• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Tilly said it wouldn't be pretty.

Bentley said it would be ugly.

Neither were lying.

Chester have to be the most cynical side I have ever seen at the Hall.  I would hate to have to watch that rubbish every week and they started time-wasting in the first few minutes.  Every time they got the ball the sole aim was to put as much distance between it and their goal as possible.  Dreadful, dreadful stuff.

I have to say that I didn't think they were particularly dirty, but they were a strong, physical side that stifled our midfield at every opportunity and tried to beat us at hoofball.

As the second half wore on they took the mickey time and time again out of the officials, the crowning moment culminating in the substitution of Ben Davies, who took nearly a full minute to walk off the pitch, getting slower and slower all the time, pausing to applaud the 50 visiting fans on two or three occasions as he went, and incensing the crowd.  What did the ref do?

Nothing.

Which, thankfully, was precisely what Chester ended up getting out of the game.  And it was exactly what they deserved.

I personally had a bad feeling about this match and the weather didn't help.  Blues started the match kicking into a strong wind towards the North Bank and Chester set their stall out very early.  It was immediately obvious that there was only one football team out there, as Southend started the brighter and created what chances there were.  However, after 8 minutes, the game had been stopped twice - one comedy moment where the ref engaged in conversation with a Chester player for 30 seconds or so before the visiting player had to leave the field to change his shorts, and then a few minutes later when a defender received a minute or two's worth of attention on the pitch for what looked like a foot injury while we were waiting to take a corner.  Shortly afterwards Fredy broke clear into the right hand side of the box and hammered an effort narrowly over.

After 15 minutes Mark Gower, who had looked very good, turned ex-Shrimper Andy Harris inside out, cut in from the right and struck a Gower special curler against the post and it rebounded to safety.

At this point it was a question of "when" rather than "if" we would score, but as the half went on Blues ran out of ideas and Chester dragged Southend down to their level.  Blues played too many long balls up to Gray and Eastwood who battled manfully away but got little change out of a strong defence.  The game degenerated into a string of petty fouls and challenges, a lot of huff and puff with very little quality on display.  

Then, after 38 minutes, Southend played the best football of the half and created two gilt eged chances.  The first saw Pettefer break out of defence and charge downfield, running a full 60 yards before laying the ball left to Gower who only had the keeper to beat, but his shot was tame and straight at him.  A minute later some lovely passing on the right saw Bentley beat the offside trap and square the ball to an unmarked Gray who sidefooted again straight at the grateful Chester keeper form 6 yards out with the goal at his mercy.

At that point most fans probably considered that this wasn't going to be Southend's day.  We would have been worth a half time lead and Chester really had very little to offer as an attacking force.  Half time came as a welcome respite and bring on the Blue Belles in their Santa minis - must have been bloody cold out there!  Still, it warmed me up...

Onto the second half and Southend came out all guns firing, and won a corner in the opening minute.  However, Mahers delivery was poor - one of four or five flag kicks that were easily claimed by the keeper, much to the frustration of the crowd.

After the first 5 frantic minutes of the second half when Chester were hanging on a bit it was almost as if Southend had decided they had given it their best shot and failed.

The team basically ran out of ideas and started shooting from 30-35 yards out.  Pettefer was constantly in space but for some reason or another the ball never got to him, and Gower and Eastwood tried to be far too casual and flashy with their distribution.  This was a night for blood, thunder, sheer endeavour and determination. However, Chester started to come into it and broke through after an hour, with Davies forcing a superb save out of Griemink.  Bartman keeps us in the game again!

At last Tilly decided to mix it up and replaced the deteriorating Gower with Bramble, who offered a stronger option and something different for the Chester rearguard to think about.  But we still didn't look like scoring and another substitution was made 5 minutes later with a disappointing Eastwood making way for an eager-to-please Dudfield.  Chester had by now comfortably settled for a point and were practically non-existent as an attacking force, and then they recruited two more members to their team, namely the ref and one of the assistants who made some extremely dubious decisions.  One of these consisted of booking Bentley for questioning a linos decision (taking the ball 10 yards further forward in the process) yet doing absolutely nothing to stop the most balatant timewasting I have ever witnessed on a football pitch.

