyingly similar. Moment of brilliance from Eastwood wrestles the game back to us and we still can't concentrate to hold on. In terms of my view on our chances of staying up, I'm definitely in the "down" camp unless I see anything that I've not seen so far this season.

sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Nov. 01 2006,14:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Nov. 01 2006,08:13)]Maher had his worst game this season

Yeh, Collis is great on them deflections!
Oh give it a rest wiggy, how predictable! Look if you wanna shag Flahavan that's fine but at least don't be blind to his faults.

Notice you haven't posted re his HUMUNGOUS clanger yesterday? Yes the whole team is poor and the defence is pathetic but that doesn't mean Flavs is absolved of blame, he STILL doesn't command his box properly and that's a MASSIVE problem for the defenders in front of him.

Back