• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
I relied on my trusty Sat Nav system to get me to the ground (despite my C********r adventure) and got there at 2:00 having set off from Leigh at 11:30 (petrol stop en route).  Not bad.

Having nabbed the parking space next to the away entrance (and reversed in, making for a quick getaway) we decided to sample the fayre from the main refreshments stall.  Well, more of a restaurant actually.  Balti pies, cottage pies, "famous" Aggborough soup, chicken chow mein and Pork Baps (Hog Roasts, complete with stuffing) as well as the usual burgers and hot dogs - what a selection.  Everything very fresh and hot (and filling - 10/10 for the Hog roast and soup).

So, travel, parking and refreshments - top marks.  All it needed was a result to match.

After a deathly dull opening quarter of an hour, we won a free kick fractionally left of centre about 20 yards out.  Up strode Fredy to drill the ball low to the keepers right.  1-0.

It seemed ages before either side actually did anything else.  Bentley ran through and got injured in a collision with their keeper, and was subbed for Bramble, who came in wide right, with Petts moving into the middle.  We held the Midland side very easily to be honest, and they had their first goal attempt on 40 mins (a dragged weak shot wide) and a flicked header just over after 43 mins.  On the stroke of half time, Nicolau, who had been very poor, ran at the defence, Wilson drew a defender by overlapping and this allowed Nic the time to shoot low to the keepers left from the angle of the box.  I thought it was in but their keeper made a fine save.

The second half improved massively as a spectacle, with both sides threatening more.  Gray ran onto a Fredy pass and toe ended the ball at the keeper who had narrowed the angle well, and Tes played a delightful 1-2 with Fredy who tried to slide the ball under the advancing goalie but again he saved.

Then, Kidderminster started to have more possession and applied some pressure, which we were doing well to withstand.  However, we just could not get the ball clear on seveal occasions.  Bramble had picked up an injury and was subbed, Dudfield coming on up front with Wayne going wide right.  Almost immediately Kiddie equalised.  With 11 mins left, A corner was cleared to the edge of the box, it was played back and a forward prodded home from close range.  1-1.

I thought there was only one team that would win now, as they and their fans were well up for it.  Another set piece from the left saw a near post header flash just wide.  But from the resultant goal kick, the ball was worked down the right channel, Dudfield was played in behind the defence and he squared it back across goal.  It was deflected to the back of the box where Nicolau, who had failed to find a blue shirt all second half, finally got the ball out from under his feet to strike a sweet left foot drive into the top corner.  Fantastic!

Within a minute it was game over as a great move saw the ball worked across the box, Pettefer crossed from the left and Fredy leapt highest to power in number 3.

We played the game out without further incident and held on for a very well deserved win.  The final whistle blew at 5:54 and we were in the car and out of the car park by 5:55, home at 7:45 following a 15 minute comfort break at South Mimms.

Happy days.  But by and large it was not a performance that had "promotion" written all over it.  I'm just waiting for us to start playing.

Finally, before the ratings, Tilly has 2 more injury headaches now.  With Lawson on the bench and Williams in the squad, where was Corbett?  He was on the bench for Mansfield and has disappeared since.  If they are serious concerns we are really down to the bare bones now.

Ratings

Griemink - 7.  Assured and did everything asked of him.  Dominant.

Hunt - 6.  Harshly booked but the dissent didn't help as it advanced the free kick to the edge of the box.  Fairly solid.
Prior - 8.  Dominant on his return.  Didn't put a foot wrong.
Barrett - 8.5 - MOM.  Superb, committed, dominant, everything you want from a centre half.
Wilson - 7.  A pretty good performance from Che and he worked well with Nicolau.

Pettefer - 7.  Looked more effective in the middle alongside Maher after Bentley went off and put over a great cross for the third.
Maher - 6.5.  Was involved in the very few bits that went on in the first half, but the 2nd half seemed to pass him by to be honest.  Got muscled out of it by Birch.
Bentley - 6.  Very quiet and wasn't actually missed when he went off.
Nicolau - 6.  Would have been a 5 if not for the goal. Generally poor.  Set piece delivery very disappointing

Gray - 6.  There were a few signs of his lazy early season form today - and I haven't seen that since he got back into the side.  
Eastwood - 8.  Did everything you want him to do.  Much improved work rate, no casual lay offs and 2 good goals.