Still, the real drama was still to come as Blues suddenly learned a lesson in the 88th minute that should have been learned much earlier in the game.  They actually kept the ball on the deck and passed it around the Chester players instead of trying to go through them.  As a result Southend worked their way down the pitch and started to look threatening.  Cue some assistance from Southend's Man of the match, visiting full back and ex-Blue Andy Harris.  He must have a real soft spot for the club because he did his level best to make sure we won it with a string of misplaced passes, wayward crosses, missed tackles and bad control.  After our decent move, the ball was played into the Chester half and towards the right touchline.  Andy Harris put in a 40 yard clearance, but instead of going down the line it went up into the air.  For some inexplicable reason the keeper retreated to his line instead of coming to try and claim the ball.  Duds kept his eye on it, blew the snow off it as it landed, killed the ball with a sublime first touch that brought it immediately under his control and slotted it into the bottom corner of the net to the keepers left.

Wild celebrations erupted around the Hall, and with this came the realisation was that Chester were going to get their just desserts.  I personally thought they would come at us frantically in the last few minutes but they didn't; it seemed they were unable to up their tempo at all.  They are just a very poor side.

Let us look at the last 2 games.  By and large we have not played well, but then we have to expect that in this division.  When you are high in the table, the opposition will try and stifle you and stop you playing.  In the past we would have lost or drawn tonight and also last Saturday at Bury.  But what has happened?  Bart saves an injury time penalty to get us the points and we nick a very late winner tonight.  That's 6 points instead of what could have been only 2 and this is what separates the wheat from the chaff.  It is when you come through games like this with a win that the players will really start to believe they can do it; and once our lot have the self belief, then anything is possible.

Ratings

Griemink - 8 - Great save when we needed it, confident handling and I think the dodgy kicks were more down to the conditions as their keeper struggled as well.

Hunt - 7 - Did fairly well tonight but in fairness Chester posed no wide threat so he didn't have much to do defensively
Barrett - 7 - Tough game, got caught a couple of times but made some good tackles too
Prior - 7 - Won the aerial battles against the giant Cortez Belle
Wilson - 7 - Same as Hunt to be fair.

Pettefer - 8 - Made lots of great interceptions and found an awful lot of space but for some reason either his team mates didn't want to pass to him or the ball was intercepted
Maher - 6 - Not the greatest game - dead ball delivery very poor.
Bentley - 7 - kept going and going but struggled in a stifled midfield to make any real impression, with the exception of 2 or 3 occasions
Gower - 7 - Very bright opening 40 minutes and then went off the pace.  Resorted to long range efforts rather than trying to create something.  Still doesn't look fit to me.

Gray - 7 - Missed a couple of good chances that would have gone in on another day.  Usual 100% effort
Eastwood - 5 - Sorry Fredy, very poor.  When he is not scoring he doesn't offer much.  Needs to warm the bench and give Duds his chance

Subs
Bramble - 7 - Did well when he came on and vastly improved over the Orient display
Dudfield - 8 - Great winner with supreme skill just prior to tucking it away.

Southend MOM - Chester full back Andy Harris - 9.  He gave us everything, created the goal, and basically was a complete pile of poo.  It is rare I have seen an ex-player (he is only 27 and should be in his prime) come down here and perform so badly.  Cheers Andy - you have reminded me why I haven't missed you.

Can't disagree with much of that. Maybe I'd give Barrett another mark and make him our MOM.

I don't think Bart's bad kicking was totally down to the wind either. The wind moves the ball in the air, but Bart seemed to be slicing a few of his kicks straight off of his boot. Looked like poor technique rather than poor conditions. But he was there when we needed him to be, just like at Bury and like I said in another thread you just can't argue with a clean shet.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Chester set their stall out very early

Cliche alert!!!!
biggrin.gif

I missed the game tonight due to other commitemts sounds like I didn't miss much, still well chuffed we ground out a win!!

THE BLUES ARE GOING UP!!!

Thanks fbm, a report that gave me a real flavour of the match. Realy nice to see some creative early substitutions from Tilly!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Dec. 18 2004,01:08)]I don't think Bart's bad kicking was totally down to the wind either. The wind moves the ball in the air, but Bart seemed to be slicing a few of his kicks straight off of his boot. Looked like poor technique rather than poor conditions.
If it wasn't the conditions then we witnessed two keepers who both sliced lots of their kicks from the South Stand end into the East Stand. The goal nets were being blown sideways by a strong westerly wind and I am sure the kicks were affected also.

But who cares when we get to the dizzy heights of fourth in the table. We are so high my nose is starting to bleed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Dec. 18 2004,01:33)]Thanks for a full in depth report.

Dedication
I'm just that kinda guy...

Seriously though, having started something, and having seen it evolve into the popular read it appears to be, I can't really do anything less, can I? I'd be disappointed to do a short two paragraph jobby.

