• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
I'm not going to do a report as such, but will offer just a few comments about tonights performance... if you can call it that having drawn 0-0 against a poor Canvey outfit.

This time last year a side containing such stalwart strikers as Billy Paynter and Matt Harrold thrashed Canvey 6-1. We had enough players to field almost 2 completely different teams in each half, whereas tonight the other half of the squad was completely rested.

The line up that played most of the match contained 6 first team regulars or would be regulars... Joyce (I'm including him because he is the USA no 3 and if Mildenhall gets injured he will be first choice), Francis, Clarke, McCormack, Revell and Furlong. All of those players would expect to play a fairly big part in the forthcoming season. My comments on those players -

Joyce - played whole game. Looked the part, despite the dodgy permed hair, and was fairly "big" in the goal. Goal kicking sometimes not all that, the first ball he had to catch he dropped under minimal pressure, and he came for a ball he shouldn't have come for in the last minute. Aside from that he only had one save to make from a free kick which he held well.

Francis - If he plays like that in league one he will be roasted. First half he dwelt on the ball too long and kept either giving it away or getting caught in possession. Second half he linked up better with the midfield and overlapped several times but either ran the ball out or hopelessly overhit or underhit the cross.

Clarke - He is probably CCC quality and you would expect him to dominate Ryman League forwards, which he did. In the last minute a route 1 drop kick eluded him and the forward beat him to the ball, heading over a hopelessly onrushing Joyce but the ball went wide. He also missed an absolute sitter in the first half.

McCormack - In this fixture last season he ran the game. Tonight he played in bursts. Didn't dominate as we know he can but maybe he didn't want to overstretch himself. Was captain for the night.

Revell - I cannot remember anything of note that he did, which is very worrying against this level of opposition. I don't think he did much wrong either to be fair, but it was a nothing showing from him.

Furlong - He has taken care of himself and showed some classy touches, very much like Goater used to. Should have scored early on with a free header 8 yards out that he headed over. Nearly scored with an outrageous lob from 30 yards when he saw the keeper off his line. Needs a foil as he hasn't the legs to do it on his own.

As for the rest, we had some fringe players, some kids and a couple of brazilian triallists. Taking the fringe players first -

Lokando - played whole game and took the defensive midfield role. Did ok.

Herd - will be a decent left back in time. A bit lightweight and tended to try and take on one man too many but great distribution.

Ademeno - on for second half and showed decent touches and good strength, even if he did miss a one on one after 50 minutes when it seemed easier to score.

The kids and triallists -

Ronnie Jones - at least I think he was a kid. Lined up alongside Clarke at the back to start. To his credit, his distribution and play from the floor was good. However, he looked anything but athletic, he must be 6'2" and I don't remember him winning one aerial challenge and he kept letting the ball bounce. Criminal.

Rhys Henry - Came on with about 15 left and if anyone thought that after scoring for fun in the U18's last year he could step up they were wrong. He is tiny and was guilty of the "Miss of the Millennium" when he sidefooted the ball past the post from 2 yards out in front of any empty net with 10 minutes left. Loads to learn yet.

The lad who came on for Jones - O'Keefe? Went to centre back and wasn't really up to it so switched with Francis. Got caught in possession from a roll out from joyce which led to Canvey getting the ball in the net and having the goal (harshly IMHO) disallowed.

The lad who came on with Henry at the end to replace the Brazilian midfielder - didn't really get involved much.

The Brazilian midfielder - about the size of Juninho, casual, flamboyant style. Got better as the game progressed. Went down far too easily in the first half.

The Brazilian attacker - Stefiano. Looked fantastic with the ball in his orange boots until he had to do something with it or an opposition player came within 5 yards. Then it all went Pete Tong. Subbed at half time hopefully for good.

To sum up - even with this under strength side we should have easily won this match. Possession wise we must have had 75% at least but I cannot remember one worthwhile effort on target. Yet I witnessed 4 of the worst misses ever... with Henry's and Clarke's being up there as candidates for inclusion on Ian Wrights's next "Worst Football **** Ups" DVD.

Rather get this lot out the way now... as opposed to last seasons free scoring pre season that seemed to dry up as soon as the league matches started.

I just hope this isn't reminiscent of the last time we didn't beat Canvey in pre season friendlies... when we got relegated on both occasions.

Last edited:
I fear you are being unduly harsh .

Firstly you make no allowance for the unseasonal volume of rain that has fallen in the last few days and secondly the fact that Canvey fielded a weakened team on the previous occasion partly due to Barrington Belgrave's pre-occupation with the hamburger stall .

Taking these factors and the absence of the free-scoring Matt Harrold into account it was a decent result tonight and one which inspires me to confidently predict that we shall finish the season as Champions .

As the Haulage Association says - T I R - Trust In Ron

Not a bad summary although it was O'Keefe that came on with Henry and was Ricky Byrne that went to centre half

Im sorry but I was there tonight and I cant believe that we drew 0-0 with **** poor Canvey. What a ****ing shambles.

who was the left back?looked very slight and young but thought he had good foot work and looked comfortable on the ball, maybe 1 to watch in the future? opinions?

That was Johnny Herd, I thought he played well under the circumstances. Clarkey was coaching him throughout, and he was listening and growing in confidence as the game went on. I'd be seriously tempted at putting him on the left wing if we do get Mulgrew, as he was far better getting forward than defending - great ball control and touch. Very lightweight performance, but with half the squad earmarked for the game today at Thurrock it was hardly surprising. I thought Macca had a decent enough game and that Peggy Lokando and Charles Ademeno (when he came on) both looked to have made huge progress since this time last year.

Back