Subs -

Bramble - 7.  A real thorn in their side and a very good wide man performance.
Dudfield - 7.  Very good when he came on and set up the second goal
Edwards - 6.  Didn't touch the ball but warmed up well.

Ref - Mr Hall.  5. Some very strange decisions, mostly in our favour actually.  Should have booked Barrett for foot up on the keeper but didn't (I'm not complaining) but gave a very harsh foul against Hunt shortly afterwards.  We got the better deal overall from his incompetence.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Jan. 03 2005,22:42)]Edwards - 6. Didn't touch the ball but warmed up well.
laugh.gif

Good to see that's more than you thought Nicky did for 90 odd minutes.

You say it didn't have promotion written all over it but, in my book, this is what promotion candidates do. Don't play teriibly well but still come away from a tricky encounter with maximum points. For further examples, see Bury, Wycombeand (arguably) Chester.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Jan. 03 2005,22:59)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Jan. 03 2005,22:42)]Edwards - 6.  Didn't touch the ball but warmed up well.
laugh.gif

Good to see that's more than you thought Nicky did for 90 odd minutes.

You say it didn't have promotion written all over it but, in my book, this is what promotion candidates do.  Don't play teriibly well but still come away from a tricky encounter with maximum points.  For further examples, see Bury, Wycombeand (arguably) Chester.
I agree - the sign of a good side is when you can win when you haven't played well.

But we have been getting away with a lot lately and we need to play as we did for the last ten today for a lot longer.

However, sooner or later they will click in gear. We'll need to with our Feb fixture list!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Jan. 03 2005,22:42)]I relied on my trusty Sat Nav system to get me to the ground (despite my C********r adventure) and got there at 2:00 having set off from Leigh at 11:30 (petrol stop en route).  Not bad.

Having nabbed the parking space next to the away entrance (and reversed in, making for a quick getaway) we decided to sample the fayre from the main refreshments stall.  Well, more of a restaurant actually.  Balti pies, cottage pies, "famous" Aggborough soup, chicken chow mein and Pork Baps (Hog Roasts, complete with stuffing) as well as the usual burgers and hot dogs - what a selection.  Everything very fresh and hot (and filling - 10/10 for the Hog roast and soup).

So, travel, parking and refreshments - top marks.  All it needed was a result to match.

After a deathly dull opening quarter of an hour, we won a free kick fractionally left of centre about 20 yards out.  Up strode Fredy to drill the ball low to the keepers right.  1-0.

It seemed ages before either side actually did anything else.  Bentley ran through and got injured in a collision with their keeper, and was subbed for Bramble, who came in wide right, with Petts moving into the middle.  We held the Midland side very easily to be honest, and they had their first goal attempt on 40 mins (a dragged weak shot wide) and a flicked header just over after 43 mins.  On the stroke of half time, Nicolau, who had been very poor, ran at the defence, Wilson drew a defender by overlapping and this allowed Nic the time to shoot low to the keepers left from the angle of the box.  I thought it was in but their keeper made a fine save.

The second half improved massively as a spectacle, with both sides threatening more.  Gray ran onto a Fredy pass and toe ended the ball at the keeper who had narrowed the angle well, and Tes played a delightful 1-2 with Fredy who tried to slide the ball under the advancing goalie but again he saved.

Then, Kidderminster started to have more possession and applied some pressure, which we were doing well to withstand.  However, we just could not get the ball clear on seveal occasions.  Bramble had picked up an injury and was subbed, Dudfield coming on up front with Wayne going wide right.  Almost immediately Kiddie equalised.  With 11 mins left, A corner was cleared to the edge of the box, it was played back and a forward prodded home from close range.  1-1.

