• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The way I see it Darryl couldn't win. He's done what he's done and you moan about it. If he'd stood there and let the bloke lob him, you would have moaned about it. I do feel sorry for the man sometimes some people just dont like him and no matter what he does some people will never be happy. After having Darrly back for the last few games I personally feel more comfortable with him in goal than Bart as I always feel Bart is prone to make a mistake (e.g against Macc) and I think Darryl should be No. 1. I do believe though that you should ALWAYS have a sub goalie on the bench (Morgan) even if he is unproven and from the youth team, I'd rather have him in goal than 1 of our strikers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I do feel sorry for the man sometimes some people just dont like him and no matter what he does some people will never be happy

To be fair, I think a lot of this is people responding to the Pro-Darryl camp, and the fact they seem to complain about any new keeper. If some of Darryl's fans weren't so incredibly blinkered (not a dig at you, just in general) then they wouldn't wind up the non Darryl fans, and wouldn't get such anti Darryl vitriol in response.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] do believe though that you should ALWAYS have a sub goalie on the bench

Valid point, or would be were people saying this BEFORE last night's match, and not just with the benefit of hindsight

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Valid point, or would be were people saying this BEFORE last night's match, and not just with the benefit of hindsight

I've been saying this since Bart got injured and especially after Bentley got suspended

i couldnt believe how far daryl was actually outside his area on the replay. didnt look that far last night. but in amongst the daryl sending off and tes in goal. its easy to forget that for the first 45 mins tes and wayne absolutely terrified their defence
smile.gif

I clapped him off but then i more i thought about it, the more i realised what an idiot he was. I know he wouldn't have thought about it but i would have backed Flav's to save the one on one as the striker would have been under pressure from Barrett and even if we did go 2-1 down, we still would have gone onto win.

We played like absolute strokers in the second (bar some great defending) and luckily for us Boston were just as inept trying to break down 10 men, as we were defening with 10.

Tes. You're a god. Glad to see everyone is starting to agree with me, Chadded and Andy_S ...

laugh.gif

Waking up in the cold light of day today, I actually shuddered at the thought of last night's game. We were indeed very lucky to win and there is no getting away from the fact that we cannot afford to continue riding our luck. The debate about not having a GK on the bench is a very real one and someone posted something the other day that may have been intended as irony, but now... becomes reality.

I was [possibly] one of the first to promote the use of Nick Morgan from effectively a number 3 GK to number 2 in Bart's absence and really do not think there is anything wrong with that. Why not give him the opportunity of first team experience? I believe he IS OLDER than Wayne Rooney was, when he saw first team action at Everton!!! [that's where the comparison ends BTW!].

I have no objections to Tilson taking the odd risk, but we have to be objective here and the simple fact is that to NOT provide GK cover in the event of "whatever!", is an error in judgement... maybe, if Tilson starts seeing a few grey hairs coming through, he may realise that you cannot take things too much for granted... you may get a head full of them [like me!
sad.gif
].

UP THE SHRIMPERS... MAKE US PROUD!
blues.gif

What a night! The effort and spirit shown last night was top notch. We defended heroically to protect Bramble in the second half, and it certainly wasn't one for the faint-hearted last night.

No one had a bad game tonight, and everyone gave 100%. Prior and Barrett were awesome at the back, despite being constantly elbowed and pushed by those dirty northern so and so's from Boston (Evans is obviously passing on his cheating skils to them, their number 16 deserves an oscar for his acting last night).

Gray ran his heart out and had by far his best game in a Southend shirt so far (was there any point in signing Eastwood?), and Bramble was superb up front and a professional goalkeeper would have been proud of the save he made at the end. Boston were rubbish (as were their fans), god knows how our scout thought they were the best team he'd seen so far this season.

Good attendance too last night, shame most of the extra fans were little chavs who used the south lower as their street corner for the night. As for the ref, well he should be sacked by the FA. Absoloutely disgraceful, he may aswell have just worn a Boston shirt for the night (although he did get the sending off right). Oh well, we only need 10 men!
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Boston were rubbish (as were their fans), god knows how our scout thought they were the best team he'd seen so far this season.

In fairness, if the Darlo scout saw us at Cambridge he may well have said the same thing, and we hardly covered ourselves in glory last weekend up there!

But I didn't see an enormous amount of quality in their side, and as I have said, they were very niggly and un-sportsmanlike.

Im very proud of the players to be honest and was proud to be at the game, it was what football should be, and if i had the chance of Chelsea v Man U or what we had last night then id pick RH anytime. It was a superb article for lower league football and it had everything. Goals, Sending off, Bad Ref, excitement, end to end stuff.