And for the people who can't get to the match, I try and make it long enough so that it takes them at least 90 minutes to read it...

wink.gif

The following is the bizarre report from the Chester Website on last nights game. Apparently they changed their style from their normal hoofball for last night! I'd hate to see what they are like normally!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]December 17th 2004, 19:45 at Roots Hall, Southend Attendance: 4,837
Southend United 1 - 0 Chester City
Match report Coca-Cola League 2

This was a much improved Chester performance tonight, with the hoofball style of play dropped for tonight's game, and hopefully for good. In fairness though, Southend just about edged it over all and came away with all three points, but neither side really took control of the game and Chester will consider themselves unlucky indeed to come away empty handed courtesy of an 88th minute goal.

A quiet start to game was punctuated by a comedy moment as newcomer Dave Bayliss went to the edge of the pitch with a problem with his shorts. Lets just say what happened next as he sorted himself out will not be seen on 'What happened next' unless it is shown after the 9pm watershed.

Southend were the first side to push forwards with Eastwood shooting wide right in the 6th minute of play. Then in the tenth minute they were awarded a free kick in the right hand channel which Maher floated dangerously into the box. Phil Bolland was there for the Blues though with a good headed clearance.

Southend should have taken the lead in the 15th minute when Gower broke clear in the left hand channel and sent in a long range diagonal shot into the box, which ricochetted back of the right hand upright.

Chester made an early substitution at this point with Rob Booth replacing Michael Branch up front. Branch hasn't been in the game so far so at this stage we can only assume he picked up an injury during the warm up.

Chester had a good opportunity in the 21st minute with Andy Harris making a good run down the right hand side. He played an excellent cross it towards Cortez Belle. Belle met it with a header but Griemink in the Southend goal was covering his goal well and made a routine save of it.

Southend won a corner in the 38th minute after Phill Bolland made an excellent tackle to stop a good run from Wayne Gray. The corner was floated to the far post but Wayne Brown was first to it, rising above the crowd to pluck the ball out of the air.

At the other end Ben Davies had a shot at goal for Cheester but it didn't have enough power behind it giving Griemink no problems. A few moments later Cortez Belle broke clear and hat a shot at goal which was mish*t and ended up over the roof of the stadium, almost hitting a window in one of the flats backing on to the stadium.

Belle wasted an indirect free kick inside the penalty area after a pass back to the Southend keeper. This was obviously one set piece situation that hasn't been covered in training recently as Chester players were all over the place and Belle's free kick went straight to a Southend defender for clearance.

At the other end Carl Pettefer made an excellent run down the left hand side for Southend setting up Mark Gower with a shot on goal. The shot was excellent, bringing out an equally brilliant save from Wayne Brown.

Almost immediately Southend came forwards again, this time down the right hand channel courtesy of Mark Bentley. His cross found Wayne Gray but his shot was straight at Wayne Brown, in front of the away contingent of 105 Blues fans.

Deep into first half injury time Chester were awarded a corner which Ben Davies played short without coming to anything. Half time stalemate then here at Roots Hall.

The second half got off to a quiet start with the first real chance in 52 minutes after Mark Gower made a good attacking run down the left hand side of the field.

At the other end Cortez Belle beat his marker to get a cross into the middle of the goalmouth area from the edge of the box. Hunt tried to clear the ball but headed it straight to Ben Davies whose header went wide of the right hand upright.

On the hour mark Drummond made a good run unchallenged down through the centre of the field. He set up Davies for a shot but his shot was parried away by the keeper. Davies himself collected it as it went towards the corner flag and crossed it back into the box where there was a short scramble before it was cleared away from danger. Good positive attacking from Chester.

There was a dangerous moment for Chester in the 73rd minute when Southend substitute Tes Bramble hit a long range shot from about 30 yards out. It took several slight deflections on its way through the goalmouth area and eventually went wide left of the post.

Tes Bramble had a chance to give Southend the lead on 83 minutes after a good ball in from Lewis Hunt on the right. Once again though it was the flats behind the stadium who were in more trouble than the back of the net as he blasted the shot well over.

After a solid and much improved performance from Chester, and just when it looked like they would get something out of the game, Southend took the lead in the 88th minute with a tapped in goal from substitute Lawrie Dudfield from a few yards out. The ball came in from the right, took a deflection off a Chester player and landed kindly for him, giving him the easiest of finishes.

