• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Greatest Southend Moment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SUFCStu

President
So after 2 months of trying not the spam the forum, the final two are here.

Winner of Tie 1 V Winner Of Tie 2.

MK Shrimper - Eastwood freekick against Manchester United

v

davewebbsbrain - Ian Benjamin goal that put Southend into the second tier for the first time.

Route to the final

Eastwood freekick against Manchester United

- Runner Up In Group 3
- Round of 16 - Wayne Gray's goal against Bristol City to win League One in 2006
- Quarter Finals - Ricey - The play off final 04-05 vs Lincoln when Duncan Jupp scored.
- Semi Finals -Cockles,Shrimps&Whiteweed - The 4-0 mauling of Newcastle in 1992

Ian Benjamin goal that put Southend into the second tier for the first time.

- Winner of Group 5
- Round Of 16 - Oliver Trigg in the Blue Boar, 19 May 1906
- Quarter Finals - Swansea away in the 2005-2006 season - freddy Eastwood double got us promoted thanks to results going our way http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/editpost.php?p=1361118&do=editpost
- Semi Finals- Clarke's equaliser at Chelsea 2009

Got to be the Bury moment when Benjie put the ball into the net despite being reduced to 10 men after Scully was sent off. The Ref and even the police were against us that day, but cue the celebrations when the final whistle went. I willl never forget that day. :smile:

Promotions come and promotions go, but the Man Utd result and Freddy's sublime freekick was a once in a lifetime moment.

Relive it below, and remember that glorious day.

[video=youtube;g-aZTn9S9S8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-aZTn9S9S8[/video]

There is no doubt that Eastwood's free kick was a great moment, but was it a life changing moment? NO

Eastwood scored a lot of good goals, including many free kicks. The reality of it was from a decent position, he scored a good free kick, but something he did regularly. Also remember we were in the championship that season, so not the giant killing it sounds like it should be.

MK says promotions come and go, but after nearly 90 years of being in the bottom 2 divisions, the realization that Benji putting the ball in the back of the Bury net meant those nearly 90 years of slogging it away in the bottom 2 divisions had it's just reward. The realization that we would be playing against some of the big boys week in week out, makes this Southend's greatest moment.

Beating Newcastle 4-0, going top of the second tier for an afternoon and all the other moments we have had since stem from Benji's goal. You could even say that without Benji's goal, Eastwood's goal may never have happened.

For all those old enough to remember that day at Gigg Lane and for those not old enough to remember it, here is the highlights of that game, one that will forever be in the minds and hearts of Southend fans worldwide:

[video=youtube;s94LR_50iGU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s94LR_50iGU[/video]

Did beating Bury give us headlines around the world from Adelaide to Zanzibar? Did Freddy's goal make headlines throughout the world? Of course it did.

We beat a team stuffed full of internationals, with a goal that Beckham, Charlton, Best, et al would have been proud of.

Vote Freddy!

Ron Martin gives us headlines all round the world with his antics :winking:

From a supporters point of view, that goal opened a whole new world for us. Second tier football was ours for 6 years.

Did Eastwood's goal change your life at all?

It didn't change mine.

Benji's goal however meant that I got to go and watch Southend United at grounds like St.James Park. Changed my life

Ha!I remember that August day when we first played there.It ****ed down and Southend fans behind the goal were in an uncovered standing terrace.Happy days.:happy:(A WPC nearly made me miss the last train back to Nottingham-where I was staying-as she wouldn't let me out of the ground, despite the fact that I showed her my return ticket to prove I wasn't travelling on the supporter's coach).
(Maybe that's why I voted for Benji's goal-though I didn't see it-whereas I did see Freddy's live on the box).

Ha!I remember that August day when we first played there.It ****ed down and Southend fans behind the goal were in an uncovered standing terrace.Happy days.:happy:(A WPC nearly made me miss the last train back to Nottingham-where I was staying-as she wouldn't let me out of the ground, despite the fact that I showed her my return ticket to prove I wasn't travelling on the supporter's coach).
(Maybe that's why I voted for Benji's goal-though I didn't see it-whereas I did see Freddy's live on the box).

I was there, fantastic day out. Thank you Benji for your goal and all the fond memories of those days in the second tier

What a choice to make, both such great memories but while Freddy's free kick was such an amazing one off event the Benji goal at Bury put us with the big boys for the next 6 years and gave us all hope that one day that would be the place we would expect to occupy. Even now we view the championship not as some impossible dream but somewhere we have been before and so something to be achieved.

Both games will live in fans memories till their dying days but my vote has to go to that day at Bury.

Jeez what a choice, but a deserved final I feel. To get to the 2nd tier for the first time was a huge acheivement but I wasn't there, I was at RH for the Freddy freekick what a moment. Not sure I can decide.

Ignore Mr. Grumpy. How good does this look?

vsmanutd-1.jpg

The fact that Freddy's done just about **** ALL for any club since the free-kick says it all really. I can't believe that's got to the final and I can't believe voting is so close.

That's a pretty good summary Tony. That goal from Eastwood should have been the making of him but he wasted the chance. We still got relegated that season and the rest is history.

With Benji scoring at Bury with only 10 men on the field and giving us promotion to the second tier of football for the first time, we went on to great things that next season.

As much as I liked Freddie, I hold Benji in higher regard for many reasons. He always gave 100%, was a team player, such a nice bloke and THAT goal of course.

A vote for Benji is a vote for common sense for THE greatest moment in SUFC history.

That's a pretty good summary Tony. That goal from Eastwood should have been the making of him but he wasted the chance. We still got relegated that season and the rest is history.
Did he waste that chance or did McCarthy ruin it for him?

Back