I thought there was only one team that would win now, as they and their fans were well up for it.  Another set piece from the left saw a near post header flash just wide.  But from the resultant goal kick, the ball was worked down the right channel, Dudfield was played in behind the defence and he squared it back across goal.  It was deflected to the back of the box where Nicolau, who had failed to find a blue shirt all second half, finally got the ball out from under his feet to strike a sweet left foot drive into the top corner.  Fantastic!

Within a minute it was game over as a great move saw the ball worked across the box, Pettefer crossed from the left and Fredy leapt highest to power in number 3.

We played the game out without further incident and held on for a very well deserved win.  The final whistle blew at 5:54 and we were in the car and out of the car park by 5:55, home at 7:45 following a 15 minute comfort break at South Mimms.

Happy days.  But by and large it was not a performance that had "promotion" written all over it.  I'm just waiting for us to start playing.

Finally, before the ratings, Tilly has 2 more injury headaches now.  With Lawson on the bench and Williams in the squad, where was Corbett?  He was on the bench for Mansfield and has disappeared since.  If they are serious concerns we are really down to the bare bones now.

Ratings

Griemink - 7.  Assured and did everything asked of him.  Dominant.

Hunt - 6.  Harshly booked but the dissent didn't help as it advanced the free kick to the edge of the box.  Fairly solid.
Prior - 8.  Dominant on his return.  Didn't put a foot wrong.
Barrett - 8.5 - MOM.  Superb, committed, dominant, everything you want from a centre half.
Wilson - 7.  A pretty good performance from Che and he worked well with Nicolau.

Pettefer - 7.  Looked more effective in the middle alongside Maher after Bentley went off and put over a great cross for the third.
Maher - 6.5.  Was involved in the very few bits that went on in the first half, but the 2nd half seemed to pass him by to be honest.  Got muscled out of it by Birch.
Bentley - 6.  Very quiet and wasn't actually missed when he went off.
Nicolau - 6.  Would have been a 5 if not for the goal. Generally poor.  Set piece delivery very disappointing

Gray - 6.  There were a few signs of his lazy early season form today - and I haven't seen that since he got back into the side.  
Eastwood - 8.  Did everything you want him to do.  Much improved work rate, no casual lay offs and 2 good goals.

Subs -

Bramble - 7.  A real thorn in their side and a very good wide man performance.
Dudfield - 7.  Very good when he came on and set up the second goal
Edwards - 6.  Didn't touch the ball but warmed up well.

Ref - Mr Hall.  5. Some very strange decisions, mostly in our favour actually.  Should have booked Barrett for foot up on the keeper but didn't (I'm not complaining) but gave a very harsh foul against Hunt shortly afterwards.  We got the better deal overall from his incompetence.
Surely this is plagerism of my report
biggrin.gif
(except that I don't have Sat Nav
sad.gif
)

Anyway, nice to see someone had a similar view of the game.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Jan. 03 2005,23:04)]However, sooner or later they will click in gear. We'll need to with our Feb fixture list!
Wouldn't worry about February.

Swansea (a) - we can beat with 8 men at the Vetch.
Sc**thorpe (h) - are gonna do a York, just a bit more spectacular.
Northampton (a) - we've already beaten twice and it was pretty easy at their place.
Shrewsbury (h) - LDV. Enough said
Bury (h) - Nugent will leave in January and should be reasonably confident of all three.

Admittedly a shade tongue in cheek but I reckon we can pick up a few points, especially in the home games where we've been pretty hot against all the top sides bar Wycombe.

Ah well, let's just get through January first and enjoy the 100% 2005 record. Time to have a look at the table again to make sure they haven't moved us down to a more realistic twelfth.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Jan. 03 2005,22:42)]The final whistle blew at 5:54 and we were in the car and out of the car park by 5:55, home at 7:45 following a 15 minute comfort break at South Mimms.
Did the game kick off an hour late then?!

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Jan. 04 2005,11:23)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Jan. 03 2005,22:42)]The final whistle blew at 5:54 and we were in the car and out of the car park by 5:55, home at 7:45 following a 15 minute comfort break at South Mimms.
Did the game kick off an hour late then?!

wink.gif
Might have done...

wink.gif

OK smarty, 4:54 and 4:55.

Back