An unfortunate end to the game them for the Blues, just when it looked like a change of style would pay dividends with a share of the points at a difficult away fixture, they come away empty handed. Well not quite, for this was a much more solid performance from Chester than of late, and that at least is something positive that can be built on going into the festive period.

Report by Campbell Smith

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpergarry @ Dec. 18 2004,07:38)]The following is the bizarre report from the Chester Website on last nights game. Apparently they changed their style from their normal hoofball for last night! I'd hate to see what they are like normally!
The best thing about Chester were their drummers, I thought they were really good!!!

great report, agree totally with all was written. so angry that a team can come here and time waste, and hoof it in the air for a whole ninety mins

Great report FBM

Just seen the Dudders goal on Soccer AM, it was a brilliant touch to trap the ball and confident finish with his left-foot.

Surely he has to start upfront

FBM, great report. How about a mark of out of ten for the referee and some appropriate comments about his performance so that those lucky enough not to have been there can appreciate what we had to put up with.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fiftyone @ Dec. 18 2004,09:52)]FBM, great report.  How about a mark of out of ten for the referee and some appropriate comments about his performance so that those lucky enough not to have been there can appreciate what we had to put up with.  
smile.gif
Yeah, why not?

The referee was Mr Tos... I mean Prosser. Apart from being the most portly (nay, fat) ref I have ever seen, he, aided by his assistants, did not have any control of the game at all. Not once did he try and hurry any of the Chester players up when they were blatantly time wasting. It was an absolute joke. Time and time again he allowed the Chester team to knock or kick the ball away, not retreat 10 yards from a free kick, take an age getting off the pitch when being subbed or when taking a free or goal kick. They were just taking the mickey in the end.

I don't blame him for the contentious offside decisions as that is down to the assistant. But some of those were very, very poor.

So, marks? 4 out of 10. Possibly a tad generous.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Dec. 18 2004,10:01)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fiftyone @ Dec. 18 2004,09:52)]FBM, great report.  How about a mark of out of ten for the referee and some appropriate comments about his performance so that those lucky enough not to have been there can appreciate what we had to put up with.  
smile.gif
Yeah, why not?

The referee was Mr Tos... I mean Prosser.  Apart from being the most portly (nay, fat) ref I have ever seen, he, aided by his assistants, did not have any control of the game at all.  Not once did he try and hurry any of the Chester players up when they were blatantly time wasting.  It was an absolute joke.  Time and time again he allowed the Chester team to knock or kick the ball away, not retreat 10 yards from a free kick, take an age getting off the pitch when being subbed or when taking a free or goal kick.  They were just taking the mickey in the end.  

I don't blame him for the contentious offside decisions as that is down to the assistant.  But some of those were very, very poor.

So, marks?  4 out of 10.  Possibly a tad generous.
Cheers, finishes your report off nicely. Totally agree with the comments.
smile.gif

Reading the Chester fans report of the game proves what a truly appalling view there now is from the North Stand
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fiftyone @ Dec. 18 2004,10:07)]
[b said:
[b said:
smile.gif
Yeah, why not?

The referee was Mr Tos... I mean Prosser.  Apart from being the most portly (nay, fat) ref I have ever seen, he, aided by his assistants, did not have any control of the game at all.  Not once did he try and hurry any of the Chester players up when they were blatantly time wasting.  It was an absolute joke.  Time and time again he allowed the Chester team to knock or kick the ball away, not retreat 10 yards from a free kick, take an age getting off the pitch when being subbed or when taking a free or goal kick.  They were just taking the mickey in the end.  

I don't blame him for the contentious offside decisions as that is down to the assistant.  But some of those were very, very poor.

Cheers, finishes your report off nicely.  Totally agree with the comments.
smile.gif
Was it just me, or did he also miss one of the most blatant penalties I've ever seen, when Pettefer was hacked down in the box? Also the back pass incident in the first half. What was all that about?!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mr Wooly @ Dec. 18 2004,10:57)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fiftyone @ Dec. 18 2004,10:07)]
[b said:
[b said:
smile.gif
Yeah, why not?

Cheers, finishes your report off nicely.  Totally agree with the comments.
smile.gif
Was it just me, or did he also miss one of the most blatant penalties I've ever seen, when Pettefer was hacked down in the box? Also the back pass incident in the first half. What was all that about?!
I think the penalty thing was pulled back for an offside previous to that... the backpass thing I guess he just interpreted it as such... I'd forgotten that one. Poor decision. I think whoever it was just stuck their leg out and deflected it back rather than pass it back.

Back