We really did play some lovely passing football and it was a pleasure to see compared to the Up and Under stuff we have had to endure in the last few years, A Nice goal by Gower and really got us off and running, Second was great, lovely pass by Bramble to Gray who finished it off. And we were all over them.

As for Flavs well he went for the ball, he isn't the first person to get sent off for handling outside the area and he won't be the last, although i believe his done it before last year and does deserve a talking to, lets lay off him he made a call and got it wrong. I think his punishment will be the fact he had a month to impress Tilly and now his got a 3 match ban so bang goes his chance of 1st team football. Come Half time i didn't think we would hold on and when they scored i felt it was all over they would quickly get another one but hey it didn't work out that way.

Thought some of the tatics in the first half were worrying i.e the way we sat back so much and let them attack, still it worked so well done Tilly. Shame not to see Eastwood but delighted to get 3 points and if we can play like we did in the first half and keep a GK in goal then i see no reason why we can't talk about a play off place.

Oh and superb atmosphere last night and it shows you there are the fans there and if we win games they will be back and we do make a noice !

Well done to Bramble, it's not a easy thing to play 50 minutes in goal esp if your a striker but he made one or two big touches and certainly alot of praise for him and the defence.

P.S, The Ref was one of the worst iv seen in a while, Boston were a dirty physical side who every chance they had tried to bring us down, no doubt there dirty Manager told um to do it. and what did the ref do ? Sod all, a right little Hitler, w***er

UP THE SHRIMPERS !

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swanseashrimper @ Oct. 09 2004,11:52)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I do feel sorry for the man sometimes some people just dont like him and no matter what he does some people will never be happy

To be fair, I think a lot of this is people responding to the Pro-Darryl camp, and the fact they seem to complain about any new keeper. If some of Darryl's fans weren't so incredibly blinkered (not a dig at you, just in general) then they wouldn't wind up the non Darryl fans, and wouldn't get such anti Darryl vitriol in response.
Indeed, I'm not in the 'Pro Darryl camp' but I think we could do worse than him and I do believe he's better than Bart, but thats just my opinion. As much as it is annoying that some people that think Darryl is god and can do no wrong, the 'Anti Darryl camp' are just as annoying in that they always jump to have a dig at him and think he can do no right.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpboy @ Oct. 09 2004,15:00)]Gray ran his heart out and had by far his best game in a Southend shirt so far (was there any point in signing Eastwood?),
Shrimpboy - take a gold star for all your comments !
biggrin.gif

Eastwood's only on loan for a month and may give Bramble and Gray the incentive they need to keep turning out those sort of performances. I'd be very surprised if he sees any first team action unless one of the first teamers get injured. Of course if he scores freely in the reserves then by all means give him a run out.

There has been lengthy debates about both GK's since we signed Bart in the summer and to be honest, there is little to choose between them.

Granted, our performances have improved since Darryl has been between the sticks, but that [IMHO] is not entirely down to him, but the team collectively. I wouldn't give him more credit for our improved performances than he deserves, nor imply that I have a preference for either.

I do suspect however, that he will be available before Bart is ready to return to action and just MAY be lucky enough to keep his place in the squad after his suspension...  
wow.gif

Really thought that there was around 7000 fans at the Hall last night... The East & South were full and the atmosphere was electric, everyone was singing and but for Boston only scraping together a measily handful of fans, I think we could easily have exceeded that figure!

It's a real shame we can't have some of the North Bank for games like this. If we find ourselves in the top 3 at any stage during the season, we will certainly fill the West, East & South stands comfortably, but still only have around 7000 fans in the ground and excluding sterile areas, there will be some 3500 seats going to waste for a handful of away fans...

I wonder if RM has considered this, as financially the club would benefit immensely... He could use the "sterile" block X [West], which holds probably 400 or so and the North West corner holds another 5-600 and he could spend a bit of money segregating the North Bank [Adding an access gate, which could be manned on matchdays and blanket covering the seats not being used, wouldn't cost a lot!]. It's potentially another 1000 seats that could be used, without infringing Health and Safety. Access to these areas would be from the northern side [rear] of the West Stand, whilst the away fans would still gain access the ground from Fairfax Drive and enter the ground from the North-East turnstyles...  
wow.gif

I know the idea of getting the North Stand back has been "done to death" but until we move to a new home, we really need to make the best of what's available to the club and IMHO I think this could be feasible.

UP THE SHRIMPERS  
blues.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Indeed, I'm not in the 'Pro Darryl camp' but I think we could do worse than him and I do believe he's better than Bart, but thats just my opinion. As much as it is annoying that some people that think Darryl is god and can do no wrong, the 'Anti Darryl camp' are just as annoying in that they always jump to have a dig at him and think he can do no right.

Just for the record, I am not in the anti-Darryl camp particularly.  I think he is a decent keeper, but he, like any other keeper, has failings.  He cannot do anything about his height, and does not have great command over his area, but he does make some decent saves that have, in the past, kept us in the game.

Personally my preference is for Bartman, simply because of his presence, which I feel gives us something else.  We concede far too many goals with Darryl, and I think many of them can be put down to his shortcomings rather than mistakes he has actually made.

But he takes an age to get rid of the ball sometimes, and as for Fridays little episode... well, surely as the only keeper in the club Tilly or someone would have said to him "Look, Darryl, whatever you do try not to get injured and for God's sake don't get yourself sent off as you're the only keeper."  Even if Tilly hadn't said it, we have all thought it, so surely he must have thought it too?

It was absolute crass stupidity and we were lucky to get away with it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Oct. 10 2004,11:10)]Tilly or someone would have said to him "Look, Darryl, whatever you do try not to get injured and for God's sake don't get yourself sent off as you're the only keeper."  
My wife didnt tell me today not to hurt myself. Does that mean I am allowed to get run over?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barmy Army @ Oct. 09 2004,09:06)]What I didn't understand was most of the fans feeling the need to stand up and applaud Darryl as he left, what exactly did he deserve that for?
rock.gif
i think you'll find b.a. that the fans wanted to show their support of the keeper who clearly knew he had made a considerable blunder that could have cost us the game, but i don't see why people have to come on here and abuse him for his mistake. at the end of the day we got the 3 points and that is that.
however we are now faced with a problem as to who will wear the next sufc keeper shirt as both flavs and griemink will be unavailable.
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Oct. 09 2004,00:39)]Before the ratings, a couple of points.

2) Flahavan is a knob. He KNEW he was the only keeper, yet he handled the ball outside the area. It would have been better to have conceded a goal and stayed with 11 men. We would have won 4 or 5-1, such was our dominance. Instead he has let us down, and then petulantly thrown his wristbands onto the pitch as he was walking off, having severely abused the linesman for giving a perfectly correct decision.
I completely disagree with you Flahaven was doing his job and what he did was 100% reaction- he was trying to protect our lead.

If we took that attitude then every mistake a player made on the pitch would make them responsible for all the problems and trouble on and off the pitch?

He made a mistake, big deal im sure he didnt do it on purpose. Get in a loan keeper problem solved. WE got the 3 points which was the main thing

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Oct. 10 2004,01:49)]There has been lengthy debates about both GK's since we signed Bart in the summer and to be honest, there is little to choose between them.

Granted, our performances have improved since Darryl has been between the sticks, but that [IMHO] is not entirely down to him, but the team collectively. I wouldn't give him more credit for our improved performances than he deserves, nor imply that I have a preference for either.

I do suspect however, that he will be available before Bart is ready to return to action and just MAY be lucky enough to keep his place in the squad after his suspension...  
wow.gif

Really thought that there was around 7000 fans at the Hall last night... The East & South were full and the atmosphere was electric, everyone was singing and but for Boston only scraping together a measily handful of fans, I think we could easily have exceeded that figure!

It's a real shame we can't have some of the North Bank for games like this. If we find ourselves in the top 3 at any stage during the season, we will certainly fill the West, East & South stands comfortably, but still only have around 7000 fans in the ground and excluding sterile areas, there will be some 3500 seats going to waste for a handful of away fans...

I wonder if RM has considered this, as financially the club would benefit immensely... He could use the "sterile" block X [West], which holds probably 400 or so and the North West corner holds another 5-600 and he could spend a bit of money segregating the North Bank [Adding an access gate, which could be manned on matchdays and blanket covering the seats not being used, wouldn't cost a lot!]. It's potentially another 1000 seats that could be used, without infringing Health and Safety. Access to these areas would be from the northern side [rear] of the West Stand, whilst the away fans would still gain access the ground from Fairfax Drive and enter the ground from the North-East turnstyles...  
wow.gif

I know the idea of getting the North Stand back has been "done to death" but until we move to a new home, we really need to make the best of what's available to the club and IMHO I think this could be feasible.

UP THE SHRIMPERS  
blues.gif
Yeah spot on Techy!

I know I would be tempted to change my ST again!

Especially if it meant watching from the North Bank!

If we were to get into the top three at any stage (which I strongly believe we will), then imaging the atmosphere there!

Could at least try it for one game?

wow.gif

Back